XCR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5,071 Posts
1/7 was to stabilize the longer and heavier M856 tracer rounds, not much more than that. I'd like a 1/7 (1/8 would be just fine for me too) to run the 75-77gr slugs more accurately.

With the same ammo, my AR's and XCR shoot just about the same, but when you go to a heavier slug the AR outshoots it.

· Registered
5,071 Posts
Terra-

Just a little budget planning, but what kind of time frame would you guess?

This is in no way an attempt to nail you or the company to a set-in-stone date and any information given will not be used at a later date for any reason. ;)

· Registered
5,071 Posts
I can't give you a date, not yet. Early next year.

That's all I was looking for Terra! ;)

Given the option of buying the spousal unit another Coach purse or getting a new barrel, well, that's why I have a couch next to the reloading bench downstairs. I kid, I kid. :D

· Registered
5,071 Posts
Maybe because he wants to! ;) And I beg to differ about longer barrels not being more accurate, it's simple physics, you're already that much closer to the target! :D :D :D

· Registered
5,071 Posts
sinjin- It's your world bro! I got your back! :D

The longest barrel I ever shot 223 out of was a 26" Remmy 700. Slow twist rate on it, varmint gun way back when. If you have the ability you can tailor your load to whatever it needs to do. Velocity, pressure, accuracy, whatever. You can even load a 223 to get a complete powder burn from the tacticool 12" barrel I personally want and minimize muzzle blast and signature...at the sacrifice of other attributes of course.

It's all about preference and what you want in the end. Do I need to shoot heavy slugs from a 223? No, and don't really that often anyhow, I just like to have the option. ;)

· Registered
5,071 Posts
Berger and Sierra are pushing out 90gr slugs now for the ultra far stuff. That sucker about as long as the case, side by side.

· Registered
5,071 Posts
Slow down turbo! Just busting some chops here, no harm intended!

Accuracy is affected by a lot more things than just the barrel, that's just one small part of the big picture. I think we can all agree on that. The bulk of my long range shooting was while humping the M24, it was designed for that. We studied on the little details of why things are the way they are at distance but for the most part I was just good at doing it, it didn't matter much why it worked.

My comment about long barrels was in reference to the heaviest slug available at the time was the brand new Sierra 69gr matchking, the 1/10 twist of the Remmy would keyhole it at 25yds. Alas, no experience with a longer barrel and the newer slugs available now.

When a buddy gets a new rifle I am happy for him and as excited as he is. Doesn't matter if it's a fancy XCR or some plinker Enfield jungle carbine. I don't pass judgment because I feel my rig is superior. It's his preference and if he likes it, great! Once again, all things being equal, marksmanship is mostly mental. If you have confidence in your rig you'll be better off than having that small seed of doubt that says otherwise. If a 20", or a 54", barrel makes that easier, then so be it. Shoot it and have fun I say!

No foul intended here.

· Registered
5,071 Posts
Everything's gravy then! Hooray!

Barrel's are quirky things. A production barrel has to meet so many standards because who knows what is gonna get slung through it? And if it doesn't shoot 'Brand X' ammo to his/her expectations then every forum around will hear about it.

If money were no object you would turn a barrel for each bullet you would shoot and to meet your needed standard, for accuracy or terminally for instance. I think this is where you see some of the low-volume production barrels that are in odd twist rates, because they are being tailored more for a specific loading, like the 1/7.7 twist from Krieger and other places.

· Registered
5,071 Posts
Already asked her about it MickeyC. I tried gift cards, shoes, even a puppy. She wouldn't budge. She has strong juju. ;D

· Registered
5,071 Posts
It depends on the bullet too. Thin skinned varmint or "match" bullets will blow apart easily for sure. We've run M193 out of our 1/7's without much troubles for years. If you bench them you'll see a little difference in accuracy of course but for punching holes, no worries.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.