XCR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out my brother is building 2 bolt action 50 cals. One will have a 36in barrel for target shooting (at long distances) and the other will have a tactical 22-26in barrel??? Cant remember exactly. On pain killers, once he get them built will post pics. Cant wait to fire them.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Enjoy!

I get 55 gallon steel drums from work, free of charge. People ask what I'm doing with 'em from time to time.

I ask if they've ever watched a kid shoot an empty coke can at 25 yards. Sure. Or an empty spinache can at 50 yards. Sure. Then I tell 'em a 55 gallon drum is the same concept at 1 mile.

Yeah, I'm exagerating...... it's only 1600 instead of 1760 :eek:

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I didn't want to bring that up, but I was wondering why anyone would want a barrel that short.

One of my cohorts has one of the 'shorty' Barrett semi-autos. He hasn't squeezed the trigger on it yet. I'm not sure I want to be laying beside him when he does.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Shoot the shorty at night and post the pics please ;D

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
FWIW, the instructor I had for the long-long range stuff was given three different rifles for evaluation - all chambered in 50 BMG.

Out of the three, the Barrett was the least accurate. I can't remember what the third one was, but I do remember the Windrunner. Except one of my compatriots here bought a Windrunner - works fine except for the fact the bolt doesn't go far enough to the rear to pick the next round in the mag up. It's a "pull bolt back, stick finger in ejection port, wiggle round forward until it pops up, push bolt forward".

I'm not trying to slam Barrett - they're a great company. Back when Tony worked there, I was overly-impressed with the help he'd give. Heck, I even advocate using the Barrett adjustable rings - I do.

But they're more geared for military than anything else......

And I don't know about any other "problem" Windrunners than the one just south of me either.

Shifting gears here - FWIW, I haven't ever lined out my farthest range. I know there's probably another 1600 yards past where I shoot (going in the same direction) but I've just never staked / ranged it that far. The only "problem" area is a dip around 800 yards - gotta shoot from the back of the truck until you get closer to 1k.

If someone wants to drive Terra's car out there to 2 miles, we can see if we can hit it ;D
Oh, tracers aren't legal here......

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I still have an itch for a 50 but I don't think I will ever scratch it.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have a small footlocker of Brass, probably 800 pieces or so. I was going to sell them as scrap as most have tarnished to the point that they wont have that shiny brass look after tumbling. They still shoot good, just aren't shiny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts