Witch do you prefer an auto or pump

12 GAUGE

7K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  RedFalconBill 
#1 ·
I prefer the auto. (1) Benelli M1 (2)Beretta 1200P (3) Remington 870 pump

#3 ·
Depends on what you want it for.

Tactical/Service Use : Pump
Pump allows a wider range of shells to be used where autos can be touchy, especially the dirtier they are. With a pmup you just need to crank it.

The SPAS12 was the best of both worlds, auto with a backup option of pumping in the event of a jam or feed failure.

Hunting/clays
Whatever you want as your life and the lives of those arround you don't depend on reliability.

#10 ·
There was an atricle in Guns and Ammo or some such magazine where Shotguns in the sandbox were discussed and the Pump came out favourite.

Perhaps for SWAT in the US Semi-auto is ok, but I won't trust my life to a risk.

For example, start with three breaching charges and five 00 buck. First three get you in the door and the remaining five are for assailants. Each has a different recoil profile. I won't risk that with a semi. Also in a military zone you can't always be sure of the ammo you are going to have on hand. Pumps don't care.

#13 ·
I was just watchng a 3 gun video on Patriot Ordinance's website. The guy is shooting a semi-auto, looks like a Benilli and his second round failed to feed. Nuff said!

#15 ·
I've had the Benelli & the Beretta for about 20 years. I can change the barrel out on the Benelli to hunt birds with. As with all auto's you need to find what shell's that will feed & witch won't. The Benelli does not like lite bird loads other than that it's 100% so far. The Beretta will eat anything. NOTE: I'm a gun clean freak & they get cleaned after each shoot.

#16 ·
Although I think the Benelli is much sexyier (or most semi-autos for that reason) I had to vote for pump. In my experience (for what that is worth) they are more reliable. I consulted someone smarter than me that has used pumps in combat and they reported no memorable failures. My brothers infantry unit used them all the time, mostly for taking out door hinges. He said they were great and the bad guys feared them. I have heard that the new Benelli that the Marines got (M1014) has been reliable for them, at least from the little I have heard from end users.

I don't have a "home defense" shotgun but I will admit I want something sexy when I get one (why else would I get an XCR if I didn't like sexy) so I will probably end up with something in the Benelli line. I will always have my 870 in the safe, it is a good slug gun for dear.

#19 ·
:tiphat:

As far as reliability goes, mine has been 100% in all respects since I've had it... I haven't ran many light loads through it, because it's role is that of a defensive shotgun-but for what it's worth those light loads ran just fine. More importantly, reduced recoil tactical stuff has ran perfectly-I guess the truly light stuff would just be a positive for less harsh training and cheaper practice.

I think the distinction between gas guns like the benelli m4 or rem 11-87/1100 and recoil op guns like my m2 are important too. I think the gas guns are more finicky/complicated and need more attention on upkeep than the recoil guns do.

Anyway, in my view, I'm more worried about short stroking a pump in the moment I need it most than a semi failing in some way.

#21 ·
One advantage I found with going from an 870 to a 590 was that the 590 has by far the most resistance at the start of the stroke, so once that initial resistance is overcome, you can't help but slam the forearm to the rear. I've tried under range conditions to short stroke it, and wasn't able to do so.

I'm not a big shotgun guy in general, but have seen too many autos choke to be comfortable with them at this point.

Not all pumps are super reliable either; my old 870 express would jam up solid. The bar in the receiver that retains shells in the magazine would get stuck in the outward position (impossible to release a shell from the magazine), and the front magazine cap would have to be removed to get all the shells out before monkeying with the shell retainer to get it unstuck. Not good. I take it this is the exception. I'd still trust a proven reliable pump over a proven reliable auto just based on what I've seen. I know little about auto shotguns in general though.

#24 ·
I like autos and pump. I have a Remington 1100 tactical... runs and has run perfectly. Shoots the 8 shot for 3 gun just fine no hiccups. I also have Remington 1100 competition master that's been worked for competition. But what sits under the bed... is a Mossberg 590. I like the Benelli but I just can't bring myself to pay for it. SPAS, my favorite gun of all time since I was 13 years old. I almost bought one a few months ago but backed out of it.

#27 ·
The pic of that last one the one you want is the one I have (black furniture stainless finish ), by the way where did you find the drum ? A freind had one at a mg shoot and i tried it out. I was picking bowling pins off at 75 feet with slugs went home and called my class 3 dealer, who had just got 3 of them in that day and scored ! i just had to wait 21 days for the paper to clear it my favorite shotty at present

#28 ·
Sweep, I got the drum from Wraithmaker.com. There's also another drum coming soon from MD Arms.

The Wraithmaker is made from Aluminum. The MD-20 has a polymer shell. Both hold 20 rounds. The WM is about $319 and the MD-20 is coming out for first run at $165.

I've put my deposit down on the MD-20 drum and plans are to ship around Christmas or the first of the year.

I didn't have to get "papers" or apply here. The drums are legal for anyone to purchase as long as they are legal in your state.

Find out more about the Saiga drums on the Saiga forum. 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.