XCR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anybody has tried using Cproducts 6.5 Grendel mags loaded with 7.62x39. There have been a number of people that have had good success with them in the AR platform when using a x39 upper. Usually you can only get 22 - 24 rounds in the 25rnd mag. If it works, it would be a lower profile fix to the huge curved 30rnd mags.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Interesting idea,I wish I had the x39 kit to try it,I hate that funky curve...lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anybody tried this yet with 7.62x39?

I can test a 6.5 mag with Wolf MHP in my XCR if somebody will sell one to me or send me a loaner.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got the 25 rounder in 6.5 and actually tried it with dummies - chambering and ejection seem fine. Will try on the range in a few days and post here

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I got the 25 rounder in 6.5 and actually tried it with dummies - chambering and ejection seem fine.
Out of curiosity, how many dummy rounds did you put in the mag? Considering the difference in 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel cartridge case taper, I'd be very surprised if it'd work well with anywhere near a full 25 rounds.

·
Registered
81 Posts
"Out of curiosity, how many dummy rounds did you put in the mag? Considering the difference in 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel cartridge case taper, I'd be very surprised if it'd work well with anywhere near a full 25 rounds"

I only had 4 dummies.
I did hear that someone managed to get around 21 x 7.62 rounds in the 25-round Grendel mag.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
"Out of curiosity, how many dummy rounds did you put in the mag? Considering the difference in 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel cartridge case taper, I'd be very surprised if it'd work well with anywhere near a full 25 rounds"

I only had 4 dummies.
Thanks. It'll be interesting to see how it works for you with a greater number of rounds in the mag.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I would also be interested as that might make the 7.62x39 conversion interesting for me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I live in CA and got the plastic 10 rounder with my x39 kit. I have 9 25 rounders and 1 ten in 6.5(all C-products steel) in preparation for the 6.5 conversion. I took the plastic and steel tens,and two 25'rs out(across state lines and out of CA, of course) and, well...there's potential.
The plastic ten was kind of crap. The C-products mags took x39, but it didn't sit right in either size-the taper difference both front to rear and mag curve weren't right, and rounds were snug at the rear but loose at the front, with a tendency to nose down. I also realized that just blasting 20 rounds through each mag could get expensive, even with wolf ammo, and it was windy and raining, so I ran out of patience for trying to fight weather, conduct break-in and accuracy on the new conversion, and experiment with mags all at once. For what it's worth, the C-prod ten and shortloaded hi-caps seem to be a better option than the plastic x39 that came with the kit. I could stuff 22 or 23 into the big mags, but the more rounds the worse the fit problems were, so I stuck with 20 round boxes, and only ran each mag a couple of times.

Bottom line, I would need a LOT more experimenting before I would count on this set-up for anything important, but I would say it's worth looking into further, and I will repost here as I gain experience. The kit was being broken in, and the C-prod x39's are said to need break-in, so maybe the 6.5's do as well. I will definitely do some more experimenting-loading and unloading mags without shooting, seeing to breaking in kit to full reliability, etc. I wonder if changing out followers would help? It couldn't hurt, I guess. Ultimately , I expect to find that some mags will work for some guns reliably, but it won't be a plug-and-play, any-mag-in-any-gun swap. I had quite a few failures, but to be honest I've seen correct gun/mag combos that were as bad. I will try to see if I can get hold of x39 followers to try first, along with a little mag break-in. One caution, though-the nose-down condition ran the bullet nose into the front of the mag well hard enough to push the bullet pretty far back into the case, so I probably would have had a pretty bad overpressure if I hadn't caught that one and tried to fire it.

On a side note, I really want my XCR to be my do-all gun, and I don't think 5.56 is a do-all round. I'm pretty heavily invested in 6.5, but I'm starting to lose hope. Do any of you 6.8 guys think I could change followers in the 6.5 mags and get them to run in 6.8? They look a lot closer dimensionally than the 6.5/x39 mags. I suppose I'm being cheap if I'm considering a $550 conversion and $20-30 a box for ammo and stumbling on buying a few mags, but hey, I already have the mags and no gun for them, so if it works, why not?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts