XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is looking for a .22 Long rifle and is looking for something. We held a Sig Mosquito today and she really liked that, but its getting some less than stellar reviews from what she was reading.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or can you recommend a good pistol thats .22 and good for target / plinking **NOT a walther** she really didn't like it and we actually shot one of those.

Ironically enough I have a walther that I carry for CWP... go figure :)

Also any opinions on a Sig P220 or Glock with a conversion kit? I kind of hate to have to buy a gun then a conversion kit......... But then again I do own an XCR :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Kind of a pain to take apart, but it's hard to beat the Rugers for a nice .22 target pistol.
I agree with Underground. The Ruger Mark III 22 cal pistols are great little guns. They are accurate, reliable, and cheap.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I'll second the Rugers.I have a stainless 22/45 mkII.I don't care for the magazine safety on the mkIII,but I'm sure it can be deactivated.I recommend the stainless because as a training pistol it will probably see much use and it's just more durable without the attention needed to maintain a blued finish.I personally think the Mosquito's are overpriced,but if your using a Sig as a CWP,or duty weapon I could see the benefit of training with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I really liked the Sig Mosquito, and went out and bought one without doing my homework. I had a lot of trouble with it. I couldn't get through a magazine without a failure to extract, or a failure to fire. I was going to get rid of it but I did a little looking on the internet. Somewhere I read that they test them with CCI Minimags, and that this ammo would work fine. I bought some 36 grain and 40 grain solid Minimags, and with this ammo, It shoots great. I like the way it handles and shoots(with minimags), and I guess I'll keep it. But i am surely disappointed with Sig and the fact that it is sooooo picky. I would have to recommend the Ruger as well. Every one that I have owned or shot, was accurate and reliable with any ammo I tried. They are a little heavy for a .22, but as a target practice/plinking pistol, they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
don't get the mosquito.

a ruger mkII or mkIII 22/45 and browning buckmark are all good choices.

I have a 22/45 that I'm going to dress up with a red dot, better trigger and tacsol upper evetually. I'm going to get an advantage arms 22 slide for my g19 as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a Ruger MK II Government Model with the 6 7/8" bull barrel and would recommend the Ruger as others have. Have her handle the different models, grips and barrel configurations to see what she likes best. They are very accurate, have nice triggers and you can shoot them all day for peanuts.

I do agree they can be a pain to take apart for a cleaning compared to most pistols. You get used to it though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I really liked the Sig Mosquito, and went out and bought one without doing my homework. I had a lot of trouble with it. I couldn't get through a magazine without a failure to extract, or a failure to fire. I was going to get rid of it but I did a little looking on the internet. Somewhere I read that they test them with CCI Minimags, and that this ammo would work fine. I bought some 36 grain and 40 grain solid Minimags, and with this ammo, It shoots great. I like the way it handles and shoots(with minimags), and I guess I'll keep it. But i am surely disappointed with Sig and the fact that it is sooooo picky. I would have to recommend the Ruger as well. Every one that I have owned or shot, was accurate and reliable with any ammo I tried. They are a little heavy for a .22, but as a target practice/plinking pistol, they are hard to beat.
My brother's Walther P22 is very sensitive to the type of ammo you shoot in it as well. As you mention, my Ruger will eat anything.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Another vote for the Ruger 22/45. I have put way to many rounds through mine without cleaning it, most of it suppressed (dirtier). It is a great shooting gun and feels real well in mine and my wifes hands.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have not used any other 22 pistol then the Smith & Wesson Model 22A and it shoot good and is not very picky about ammo, it shoots Federal Bulk Box without a problem. There is just now beginning to be problems with it FTE but it has not been cleaned in 2200 rounds. It is fairly cheap my local shop has it for 234.00.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I'll give a nod to the Smith and Wesson 22a as well.I've never owned one,but have shot a friends numerous times and he swears by it.I found it to be accurate,reliable,and ergonomics are descent as well.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'll give a nod to the Smith and Wesson 22a as well.I've never owned one,but have shot a friends numerous times and he swears by it.I found it to be accurate,reliable,and ergonomics are descent as well.
I dont think the ergos on it is the greatest since the mag release is on the front of the pistol grip. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
I'm not sure about current offerings, but when I was growing up we had a .22 revolver that we shot the crap out of. It was always accurate and reliable, as well as easy to load. I believe it was 1940's or 1950's vintage, I don't recall the exact make now.

The grip was small enough that even we kids could hold onto it without any trouble. It's one of those guns that will still be shooting 100 years from now, assuming it doesn't get taken and ground up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Well, since people are talking about good 22s.......

My choice in revolver is one that I won't get rid of EVER. It's a pre-WWII S&W K22 Outdoorsmans Masterpiece. My buddy says it's the "most boring revolver ever made" - you aim it and it it just HITS.

For an automatic, I prefer the High Standards. The only way you'd talk me into anything other than a High Standard (and we're talking vintage here, not the current offerings by Mitchell - I don't know if those are good or not so I can't comment on them) is if you waved a Colt Match Target Woodsman under my nose.

Just make sure the pistol you get is in good condition! I bought a High Standard once that some (expletives deleted) person had shoved the wrong striker in. Jammed it in nice and tight too.

ETA: I very well might purchase a Glock 22LR conversion kit though. It'd be smart to let my kiddo practice with cheap 22LR. That remains to be seen though!

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I'm with Bravo on the old High Standards. Around here, they're $400-$500.

My wife's favorite .22 is a little Beretta 70s. They're great little guns, shoot any kind of ammo. Kind of hard to find, but they are around.

tk

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I dont think the ergos on it is the greatest since the mag release is on the front of the pistol grip.
Yea that is a little different to get used to,but after handling it for awhile,it's not too bad.The grip has a nice shape was more what I remembered.The integral scope rail is handy to if your into red dots on your handguns.
My choice in revolver is one that I won't get rid of EVER. It's a pre-WWII S&W K22 Outdoorsmans Masterpiece. My buddy says it's the "most boring revolver ever made" - you aim it and it it just HITS.
I've never talked about this much here,but I'm not a big revolver guy,so for me to say this I really mean it.Those old Smiths were truly,truly works of art.Beautiful bluing,fit and finish were amazing,the checkering,that's when guns were not only a job but a labor of love and craftsmanship.They fact that would drive nails was just an added bonus.
Don't mistake what I mean,guns made today use very close tolerances,extremely good materials and are just as accurate,maybe more,but they also benefit from CNC machines and computers to help with quality control.They just will never match the level of attention to detail,it simply cannot be there for a production line price.Some people view firearms as just tools,and that fine because that's what they are,however some of us view them as much more than that.
The old High Standards as well were excellent examples of the gunmakers art during their time period,and If I'm not mistaken were the only American made pistols that qualified for the Olympic accuracy standards at that time,but I could be of on that.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I love "vintage" guns -- those made before, 1950 or so. I've got two old .22 rifles -- one a Belgian-made Browning .22 auto and the other an 1897 Marlin -- that are just beautiful examples of the gunmaker's art. The fit & finish are superb. And they're still quite accurate after 75 + years of shooting.

tk

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We shot both the rugers and the brownings. Of those we liked the buckmark the best. The MKIII ruger had a bit of a large barrel on it and I think that made it a little bit awkward.

Personally I'd like a .22 that would be closer to the ergos of a regular pistol rather than the MKIII / Buckmark which almost tend to feel like a target practice, so I could use it to practice CCW as well.

BUT... this isn't for me, its for her. So ultimately good advice and much appreciated. I have not seen one of the S & W 's so I'll see if I can check that out.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts