XCR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in my shop Friday and they had a brand new XCR shorty in 6.8 SPC. Man that thing looked soooo good. I've been wondering if I should indulge in a 6.8 for some time now but can't bring myself to do it. I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this for me. Here's my thought process:

I have a 7.62 kit on order. I'll be running an 11" barrel on the weapon. I'll use it mainly for carbine class training and for my "poop hits the cooling unit" gun. From what I know 7.62 hits hard enough but accuracy beyond 200 may be questionable. 7.62 is cheaper and I don't plan on hunting with it but from what I've read the 6.8 is good for that.

If I need more I have a couple of .308's so I don't really see the need to have the 6.8.

Yesterday I shot my friend's LWRC 10.5 piston AR. We put a PWS break on it. It shot ok but I'm now convinced that AR's feel like they are going to explode when you shoot them. We then shot the XCR and it was like going from an old hot rod to a new Mercedes. So smooth and silky. That's when I decided that I am definitely getting another XCR. I've been wanting an AR so badly but when I shoot them that desire quickly goes away. The reason why I'm mentioning this is because I was thinking of buying an AR in 6.8, but I can't even imagine how horrible that experience would be. So I plan to have 2 XCR shorty's one set up permanently as 7.62 and one in 5.56.

Am I missing something? What other factors should I consider?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Before the XCR 6.8 kit was available I bought a 6.8 AR Upper. I was NOT a happy camper. It had to go BACK to the factory because it would NOT eject and feed the next round. When I received the upper back from repair it worked O.K. with FACTORY ammo. It did NOT like my reloads. I had to find another powder it liked. :crossedfingers:

When I received, and installed, my new XCR 6.8 kit I was pleasantly surprised. The XCR shot everything I fed it INCLUDING the 300 rounds of 6.8 reloads the AR wouldn't cycle. :doh: :rapidfire:

Short ARs are notorious for cycle problems. XCRs are NOT. Get another XCR. :2cents:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply gunner, but what do you feel you gain from the 6.8 over say, the 7.62? I'm mainly concerned about CQB work and can't really think of any advantage of the 6.8 in this role.

G

·
Thanks for the reply gunner, but what do you feel you gain from the 6.8 over say, the 7.62? I'm mainly concerned about CQB work and can't really think of any advantage of the 6.8 in this role.
If I may chime in here with an opinion not based on any particular fact or anything, but in the XCR format I think your advantage to the 6.8 is the magazines. They are a lot less radically designed and have had more time to be proven. plus there are more than one good maker producing them, which gives you more options.

you only gain .023" more diameter with the x39, so theoretically at CQB distances it's be a wash, as there are great performing rounds with both.

the x39 really wins out when cost to shoot comes in. it's at least 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of the 6.8.

if you really want a good CQB gun then look no firther than a good AK like the Arsenal slr-107. if I had to pick between an XCR in x39 or an AK, SOLELY for CQB, then it's always and forever the AK hands down without any equivocations 8)

when it comes to the x39, it really belongs in a commie gun using commie mags. they just plain work. I'd rellly hesitate to trust a new gun with new mags in a caliber that I can have in a trusted system with trusted mags and pay half the price for it.

brings me back to the old standby of late... the XCR in 6.8 is the new queen of the battlefield. it just seems to do everything "good enough"

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Prizm, I can't offer to much more advice that hasn't already been offered. Ammo prices are higher in 6.8, though it isn't a reloading only caliber with Silver State ammo in the mix. I love my 6.8 in 11" and plan to throw an AAC 6.8 can on it when I get back. It feels well balanced and has about the same recoil as a shorty AR in 5.56 (though muzzle blast is a little more). It is definietly a head turner at the range. I haven't ever shot it past 100m but I am confident that I could hit 8" plates out to 300m with good loads and a little more trigger time. I don't think you will hate yourself if you buy one, they really are nice shooting little packages.

I think it is a toss up for the CQB role and as said, the ammo will be cheaper in x39 for all the courses. Jack makes a good point about the magazine. We just don't know how functional the x39 will be with that crazy 30rd mag.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Prism, I also own a Colt Factory 7.62x39 Upper. Magazines for it in my AR (XCR would use the same) has ALWAYS been a problem. So far, all tried have failed at one time or another. If I were to choose the 7.62x39 for CQB I would snatch my Krebs AK-03S out of the rack and leave th AR Upper in the safe. Jack is right about the CHICOM Mags ..... they ALL work. In that caliber choice I would get a quality AK to feed the stuff. :2cents:

That said I LOVE my XCR in 6.8 and would choose it to reach a little further with a better group, and better caliber. You can't have everything, and no one caliber fits all the scenarios. YOU have to choose what's best for you. :duh: Good luck.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good feedback, guys and some factors I hadn't considered. That's what I was looking for. Looks like I'll be looking to the 6.8 for my next Robinson. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts