XCR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if these are new or not. Thought I'd post them for you 68ers out there just in case. No idea if they'll work on an XCR. Anyone out there have one or know if it'll work?

http://www.surefire.com/RifleCarbineSuppressors68mm277Caliber

They attach to flash hider adapters SureFire sells with them.

This looks to be a Barrett REC7/M468 with a thread protector (at the gas block where a Barrett-designed suppressor would attach) and the SureFire FA68K suppressor attached.

This is an M468 or REC7 with a re-threaded barrel. The Surefire adapter threads are 5/8-24 but the REC7 is 1/2-28

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I had heard they were coming out with this. Me, I would take the AAC M42K in 6.8. I have only handled the Surefire, never shot it but looking at the cutaways of both I think surefire should stay with flashlights.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just checked the site and didn't see any in 6.8. Are they bored out 5.56 or are guys using 7.62 cans on their 68s?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I can't speak from 1st hand authority but I believe the AAC M42000 in 6.8 is about the same dimensions as the 5.56 can. It may be bored out, I just know that everyone that has shot it says it is phenominal, and quiet on a 5.56 too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read some postings on 68forum that said some companies (I think AAC was one) will make a 6.8 can but you need to call and ask for it. Cheaper alternative would be to go with a 7.62 I guess. But I don't know much about them or problems that could cause (if any).

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
If you check out Silencertalk.com you will see some good discussions. I think more people shoot with a 7.62 can than with a 5.56 can. Me, I want a M42K and a 7.62SD. I figure the best thing would be to get the M42K in 6.8 that way I could shoot both cans on the 6.8. I emailed polite society just a few weeks ago and they had a 6.8 in stock.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Well, yes and no. You can order either can in a 6.8 and it would shoot both. You would also be waiting a long time for one as they don't make them as often. I would venture to say that the majority of the M42K cans are 5.56. I ended up ordering a M42K in 5.56 and a 7.62SD. I can shoot the 7.62SD on all the guns and the 5.56 will stay on the XCR more than likely.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:  My buddy got his Surefire 6.8mm can in and it DOES NOT FIT his REC7. :'(  The REC7 unlike it's predecessor (M468) has the 1/2-28 thread pattern vs. Surefire's 5/8-24 muzzle brake adapter pattern.  So the first rifle pictured is the M468 unless someone had the REC7 barrel re-threaded. 

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Update: My buddy got his Surefire 6.8mm can in and it DOES NOT FIT his REC7. :'( The REC7 unlike it's predecessor (M468) has the 1/2-28 thread pattern vs. Surefire's 5/8-24 muzzle brake adapter pattern. So the first rifle pictured is the M468 unless someone had the REC7 barrel re-threaded.
That sucks, I guess have him send it off to Tornado Tech to get re-threaded or get a thread adapter made. The adapter may be the cheapest way to go. He could also call Surefire and see if they will make the brake in his thread pattern.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yeah, if you are a premier member over at Silencerresearch.com you will see that the recent test of 7.62 cans on 5.56 resulted in only SLIGHTLY less noise suppression. If you are only going to get 1 can, get a .22 can. If you are going to get 2, get one for 7.62 that you can shoot on many different things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts