XCR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hastily bought a lot of 110 grain cause the deal was too good and it was already losing stock fast and forgot to confirm this.
110 grain 300blk in a 7.5” barrel with a 1/7 twist should be fairly accurate if not optimal right?

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no i meant barrel length effects barrel twist.
a 1/7 twist in a 16" barrel will have more full rotations then a 8" of the same twist rate for example.
so you would see things like the ak74 with a 1:8 twist but the aks74u would later have a 1:6 twist because it needed a tighter twist rate to be more comparable in rotations with the longer barrel 74 and thus stabilize ammunition like 7n6 better.

· Registered
617 Posts
Eh, I’m no ballistic expert, but twist rate is twist rate, wether it’s in a long or short barrel.

My AKS74u is a 1:6.2 just like all the rest. I’m not familiar with any 1:8. Granted I have a Bluejack v4 barrel and not the original Russian one for 922r compliance BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
617 Posts
Is that evidence based?

Pistols have very short barrels but if you know your hold over can shoot out past 100 yards.

For example a Glock 19 has a 4” barrel and comes with a 1:10 twist rate. I’ve never heard anyone complain about a Glock barrel.

· Registered
23,255 Posts
Is that evidence based?

Pistols have very short barrels but if you know your hold over can shoot out past 100 yards.

For example a Glock 19 has a 4” barrel and comes with a 1:10 twist rate. I’ve never heard anyone complain about a Glock barrel.

The "evidence" I have is my 7.62x39 Mini Dracos both keyhole about 1 in 20 to 1 in 25 rounds b/c the twist rate is a 1 in ~9.5" and doesn't stabilize 123 gr. ammo.

I would wager that higher velocities of rifle cartridges require more twist to maintain a steady flight path without excessive yaw.

· Super Moderator
327 Posts
Is that evidence based?

Velocity and bullet weight are factors.

Ex. With 300blk subs, to get the most out of your barrel you need a much more aggressive twist rate than supers, because the subs are almost 2x the weight. 1:7ish is a compromise to offer good performance at both ends of the weight spectrum

· Registered
617 Posts
Velocity and bullet weight are factors.

Ex. With 300blk subs, to get the most out of your barrel you need a much more aggressive twist rate than supers, because the subs are almost 2x the weight. 1:7ish is a compromise to offer good performance at both ends of the weight spectrum
Obviously, but I’ve never heard that you want 1 full revolution out of the barrel. And like I said, pistol barrels are significantly shorter than their twist rates.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts