XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
11" barrel

Just got my 7.62 back yesterday, with new and improved shorter barrel. It's now 11" with a PWS .308 break on it. Ran it yesterday about 80 rounds or so of Golden Tiger, Wolf, and some white box russian stuff. No problems. Running it on gas setting 4 for now. I think 3 will work fine. I must note that as much as I like the PWS break, on this short of barrel it's as if someone is blowing a fan on you every time you pull the trigger. It's not really gassy, but it's noticeable. BUT, wow, that PWS is soooo effective. The gun literally does not move from point of aim. It's no different than shooting 5.56. So if you have the longer barrel, it might be worth looking into the PWS break.

I also got my "special" AR15 nearly completed. It's a Stag lefty upper, with Adams Arms piston kit and Samson C rail. Scot Samson sold me the piston kit and modified the fail then shipped it directly to Stag and they put it together. I then had my guy cut it to 10.5. It's got a PWS with bi-lock on it for the G5. Everything works right... for now. Put several rounds down range with it. We did have short strokes but a 4/1000 change in the gas port on the barrel fixed that. It was a 16" barrel so we weren't surprised it needed some adjustment. Ran it with suppressor on low setting and it's perfect. On high setting without the suppressor it's perfect too. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Waiting on my mags from Cproducts and the 7.62 will be complete. I still need a few things to complete the AR like ambi mag release and ambi charging handle. Then it will be perfect for me.

I also weighed the platforms on a digital scale.
-XCR 7.62 no mag: 9 lbs
-AR with G5 no mag: 9 lbs
-AR alone: 7.7 lbs

PWS on the 7.62

Some lefty action.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Re: 11" barrel

That is one, no two, fine looking weapons. :2cents: The PWS makes it look wicked...... or NASTY like the old rock song says. >:D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Nice looking guns... man that is one unique AR you've got there.
Unfortunately all my set ups are "unique". One instructor called me the "freak of nature" cause I shoot rifle lefty and pistol right handed. So my gear set up takes a lot of planning to get right. It's never been easy, that's for sure. But this new AR set up, once completed, will be exactly what I need. If it works right, I'll order another.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts

Wow, I bet that really is trouble. I shoot everything left handed, so at least I'm consistent.

I have never had the desire to get left handed rifles though. My reasoning is that I don't want the ergos to be different when picking up another copy of the same rifle. Maybe thats a good reason; maybe it isn't. I find the AR and the XCR to be pretty lefty friendly as-is, assuming ambi selectors are installed. My second biggest desire would be for an ambi mag catch, but I have never used one of those. What I do is grab the mag with my right hand and pull down while simultaneously pushing the mag catch with my thumb. Its a little slower than a drop free mag change, but it ensures the mag comes out every time. Not all my mags drop free from all my guns, so in some ways I think my method is superior. Actually the only rifle I own from which Pmags drop free is the XCR.

That is one of the reasons I would like to take a look at the SCAR; it would be nice to have at least one rifle where *everything* is truly ambi. I think the SCAR is supposed to have ambi charging handle and mag catch as well.

Oh well, nice rifles regardless. I sure wouldn't mind trying a few rounds through that AR just for fun.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I do the same on my mag release. Actually I've been taught to grab them and pull them free every time so I don't notice any time difference. I've never trusted rifle mags to drop free. I run the bolt catch with my trigger finger and have always loved that. I've never had a problem using anything righty until I got this suppressor. I got a face full of gas from my XCR almost choked to death then vowed to create a gun I could run it on and not have to settle. I just got tired of the gas face.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts

Yes I hit the bolt catch on an AR with my trigger finger. In that aspect, I find the operation to be superior to what is available to a right hander on the right handed rifle.

You got a face full of gas from a suppressed XCR? That is kind of surprising. Where is the gas getting out? I briefly shot suppressed XCR and a few suppressed ARs, and never had any kind of gas in the face complaints. My AR carbines have Gasbuster charging handles in case I ever get a suppressor for them, which I think I will someday down the line.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts

sharp setups as usual. I didn't realize you shot rifle lefty...

I'll be interested to hear how the shorty x39 xcr performs in reliability and accuracy :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

sharp setups as usual. I didn't realize you shot rifle lefty...

I'll be interested to hear how the shorty x39 xcr performs in reliability and accuracy :)
I'll let you know how the shorty does, magik, and it seems that the few who have the 16" are having good luck. So far mine's been great and I've never had a feed/reliability issue. I think I'm most impressed by the magazine as it's functioned flawlessly and is easier to load than a 5.56 mag. The rounds click very positively into the mag. I plan to shoot it a lot in the coming weeks just to see how it will hold up.

·
Registered
47 Posts

What is the model # of the above muzzle break ?? anyone know? Did you need some sort of adapter to thread it on to your 7.62x39 barrel?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts

I must note that as much as I like the PWS break, on this short of barrel it's as if someone is blowing a fan on you every time you pull the trigger. It's not really gassy, but it's noticeable. BUT, wow, that PWS is soooo effective. The gun literally does not move from point of aim. It's no different than shooting 5.56. So if you have the longer barrel, it might be worth looking into the PWS break.
I can echo these comments from Shooting my 6.8 shorty. Every shot feels like a hot blower. I learned the first time not to wear short sleeves when shooting it as it almost felt like it was singing the hairs on my arms ( it really wasn't but it was hot).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

I have the PWS Comp on a regular 16" barrel in 5.56 and you can feel the difference from the pressure out of the gun. Its noticable. On a shorty I'm betting it would be that much worse...

But... I love that thing. It makes a 5.56 recoil even less. I can maintain a clear site picture and get back on target much quicker.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts

wow, beautiful guns.

·
Registered
190 Posts

"my gear set up takes a lot of planning to get right"

You must plan A LOT! Homeruns on both those rifles. Mind if I steel use some of your ideas?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

"my gear set up takes a lot of planning to get right"

You must plan A LOT! Homeruns on both those rifles. Mind if I steel use some of your ideas?
Be my guest. It's all about trial and error and learning from other peoples mistakes and success.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts

Rusted Ace, When I cut my 6.8 down I didn't need to open the port. It still ejects with authority on setting 2. My 5.56 needed to be opened up just a bit (a frogs hair width) as I don't like having to run it on 4 all the time. i am sure that the x39 will be similiar to the 6.8.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts