XCR Forum banner

What do you think of .40 Cal for Pistols?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own any pistols in .40 and give my buddy a hard time about him owning them. I always tell him that I wont pick up .40 brass at the range since I don't reload it. Me, I figure there is plenty of good defensive ammo in 9mm and if I want something with as much muzzle blast and recoil as a .40 i shoot my .45 (I carry a .45 as my EDC). What is everyone elses opinion? I know it is a good shooting caliber but I have heard more than once that it punishes the shooter too much for what it does (mostly if you are shooting all day like at a defensive pistol course).

Who prefers .40 over .45 or 9mm?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
40 is a fine caliber but 9mm is cheaper to shoot and load for. If I want to worry about defense that's why I got a couple 1911's in .45 and then of course my 38 Super.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Where's the option for: Lower capacity than a 9mm and less power than a .45?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I carry a .40SW. I like the ballistics, the energies match the .45, velocities are a touch lower than 9mm. I'm happy with 13+1 in the caliber. I own a full size .45 and love it of course and so I do think that when talking about a full size, know you're going to the fight, pistol, the .45 gets the nod. I agree that there really isn't much difference in recoil between the two so you might as well go for the bigger hole but I went to .40 because I didn't like the feel of the Glock compact .45's in my hand and I wanted more capacity. Now there is the G30SF, and I'd like to shoot one of those some day, but for now I'm really happy with my .40. An AGrip makes a lot of difference in the comfort and control of the caliber for me.

My :2cents:

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
I shoot all three but to be honest, it's not so important about the bullet. It is all about where you put it. A bigger bullet should do more damage if you miss a vital zone, but you can deal with that by shooting more rounds.

When people ask me my preference I tell them that it's a personal thing. You can't go by my selection because it is based on my experience and abilities.

A good mantra is to shoot the biggest bullet you can control, and carry and highest capacity in that bullet that you can conceal. If the caliber doesn;t give you enought rounds then go down a size and up in volume. That's where .40 does well.

I like to carry something that minimizes danger of shoot through and that means no 115g 9mm. So a 180g .40 Golden Saber or 230g .45 Ranger +P work well. My wife carries 124g 9mm.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks the .40 has a snappier felt recoil than the .45?

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
My 40's definitely does, but then again all my 40's are shorter barrel than my 45's so that probably has something to do with it.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
EC I'm sure it does,it seems to me that the .40 has a faster slide velocity,maybe something to do with higher operating pressures.

·
Registered
206 Posts
+1 on that statement. I didn't care for it. If I have to put up with sharp recoil in an auto, I'll take a 10mm over a .40 anyday. Wish I had kept my HK M10 though. That was the smoothest shooting .40 I've ever handled.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
.40 is snappy like a 9mm, where .45 is more of a shove. Pistol design has a lot to do with felt recoil as well. Bore axis, weight, grip angle etc...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I like the .40 and have been carrying a G22 during the winter months for years. 180gr bullets have a softer recoil impulse compared to 165gr and 155gr

The benefits are simple: 9mm size frame, great soft tissue and autoglass/auto metal penetration, big capacity

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't like the .40. All the high pressure hassles of the 9mm and all the expense of the .45. Lose/lose.

Actually, some of the expense issue has gone away with the mass police adoption of the .40. I've seen cases selling for 9mm prices or even below. However, bullets pretty much track with the .45, so the above statement still has validity, just not as much as it used to.

I only have one .40, an HK USP40. It's a pretty good gun, but...well, it just doesn't do anything my 9mms or .45s can't as well or better. 9mm is much cheaper and I prefer the .45 platforms over available .40 platforms. Consequently, the USP might get shot once a year or so. Heck, my Super .38 sees more use than my .40.

The real bottom line is price. 9mmP is simply so much cheaper to keep running these days. The expense of both .40 and .45 is enough they don't see frequent use. When I do feel like blowing off expense, I simply prefer my existing .45s to my USP.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If I may add my opinion... When the .40 S&W first came out back in the early 90's I was all over it. I had a couple of Glocks, a Sigma (I know, I know), and a Smith 490-something, all in .40. It wasn't too bad on the pocket back then. But over time I noticed how much harder it shot and in my Glock 23 it would make my trigger finger numb. Now I only have 9mm and .45. Here is the way I describe shooting the .40 compared to 9 and .45:

The 9 and .45 recoil front to back pretty smoothly but the .40 recoils out in every direction like the gun is coming apart.

Throw in cost etc. and I think the 9mm (especially in 19+1 capacity) is the way to go.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I don't like the .40. All the high pressure hassles of the 9mm and all the expense of the .45...
I agree, but if you go 45 only you are limiting yourself to your choices of guns. If I am going to get a P229 or Glock23, I would rather much get it in 40 than 9mm. 40's also in general hold more rounds, so that's a plus too.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Most .40 are double action designs. That's a big "lose" in my book. The few than aren't generally have .45 or 10mm variants and the price differential in ammo is negligable.

The only .40 pistols right now that actually makes me sorta consider spending money is the Steyr M40a1 and the Walther PPS. Again, though, the issue is that the 9mmP variant of the same guns is much, much cheaper to keep running.

I just don't get too excited about caliber anymore. It's about the money to keep them running.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The .40 is a good round. You can't go wrong with it. What would you rather get hit with? A 9mm or a .40? Obviously neither but if you had to you would choos the 9mm.

Now, the arguments are not new and will continue 'till the end of time. It is all a matter of preference. I like the .357 sig. It is my caliber of choice for numerous reasons. Stopping power of the .357 magnum with the semi-suto capacity of a .40 cal. I can carry 13+1 in my G32. 14 rounds is plenty considering I will carry an extra mag. If I can't hit my target in 28 rounds much less 14, I have no business using a gun.

9mm has been used as a standard for over 100 years. It is a decent round that has killing power. It also allows for a larg capacity.

.45 has been around for about as long. IT has great killing power but allows for less capacity ( although capacity is getting better).

.40 has the best of both worlds. Higher capacity than the .45 and more killing power than the 9mm.

.357 sig improves on the .40 buy increasing the killing power to that of the famous man stopper, 125gr .357 magnum. It also has better feeding capabilities because it is a bottle-necked round. If you have to, you can use 147gr or 124gr 9mm (.355) bullets which are very common if you cannot find 125gr .355 for the sig round.

:2cents:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Like any gun or caliber, what's your plan? Self-defense? Targets? Hunting? Finally shutting up that pain-in-the-ass neighbor? I don't see the point of 40S&W, personally, but 10mm is another matter entirely. I only shoot revolvers, but have several in 45acp and several in 10mm. 45acp is great for defense, fun for targets and fair for hunting. Dirt cheap for the handloader. 10mm is great for hunting, fun for targets, and I don't use it for defense. Maybe that neighbor. Anyway, it's also dirt cheap to reload. Capacity doesn't mean crap if you simply practice enough to hit what you shoot at, though you'd be amazed just how fast moonclipped revolvers reload. Why one instead of the other? Well, why not?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
OK I left the 10mm out because no matter how you look at it, it is simply a .40 cal magnum round. the 10mm and .40 have the exact same bullet, same diameter casing. The only difference is the length of the case and obviously more grains of powder. 10mm = :biggun:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I heart the .40. Its what I carry and the one I enjoy shooting. More powerful than a 9mm and less recoil than a .45. I go by the theory that I want to carry the most powerful cartridge that I can fire accurately. That for me is the .40.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts