XCR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a few questions for Alex.IF there is going to be a 22 conversion kit,will it be like some of the other kits on the market in that it uses the 5.56/.223 barrel or will the barrel be specific to the rimfire cartridge? I know Ciener and some other companies,from my understanding,use a chamber insert the has a short smoothbore area right before the bullet enters the rifling.This chamber insert, along with a proprietary bolt carrier /recoil spring assembly,and magazine makes up the kit.
The problem with the kits that use the 5.56/.223 barrel is threefold.First the bore diameter is larger on the centerfire.Second,the bullet has to bounce around the smoothbore chamber insert before engaging the rifling,and three,the twist rates for the rimfire are much different than for the centerfire.The point being here is that none of these things are conducive to accuracy.
Now I know most of you who want this kit won't be using it for match or benchrest purposes.Most of you would use it for the same thing I would,as a supplement to your centerfire training at reduced cost.At the same time however,You want to be able to hit what your shooting at,or your endeavors are pointless,thus the reason for my asking this.
Oh and while I'm at it,what type of magazines will it use.It would be nice having a headstart pending the wake of a potential Obamaban.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want a dedicated .22 barrel. I know this moves the cost up a little more but I think you get a better product when everything is made to work together instead of adapting to use the 5.56 barrel
My point exactly.I don't have much experience with magazines for these conversions,and hope that anyone that does will share their experience so we all can be more informed.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 22l.r. is .221,the 5.45x39 is .221 and the 5.56x45/.223 Remington is .224.So to answer your question,I'm pretty sure it is.Nice idea,by the way.I'm kinda surprised I didn't think of it myself.It would be nice to be squirrel head accurate at 50 yards,I can see myself now trapsing through the woods with it.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would think that being the 5.45x39 uses heavier bullets,it would have a relatively fast twist rate of say the 1:7 variety.I'm not sure if that's correct,but it makes the most sense to me.I don't think that would work well for the little rimfire.I think your close on the twist rate for a 22l.r.,I believe they are 1:14,but again I'm not sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.