XCR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of doing some reloading for my 7.62x39 XCR conversion. What is the actual size of the bore? I've seen bullet components in .310, .311 and some seem to be even using .308 in AKs and SKSs. Which should I use. I think the correct bullet diameter is .310 but wanted confirmation.

Also, does anyone have any advise on who makes the best dies and crimps in 7.62x39? I'm assuming that a roll crimp would be better in an autoloader than a taper crimp.

Can someone recommend a powder they use in this round?

What bullets have folks used successively on small-medium game (white tail, hogs)? I have some Privi Partisan round nose soft points and they really don't feed well in the XCR. It seems to need a pointed bullet.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Check the bore of your rifle and reload to match it. If yiu use a bullet that is too small you will loose accuracy. If you go over you may have pressure issues but will also wear the barrel faster.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
It should, but not all rifles use the correct bore.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad I started this thread. It looks like I'm not the only one confused. My Lyman Reloading Handbook (48th Edition) shows a bullet diameter of .3110. But the listed bullets all seem to be .310. And when I go shopping for bullets, the most common ones listed for 7.62x39 are .310.

As for measuring my XCR's 7.62 bore, I really don't think I have the equipment. I thought you had to slug the barrel to measure it accurately.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
The manufacturer should be able to tell you, or a competant gunsmith. The other way is to load .308 first, then .310 and then .311 and chack presures and accuracy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mickey. Since RA is the mfg of the XCR conversions, maybe Terra will spot this thread and tell us RA's spec for the bore.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Here's what I would do if it were me. first i'd mike some different brands of bullets to find the biggest and pick that one for testing.
I would throw together a trough about six feet long cut a hole in one end and patch it with corrugated plastic, fill it up with water and fire one round. the bullet should stop in about three feet. Then Mic the bullets bore and groove diameters.
But that's just me.
In the past I have driven pure dead soft lead .32 cal muzzle loader round balls of .315 Dia. down the bores of my .30 cal rifles. But I don't have any of those left either.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
It is probably easier to slug the barrel. Take pure lead (fishing weights) and push them with a wooden dowel from breech to muzzle. Mic the lead and you will have your answer.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Good tip about the fish weights aziator. IIRC those "split shot" types can be had pretty big can't they?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yes they can, and I think most fishing weights are pure lead, wont do anything to the barrel. I have never had the chance to slug the barrel but now that I am getting into casting my own bullets I plan on doing it to a few guns to make sure I size the bullets to the perfect size.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts