XCR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did some shooting with the new gas system installed.

I began with Radway SS109. I started at setting 3, which was throwing brass 15 or more feet away.

Setting 2 was still throwing stuff well past 10 feet, so I moved to setting 1, which was just right. Talk about smooth operation!

I then switched to Wolf 62 gr hp, fully expecting to see malfunctions. I ran through an entire magazine with no problems at all on setting 1! This new piston and gas-block are obviously more efficient than the old setup. Setting 1 with the old system would give me consistent double feeds with Radway and Wolf worked most reliably with 3.

I was going to switch to "S" to see if it would work, but the block was hot, I was short on time, and I had to function test an AR I had been having trouble with.

As a side note, the AR I was working on was a "standard" 16" carbine. After shooting the XCR on settings 2 and 1, the AR felt almost excessive in the recoil department (not like they really are) and it's very obvious how much smoother the XCR operates.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I found the same thing, I can shoot on 1 or 2 with most any ammo with the new system. I shot an AR for the first time in a long time this weekend and kept getting distracted by that dang ping...

If you don't have the new gas block you are missing out.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Damn a lightning bolt just hit me! The first time I shot my XCR I was suprised about the amount of recoil that it gave. Much more than I expected. However, this was during the break in period and I shot about 50 rounds to finalize the break in. The block was too hot to dial down so I never got the opporunity to dial it down!

:duh:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Same here, with the original gas block setting 4 was necessary with the surplus ammo I was using. With the new gas block, setting 2 still throws the brass over 10 feet.

My other rifle is a 300 Weatherby, XCR - what recoil?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would be nice to be able to change the gas setting when it's hot. I don't know if it's possible, but if the detent could be modified to provide resistance, not total arrest of movement, it would be great.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I change mine when it is hot, just have to be quick so as to not burn your fingers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts