XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The XCR I have just purchased has .223 stamped on the barrel, which I have heard is due to 5.56 x 45mm models not being allowed into Canada any more. The Model I have is a heavey barrell 18.6".

Recently I have been pondering the idea of obtaining some military 5.56 instead of regular .223 American Eagle, Winchester, etc.

Is is my understanding the 5.56 x 45mm NATO has a High Pressure than .223 rem.

Can you shoot 5.56 x 45mm with the higher pressure without damaging / causing problems??

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I'd almost bet that it is just stamped differently and has the exact same chamber dimensions as one marked 5.56. It might have been an export deal. 223 would require a different reamer and thus cost to maintain. Terra could shed a little insight but RA might consider that propietary info.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Yes the 5.56 has a somewhat higher pressure curve than commercial .223.You shouldn't fire 5.56 in a .223 chamber because of that,it might not damage the weapon,but you might get sticky extraction or hard bolt lift on a bolt action.The 5.56 has thicker brass than .223.It's the internal dimensions that are smaller,thats partly what generates a higher pressure.The chamber dimensions of the two are very similar,but 5.56 has a larger/longer throat to accommodate the higher pressures.I believe the military has a different scale for measuring pressure too,I think it's P.S.I. vs C.P.U.'s that the commercial ammo uses.Confused yet? Bottom line:.223 in a 5.56 is fine,but don't shoot 5.56 in a .223 commercial chamber.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does not make sense to me is I can't see Rob Arms manufacturing a strictly .223 barrel for us Canadians...
There has not been a large number of XCR's brought into Canada to substantiate a new barrel.

I have a sneaking suspicion it is a stamp issue......

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have a XCR in Canada and the so called .223 barrel has and will shoot 5.56 fine. Though I think mine is stamped 5.56 cause it was still ok to get 5.56 stamped stuff when I got mine.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
shhhhh.......big brother is watching ;)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
0000029143 said:
The Canada barrels will shoot the 5.56 just fine.

Terra.

You better double check on that.

http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/news/newsview.aspx?storyid=11

http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html

http://www.saami.org/Unsafe_Combinations.cfm

In Rifle Chambered For 223 Remington
Do Not Use These Cartridges 5.56mm Military

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56x45mm_NATO

Regards...Martin

She knows what she's talking about. ;) Without saying as much I believe this has been relegated as an export/nomenclature issue.

Folks know it doesn't mean anything but I'd hate for someone to get a burr up the butt and want to make a name for themselves for making "tough export regualtions".

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think the 5.56 in a .223 thing may be fear of lawsuit driven. As fearful as it sounds then I should be dead many times over with a face full of shrapnel due to the thousands and thousands of 5.56 rounds I have pounded through a few Mini-14s or perhaps I'm just blessed.
Or maybe Rugers guns were chambered in 5.56 and marked and advertised as .223
Those warnings did not exist back in the 70s,80s or early 90s that I know of.
SAAMI has been around for 70 years.

I am not suggesting that any one do what I did.

Please do not try this at home. your actual mileage may vary. trained professionals under controlled circumstances, do not try to duplicate. use at your own risk. caveat emptor

All that said ammo built to full 5.56 does operate at full pressure and the brass is a bit thicker and slightly harder to withstand the abuses of M.G. usage. A 5.56 spec chamber will be a tad larger with a longer leade or throat to accommodate the ogive of the M865
tracer bullet.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
0000029152 said:
223 is less accurate in 5.56 barrels

Say that to my leg points and EIC badge! ;)

I understand your concern with the nomenclature/stamping. In this case, I believe it was solely to pass muster for export, a necessary deviation from the norm to supply overseas customers. With a 5.56 chamber you can shoot whatever you want and have no worries...except reloads. No manufacturer will ever tell you to reload ammo for their rifle.

People can dispute/attack/quote anything I say all day long! :D I appreciate the discussion around here opposed to other forums and the turds that know everything and talk about "when they get their rifle...."

If you speak to a lot of manufacturers however, even though their "223" barrels are stamped as such, most are cut to allow for 5.56 since they have absolutely no idea what the chucklehead that bought it is going to run through it.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
For what it's worth, I would accept Terra's word on such an issue without hesitation. Her track record is impeccable. I think her response was intentionally worded quite carefully.

tk

·
Registered
874 Posts
This is just an issue with the Canadian XCR's as the US DOS will not allow export of anything marked 5.56 on it. So to get around this bs policy they just stamp the thing .223. Its just politics why 5.56 can't be exported and we can thank the UN for putting pressure to on the US DOS for putting in such ridiculous policies. :mad:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I very much doubt Alex is reaming the chambers any differently. I suspect it's simply a stamping excercise.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
In many countries it is illegal to own a pistol or rifle chambered in the same cartridge their military uses. This where get odd balls like 9mm Largo and such; they can use the same barrel, just reamed differently. The UN is worried that military stockpiles could be used in revolutions. Which begs the question, if a guerilla force captured an ammo supply point there exists the possibility they have also captured weapons too?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
The U.N. is a horde of mentally underdeveloped rejects that should have been humanely snuffed at birth.They suck and should be thrown the hell out of our country.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Rofl a Revolution in Canada. I guess if the west Separates if the Coalition tries to overthrow our governement then I will be joining the Canada West republican Army to take down the Pussy's and Queers of the East. If would be funny to see a militia of 100 take the city of Toronto from those (6 million) Liberal wimps.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
In the words of Alan Alda, "Come out pronto or we'll level Toronto."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts