XCR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been considering having Tactical Superiority OEM some AR upper/lower receivers for us. They're just plain Jane receivers, but I wanted to do a build on a sample just to check them out.

So I finally put one together with a 16" 300Blk stainless barrel, and an inexpensive light weight m-lok foreend. I went with some Daniel Defense furniture. I couldn't resist the opportunity to test our demo OSS BPR2/SRM6 OTB 7.62 Elite suppressor while at it!

The lower gave me some fits with the bolt catch pin. The hole seems to be a bit oversized and not drilled all the way through. I had to spread the roll pin out to get enough friction to keep it in. I'll have to get creative to get it back out without a through hole, but I'll cross that bridge later. I'll need to speak with my rep about this before we go any further with these guys.

Another minor issue, but with the upper. The notch for the charging handle to slip through when installing is a little tight. It takes some effort to get it in/out. Not a huge issue, but not what I'm used to in the AR world.

I only had about 20 minutes of light after closing the shop yesterday, so I didn't have time to do any serious testing, but did get a few rounds down range. I was using some Armscor 208gr AMAX rounds.

While the OSS suppressor is built for extreme duty, I didn't have the time to punish it. It is certainly the high-end of the suppressor market at roughly 24 C notes, but the rifle functioned flawlessly. OSS claims a -32db suppression level. I didn't measure it, but the buffer spring/bolt closure and the round hitting the paper were the most noticeable sounds while shooting. Hopefully OSS can bring the price down a bit on these cans over time, but they are certainly some complicated items to machine/build.

I'll have to do a vid for the punisher phase. For now, I'm fairly happy. The suppressor worked out to be about six times the cost of building the rifle!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Yeah, I got to go through the OSS stuff in Vegas when they did their VIP thing.
I'm VERY impressed.
Now if they'd only build a QD mount that didn't look like a rock drill.......

Reactions: Mechanic

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
My buddy was down in Florida at SOCOM's suppressed rifle trials helping out a friend. The company he was helping is Suppressed Weapons Systems in Texas. I'm pretty stoked about this technology. They take a bull barrel, mill it down with ribs left at 12, 3, 6, and 9. They then machine channels into those ribs that allow gas to escape from 1/2 way down the barrel to just in front of the action. They then use a EDM to cut baffles into the barrel material towards the muzzle. They then make a titanium shroud that goes over the entire length of the barrel returning it to it's original diameter. So the whole barrel becomes a silencer. Hearing safe, lighter, up to 40% reduction in recoil and no added length. They had an Accuracy International set up with scope and bipod in .338 Lapua weigh in at 12 pounds. AI was there and there rifle weighed 18 pounds.. My buddy said it recoiled like a .308.

They also make an upper for AR's. Worth a look!
Monolithic Integral Suppressed Barrels, Integral Suppressors | Suppressed Weapon Systems

·
Registered
155 Posts
Resurrecting because I'm trying to figure out if using the OSS Helix would be optimal for the XCR chambered in .300 blk.

We know the XCR has gas issues that can be difficult to resolve when running suppressed, and the OSS Helix and other flow-through suppressors work great at side stepping this issue at the cost of higher dB levels vs other traditional cans. I already have an OSS Helix waiting in ATF-mandated jail for this reason. I'm wondering if it was worth it to run subsonic .300 blk on the XCR with this same suppressor, or if I would be better off mounting a .45 cal pistol suppressor such as the SilencerCo Octane 45K? Cans are expensive and take a long time to clear, so I've got one for my rifles and one for my pistol/PCCs. It's just that installing the cans back and fourth can be annoying; the OSS can quick detach but I would have to buy another one of their muzzle devices to make that attachment, while I can get a 5/8x24 threat mount for the Octane 45 but then I would need a thread protector or a muzzle device that I have to carefully install when I take off the suppressor. I'm also wondering if subsonic .300 blk produces a significant amount of back blast on the XCR, or if it needs that gas that gets vented in the OSS?

·
Registered
22,532 Posts
Resurrecting because I'm trying to figure out if using the OSS Helix would be optimal for the XCR chambered in .300 blk.

We know the XCR has gas issues that can be difficult to resolve when running suppressed, and the OSS Helix and other flow-through suppressors work great at side stepping this issue at the cost of higher dB levels vs other traditional cans. I already have an OSS Helix waiting in ATF-mandated jail for this reason. I'm wondering if it was worth it to run subsonic .300 blk on the XCR with this same suppressor, or if I would be better off mounting a .45 cal pistol suppressor such as the SilencerCo Octane 45K? Cans are expensive and take a long time to clear, so I've got one for my rifles and one for my pistol/PCCs. It's just that installing the cans back and fourth can be annoying; the OSS can quick detach but I would have to buy another one of their muzzle devices to make that attachment, while I can get a 5/8x24 threat mount for the Octane 45 but then I would need a thread protector or a muzzle device that I have to carefully install when I take off the suppressor. I'm also wondering if subsonic .300 blk produces a significant amount of back blast on the XCR, or if it needs that gas that gets vented in the OSS?
Huh? What gas issues when suppressed? It's got an adjustable gas system....just adjust it.

Why would you think a .45 cal pistol can would be better than a .30 cal rifle can?

Subs only advantage is noise reduction. If you're using a 230 gr. 300 BLK round....it's ballistically very much like an unsupressed .45 round out of a similar length bbl.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Huh? What gas issues when suppressed? It's got an adjustable gas system....just adjust it.
I know, but from what I've read in passing and from MAC's experiences with the rifle, there CAN be issues related to gas cycling depending on fitment and ammo used and I'd just rather not mess with the dial if I can help it. I'm glad to have the feature to adjust the gas but I figure it's a maintenance and habits issue and I just want to keep that stable.

Why would you think a .45 cal pistol can would be better than a .30 cal rifle can?
I don't. It's just what I (will) have on hand and I'm debating on which is better in this case. I'm looking to get another suppressor for my pistol and if it can do double duty with a .300 blk rile, so much the better. I mean I could get one dedicated to the Blackout rifle but then we're still debating on whether a traditional monocore or flow-though suppressor is best. There are pluses and minuses in how they will mount with the rifle but there's also the question if a flow-through would help or hinder the gas system in a Blackout XCR. There's some information I've seen for ARs in .300 blk but we don't have/get to mess with things like buffer tube weight and other features specific to the AR-15.

Subs only advantage is noise reduction. If you're using a 230 gr. 300 BLK round....it's ballistically very much like an unsupressed .45 round out of a similar length bbl.
Right, which is the niche I'm interested in, otherwise I wouldn't care so much about what can to use. I have a growing arsenal and I'd like for each of them to excel in a given niche or role; a Hollywood-quiet rifle sounds intriguing. It's a very interesting tidbit you dug out for me, but I'm not looking to get a Kriss Vector or other .45 PCC anytime soon to be honest. I was hoping the current generation of XCR users who had experience with the caliber to give their take on my proposed set up. I take it you're not a fan?

·
Registered
22,532 Posts
I know, but from what I've read in passing and from MAC's experiences with the rifle, there CAN be issues related to gas cycling depending on fitment and ammo used and I'd just rather not mess with the dial if I can help it. I'm glad to have the feature to adjust the gas but I figure it's a maintenance and habits issue and I just want to keep that stable.

I don't. It's just what I (will) have on hand and I'm debating on which is better in this case. I'm looking to get another suppressor for my pistol and if it can do double duty with a .300 blk rile, so much the better. I mean I could get one dedicated to the Blackout rifle but then we're still debating on whether a traditional monocore or flow-though suppressor is best. There are pluses and minuses in how they will mount with the rifle but there's also the question if a flow-through would help or hinder the gas system in a Blackout XCR. There's some information I've seen for ARs in .300 blk but we don't have/get to mess with things like buffer tube weight and other features specific to the AR-15.

Right, which is the niche I'm interested in, otherwise I wouldn't care so much about what can to use. I have a growing arsenal and I'd like for each of them to excel in a given niche or role; a Hollywood-quiet rifle sounds intriguing. It's a very interesting tidbit you dug out for me, but I'm not looking to get a Kriss Vector or other .45 PCC anytime soon to be honest. I was hoping the current generation of XCR users who had experience with the caliber to give their take on my proposed set up. I take it you're not a fan?
That's from 2014...might want to view MAC's newer videos of the XCR. He's a big fan now. QC has not been great at RA....and he likely got a finicky sample. He joined here years ago but didn't really spend the time to diagnose what was wrong with the rifle. Once you get one running....they pretty much dont' stop...unless you run sealed cans...Then (apparently, from what people here have said)...they are like ARs with sealed cans and that around the 300 round mark, they start to get really fouled and need to be cleaned to be reliable...including the mags.

I dont' see how adjusting the gas for the given ammo or situation (in this case, a sealed can...since you won't need to adjust gas on a flow through) is a big deal, but to each their own.

A .30 cal rifle can, regardless of sealed or flow thru should be quieter than a can big enough for .45. If you only have the one .45 cal can...nothing wrong with using it on the .300 BLK. It should still work...just not as well.

Mounts are a whole separate issue with some QD's being garbage or seizing up and adding overall length to the gun you may not want on an SBR in the first place when not running the can. Direct threads suck b/c you need tools and time.

I wasn't discussing PCCs like the Kriss in .45....I was just saying if you took an 8" bbl XCR in .300 BLK with 230 grain subs and compared it ballistically to a .45 caliber "pistol" with 230 grain ammo....it would be almost the same in terms of energy, drop, etc. The saying goes, "you use a pistol to fight your way to a rifle"....if that rifle is putting out pistol ballistics (which are notoriously poor man stoppers) I fail to see the draw unless noise is the most important concern.

Not a fan of what? PCCs? The XCR? .300 BLK? In that order: Not really; PCCs are cool range toys but aren't better than SBRs at close range. Yes; the XCR is my favorite platform. And Yes...though the price per round is prohibitive unless you roll your own (or scored a ton of cheap Wolf at some point). .300 BLK is a great round for reliable feeding from STANAG mags which gives very similar to 7.62x39 ballistics out of what can be a very small AR/XCR package. That's the big advantage to 300 BLK....but another one is running subs. The downside currently is cost...but if cheap Wolf steel case drops the price down to even 25-30 cents a round, it may well be worth picking up for the reliable feeding from STANAG mags. For now though, I have mags that work for x39 in my XCRs and the price is half of .300.

Reactions: Chowwow

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sean K. said:
Not a fan of what? PCCs? The XCR? .300 BLK?
I meant in .300 BLK, your the insight is always the best.

Apparently .300 BLK cycles just fine in the OSS can, when you got it on the right gas setting anyway.

Still, it might not be the best option, according to Pew Science:
OSS HX-QD 762 300 BLK Subsonic Suppressor Test — PEW Science

Now it's a matter of cost and mounting options. Think I got it though.

·
Registered
22,532 Posts
I meant in .300 BLK, your the insight is always the best.

Apparently .300 BLK cycles just fine in the OSS can, when you got it on the right gas setting anyway.

Still, it might not be the best option, according to Pew Science:
OSS HX-QD 762 300 BLK Subsonic Suppressor Test — PEW Science

Now it's a matter of cost and mounting options. Think I got it though.
Depends on what's most important to you. Weight and quiet? Get a high end sealed can. Going bang every time you pull the trigger regardless of how many rounds are fired with the can on? Get a flow through. To me, a weapon's most important function is to expend a round when the trigger's pulled. Not everyone agrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts