XCR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st question...Why no 20" or longer heavy barrels? Is the 18.5" "enough"? Or is it just all we will get.

Also,
Why the shallow angle of opening..why not let the upper pivot over further?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've only heard this concern one other time in an early magazine review. It frankly has never bothered me all that much. It certainly would be possible to make it open wider.

Why it is this way is a good question

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
1st question...Why no 20" or longer heavy barrels? Is the 18.5" "enough"? Or is it just all we will get.

Also,
You can probably call and talk to Terra about the possibility of getting a longer barrel. It will probably take a while as they probably don't have blanks long enough. I am sure it is possible, it just may take some time.

I never even thought about your second question, it never bothered me.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Teach a bunch of new troops how to maintain an M16 and see how many walk away with pinched hands and fingers because they didn't hold on to the upper (read: pay attention) when they pressed the takedown pin! ;) Some lessons need learned the hard way I 'spose!
There may have been some engineering reason, I know they cautioned us it could loosen the fit and put stress on and possibly break the lower with the M16 series, but if nothing else I think it's a nice touch if for no other reason than that.

A 20" barrel would be neat but only if we could get an extended length upper, that's my :2cents:.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
As far as the pivoting, I've always separated upper and lower for cleaning anyway, so, never seen it as an inconvienence. I guess it could be if you don't want to separate them for some reason.

As far as barrel options, I agree some additional choices would be nice. If they offered an 18.5" SS Wylde chambered barrel, for instance, I would probably buy it. There was some minor hoopla a while back about RA moving their barrel production in house, where as they were subcontracting it before. If that is the case, I would hope it would lead to more barrel options being available down the line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts