XCR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an XCR in 5.56. I was planning to buy a .308 barrel kit when available. I just read on the Robarms FAQ, however, that the XCR-L will not support .308. Does that mean I'd have to buy an entire new rifle for the .308? Thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
One of the experts can elaborate, but yes, you'll need a new rifle. I think it has to do with the length of the action and the size of the bolt/case head.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Yes the XCR-M(for medium)will be a larger frame weapon ,very much similar to an AR15(5.56x45) vs an AR10(7.62x51).The heavier recoil forces,and longer cartridge length dictate a more robust and larger frame.The stroke length(distance the action has to travel to chamber a new round) between the two rounds is significant enough the the standard AR15 frame would not accommodate the longer round.I'm no engineer but I would say the frame would take a fair amount of abuse but would eventually succumb to the greater forces at work on it as well.
You can make a bolt for the XCR or an AR15 work with the larger diameter case(7.62x51)uses a .473 diameter bolt head and the (5.56) uses a .378 bolt head.So to answer your question,yes you will have to buy a completely new rifle,once it has been released of course.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for explaining and clarifying this for me. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a complete rifle and I really wanted a .308. Still, I'm happy with the XCR-L.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
You can always buy a 6.5, 6.8, or 7.62x39 Kit for the XCR you have. :2cents: ;D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gunner - I'm definitely thinking about it. I've spent several hours today reading about the 6.5 and 6.8. The 6.5 sounds great to me, but there seems to be quite a bit concern about ammo availability and even if the 6.5 will last. I'll probably wait a bit longer.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Other difference with a 7.62x51 and the 5.56 is the magwell size being substantially larger with the 7.62.

(The 2.260" OAL of the 5.56 and the 2.800" OAL of 7.62x51)

·
Registered
325 Posts
so if you can't go from XCR-L to the .308, will you be able to go from the .308 to 5.56? will the XCR M be interchangeable as well?

·
Registered
874 Posts
The 308 is changable but calibers will be calibers based off the 308 case such as 338 federal, 260 remington, 7mm08, 243win, and others.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
so if you can't go from XCR-L to the .308, will you be able to go from the .308 to 5.56? will the XCR M be interchangeable as well?
I would most likely say no.Using a 5.56 in an AR-10 or An XCR-M would require some type of special magazine if it were to work properly.It's similar to chambering a bolt action rifle in .308 Winchester(short action) in a long action rifle that will fit a 30-06 length cartridge.Given proper magazine adapting,it will work but the action and overall weapon will be somewhat larger and heavier than necessary to accommodate the smaller round.
The 7.62x51 NATO is a least 1/4 inches longer and while that might not sound like much,it requires the weapon to also be built much more robustly to withstand the heavier powder charge and recoil.The point here is that even though it could most likely be made to work,few people would want to pay the price in extra weight,just to be able to use one weapon for both.I don't want to presume what other people think,but I'm sure if there were a market for that,someone would have tapped into it by now.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Simple answer is this:

The XCR-L is multi-caliber between 5.56, 6.5, 6.8 and 7.62x39mm.

The XCR-M is strictly a .308 Winchester rifle.

XCR-M will not fit XCR-L caliber kits.

XCR-L will not fit XCR-M caliber kits.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Simple answer is this:

The XCR-L is multi-caliber between 5.56, 6.5, 6.8 and 7.62x39mm.

The XCR-M is strictly a .308 Winchester rifle. Also 243, 260 would be possible calibers

XCR-M will not fit XCR-L caliber kits.

XCR-L will not fit XCR-M caliber kits.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Don't Forget 338 Federal for a caliber.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
The XCR-M is strictly a .308 Winchester rifle.
I wouldn't say that.The 7,62x51/.308 might be the initial introduction caliber,but why would they stop there when so many other fine cartridges are based on that case.Say the .243 Winchester,.260 Remington,7mm-08 and the .338 Federal.The best part about these caliber exchange kits is that all you should need to swap is a different barrel,because they all use the same case,therefore magazines and bolts should be identical.Which of course means cheaper conversion kits. :2cents:

·
Registered
354 Posts
True, but any caliber kits for the XCR-M still will not fit the XCR-L and vise versa.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
True, but any caliber kits for the XCR-M still will not fit the XCR-L and vise versa.
Correct,but I never claimed it would . ;D Maybe in my first post I should have been more clear.It will never work unless designed to do so,and since no other(than I am aware of) manufacturers have attempted this,I would say most likely the "M" will not be either.I didn't mean to sound like I wasn't sure if it would work or not.It has never been mentioned by Robinson,to my knowledge anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts