XCR Forum banner

Witch do you prefer an auto or pump

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
One advantage I found with going from an 870 to a 590 was that the 590 has by far the most resistance at the start of the stroke, so once that initial resistance is overcome, you can't help but slam the forearm to the rear. I've tried under range conditions to short stroke it, and wasn't able to do so.

I'm not a big shotgun guy in general, but have seen too many autos choke to be comfortable with them at this point.

Not all pumps are super reliable either; my old 870 express would jam up solid. The bar in the receiver that retains shells in the magazine would get stuck in the outward position (impossible to release a shell from the magazine), and the front magazine cap would have to be removed to get all the shells out before monkeying with the shell retainer to get it unstuck. Not good. I take it this is the exception. I'd still trust a proven reliable pump over a proven reliable auto just based on what I've seen. I know little about auto shotguns in general though.

I like autos and pump. I have a Remington 1100 tactical... runs and has run perfectly. Shoots the 8 shot for 3 gun just fine no hiccups. I also have Remington 1100 competition master that's been worked for competition. But what sits under the bed... is a Mossberg 590. I like the Benelli but I just can't bring myself to pay for it. SPAS, my favorite gun of all time since I was 13 years old. I almost bought one a few months ago but backed out of it.

Saiga 12! 8)

Here's mine with the 20 round Wraithmaker drum:

Here's the Moss that sits by the bed:

Here's a couple of Tromix builds; the Micro and the 8 inch. :eek:

Here's the one I want:

The pic of that last one the one you want is the one I have (black furniture stainless finish ), by the way where did you find the drum ? A freind had one at a mg shoot and i tried it out. I was picking bowling pins off at 75 feet with slugs went home and called my class 3 dealer, who had just got 3 of them in that day and scored ! i just had to wait 21 days for the paper to clear it my favorite shotty at present

Sweep, I got the drum from Wraithmaker.com. There's also another drum coming soon from MD Arms.

The Wraithmaker is made from Aluminum. The MD-20 has a polymer shell. Both hold 20 rounds. The WM is about $319 and the MD-20 is coming out for first run at $165.

I've put my deposit down on the MD-20 drum and plans are to ship around Christmas or the first of the year.

I didn't have to get "papers" or apply here. The drums are legal for anyone to purchase as long as they are legal in your state.

Find out more about the Saiga drums on the Saiga forum. 8)

That Saiga looked nice. What is the going rate for one in 12 or 20 gauge ? Are the mags still that expensive ?

By the way I would have to say a pump. There is just something about the sound of bumping it that instills fear in people.

That Saiga looked nice. What is the going rate for one in 12 or 20 gauge ? Are the mags still that expensive ?

By the way I would have to say a pump. There is just something about the sound of bumping it that instills fear in people.
The Saiga 12's are going for around $500-$600 stock now, when you can find one. The drum mags are high, but you can still use the stock 5 round mags, or the AGP 10-round mags. They cost around $45 each.

The scariest thing for the BG about my pump is, he will never hear it being racked. I keep the first round of 00 Buck jacked in and ready. >:D

Badman, That is one wicked AK Type shotgun, with mag or drum. If they made that with a Galil (read Krebs) style safety I would probable buy it. In the meantime my Winchester 97 or Remington 100 will have to do. ;D ;D ;D

I have a Rem 1187 Police (auto) and Rem 870 Police and a Rem 870 Express (both pimps). The express is my home-defense, car, camping wepon. Others usually stay in the safe.

Check out Firequest.com, they have some "interesting" 12ga ammo. Their 'flame thrower' round makes a biggg flash & boom, but it doesn't go out as far as they claim. Maybe 20-30 ft

I voted for Pump because I have seen what passes for 'maintenance' among some of my friends.

I have two Winchester 1300's. Smooth and fast. The only downside to the 1300 is that you might need to work on the extractor because it does not like the rims on some rounds.

If you have a 500/590 or an 870, they are good too!

As for semi-auto shotty's

Hunting: Benelli's
Mil: Saiga 12

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.