XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what kind of accuracy y'all are getting from your 300 blackouts. I've got a pistol with 8.5" barrel, I average about 5 moa with it, occasionally I can squeeze a 2 incher or so out of it, but that's about as good as I can get.
I was wondering if the less than stellar accuracy is due to the nature of the caliber, that it's an early blackout conversion, that the barrels so short, etc. Anyhow I've been kicking around ideas for what my next xcr configuration is going to be, and was wondering what the accuracy from current production blackout barrels is like.
From what I've read, I understand the blackout has basically a complete powder burn with a 10.5 inch barrel, with most loads. Do y'all notice any significant accuracy increases with barrel length increases? Like in the 14.5-16" range?(

·
Registered
22,658 Posts
Back in the day, I had a XCR-L mini in 5.56 with a 9.5" bbl (IIRC)....it shot that sort of huge group. Found the bbl had chattering in the grooves when it was cut. Just a defective bbl. RA replaced it.

If 5 MOA is all I get out of my new 9.5" 300 BLK, I'm going to start looking for problems with the bbl itself.

·
Registered
22,658 Posts
Hmm I've never looked that close at the barrel, I assume the chatter marks where visible to the naked caveman eye? And you haven't tried out your new barrel yet?
Yes, you could make out the issue with a strong flashlight in the other end when you removed the bbl.

Yeah, I tried out the bbl. Replacing it fixed the problem.

Reactions: Chowwow

·
Registered
22,658 Posts
I've had some 300 Ammo that was 5" at 25yds in multiple guns. That's by far the worst I've seen. I've had other combinations that shot much better.
What brand ammo if you don't mind sharing, Nate?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
PNW 147gr "range" Ammo.

I contacted the company and dealt with one of their "tech" guys and he was cool with sending in the rest of what I had(it was a couple thousand rds. It was the first stuff that came avaliable after Obama). The details of the actual swap pissed me off a little. At one point the person I was dealing with(not the tech guy) said "we don't guarantee accuracy." I traded it out for some of their 125 and 220gr that shot much better

·
Registered
22,658 Posts
PNW 147gr "range" Ammo.

I contacted the company and dealt with one of their "tech" guys and he was cool with sending in the rest of what I had(it was a couple thousand rds. It was the first stuff that came avaliable after Obama). The details of the actual swap pissed me off a little. At one point the person I was dealing with(not the tech guy) said "we don't guarantee accuracy." I traded it out for some of their 125 and 220gr that shot much better
Yeah, I'm guessing the 147 is the same as the mil surp bullets they use in .308 loaded ammo and isn't known for being any better than 3 MOA. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nate, the best shooting ammo I've found so far are grindhard ammos expanding subs, it shoots under 2" groups, only problem is you can hear the cash register go "ka-ching" with every shot, $2 a round..

Sean what kind of accuracy are you getting from the new barrel? I haven't pulled my barrel yet to check but I'm guessing the rifling is okay since some ammo seems to shoot fine.

Also as far as ammo I've tried out in my gun,
Fiocchi 147s are what I was shooting such poor groups with, it also doesn't like the sig copper solid 120-somethings. Hornaday 110 & 120 poly tips shoot pretty well, as well as Remington umc SMK, supersonics.

I meant to post this earlier but never actually hit the post button.

I wonder if the 147 stuff just sucks in general?

·
Registered
22,658 Posts
Nate, the best shooting ammo I've found so far are grindhard ammos expanding subs, it shoots under 2" groups, only problem is you can hear the cash register go "ka-ching" with every shot, $2 a round..

Sean what kind of accuracy are you getting from the new barrel? I haven't pulled my barrel yet to check but I'm guessing the rifling is okay since some ammo seems to shoot fine.

Also as far as ammo I've tried out in my gun,
Fiocchi 147s are what I was shooting such poor groups with, it also doesn't like the sig copper solid 120-somethings. Hornaday 110 & 120 poly tips shoot pretty well, as well as Remington umc SMK, supersonics.

I meant to post this earlier but never actually hit the post button.

I wonder if the 147 stuff just sucks in general?
In the 300 BLK? I haven't shot it yet.

So the 5" groups were only with one brand of ammo? The way I read the first post, I thought you were saying 5" was the best grouping you were getting from any ammo. My mistake....read right over the 2" groups.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No about 5" is average, I've had some of those 147s shoot like 8-9" groupstoo. With the Remington, I'm shooting more like 3-4 moa, and the Hornaday is a little better but not much. I'm still looking for what ammo it likes. I was wondering if anybody might have ammo suggestions, are any of yall getting MOA or better? And what rounds are you using? For the time being I'm only looking at factory loads.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I've been shooting Ozark Ordnance(they turned into somebody else) 147 as my primary range ammo for a long time. There was a point where I was getting it for just under $.40/rd..... anyway.... That stuff shot WAY better than the PNW. I haven't tried it for groups in a long time but it's been consistent across several guns/ranges. I've rarely shot 300blk past 50yds.

·
Registered
22,658 Posts
I bought 1K of Wolf 145 gr. in 300 BLK primarily to make sure the conversion will run the shittiest ammo. Figure if the ban ever lifts, it might get back down to being the cheapest plinking 300 BLK so I wanted to see what the accuracy is like as well as reliability. After reading this thread, I'm not expecting much. Starting to think this foray into 300 was misguided on my part.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah it is, I kick myself every time I think about when I used to bitch that those umc rounds where $13 a box at Walmart... had I known then... I would have bought every box I could have carried.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah it is, I kick myself every time I think about when I used to bitch that those umc rounds where $13 a box at Walmart... had I known then... I would have bought every box I could have carried.
When Wallyworld stopped with the “assault calibers”, those 300 Remington UMC boxes got down to $5.99…subs and supers. I got my hands on a few of each, but many bought them and didn’t even know what they were. They just knew it was cheap and that they could resell to someone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I got lucky and found 3 of the 420rd green tip 556 for like $65 each, and a guy I know through work got a sig 556xi in 762x39 for $400ish. Wish I had got more.. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts