XCR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't recall exact round count, I think around 150-200. Excellent condition. Comes with 2 C-products magazines. $400 shipped CONUS. Will also consider trade for .300BLK conversion. Has the adjustable gas system, gen 2 I think it is.

·
Registered
23,091 Posts
Is that a standard or mini length gas system? Looks like a standard. If it's a mini, I might know a friend who might be interested.

·
Registered
23,091 Posts
16" barrel. And it's the gas block that has the numbers and can be adjusted by hand. I thought the first gen had to use a tool?
RobArms calls it a Type 0 gas block....the one that required a tool.

Reactions: Flskunkape

·
Registered
131 Posts
When you say tool to you mean like a bullet tip to depressed the detent? I've got 2 like that. Would those be type 0 or type 1? Or is there an actual tool to adjust the type 0?

·
Registered
23,091 Posts
When you say tool to you mean like a bullet tip to depressed the detent? I've got 2 like that. Would those be type 0 or type 1? Or is there an actual tool to adjust the type 0?
Never owned a Type 0 but my understanding is that it takes an actual tool, NOT simply a bullet tip. You'd have to post a pic to be sure, but I think you're referring to a buried Type 3 or Type 1 gas block if you're using a bullet to depress a detent to rotate the dial. Hell, for that matter, even a Type 2 benefits from using a bullet tip to rotate the dial, I just don't think you depress anything IIRC.

The gas block at the top of the post is a Type 1. You can usually just depress the detent with your finger and rotate the dial, but sometimes the dial will stick from carbon build up and rotating it is easier by placing a bullet tip through the big hole in the dial and using the cartridge to lever it to the gas position you want.

Post a pic and we can tell you for sure. And FYI, you can post an image straight from your computer on this site....no need to link to a photo sharing site (LOVE that feature here).

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would compare what you have to the photos in the parts guide on RA’s website. Note that if you have a type 0 block, it would be paired with a type zero piston, which looks different from the two varieties of type 1 piston. I think I’m starting to understand some of these differences and the more I work with my XCR and look at these past stages in its evolution, the more I’m appreciating how damn smart the platform is.

·
Registered
23,091 Posts
I don't have a picture of it on my phone, but most of the Ls I own have the same type of gas block as is in OPs photo.
That's a type 1. If you have to use a bullet to depress the detent, it probably needs cleaning.

·
Registered
23,091 Posts
I would compare what you have to the photos in the parts guide on RA’s website. Note that if you have a type 0 block, it would be paired with a type zero piston, which looks different from the two varieties of type 1 piston. I think I’m starting to understand some of these differences and the more I work with my XCR and look at these past stages in its evolution, the more I’m appreciating how damn smart the platform is.
Yeah...it's genius in its adaptability and configurability. You can easily upgrade it in most cases. The Type 2 lower is really the only thing that I can think of that requires any real machining.

Reactions: Northern

·
Registered
23,091 Posts
You mean to adapt a type 1 lower to use the type 2 BCG (with the buffer on the carrier)?
Yes. RA can mod a Type 1 lower to take Type 2 BCGs....it's a reasonably simple (if you have the jigs as RA does) hole drill.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Rehash, clarification, speculations and some "ass"umptions.

16" barrel, standard gas, type 1 block is what's pictured.

Type 0(gen 1) gas block needs a wrench to loosen a nut in order to lift then turn the gas regulator to one of the 4 positions. The rest of RA gas blocks don't require anything more than a bullet tip.

Type 1 and Type 3 blocks use the same piston head. As long as the gas length is the same, it's a direct swap.

Type 0 is a specific piston head that only works with the original style op rod. Any of the "lite" versions or without a welded foot won't work.

Type 0 and 1 use the same gas tube.

Type 3 gas tube is specific.

If you want to use the above setup in a newer gun:

Swap out the old block for a Type 3
Or
Swap out new gas tube for a Type 1(no longer produced)

If you can't source a Type 2 BOLT quickly, I'm thinking you could chop the tail end of a Type 1 bolt off to make it compatible with the current style carrier and firing pin. I'm betting the 556 tail will still be fine for most of your shooting needs. Another member has run a Type 1 bolt in a Type 2 carrier without the Type 2 firing pin installed. I don't build guns for a living but it seems to me that setup significantly increases your chance of a OOB

·
Registered
23,091 Posts
Rehash, clarification, speculations and some "ass"umptions.

16" barrel, standard gas, type 1 block is what's pictured.

Type 0(gen 1) gas block needs a wrench to loosen a nut in order to lift then turn the gas regulator to one of the 4 positions. The rest of RA gas blocks don't require anything more than a bullet tip.

Type 1 and Type 3 blocks use the same piston head. As long as the gas length is the same, it's a direct swap.

Type 0 is a specific piston head that only works with the original style op rod. Any of the "lite" versions or without a welded foot won't work.

Type 0 and 1 use the same gas tube.

Type 3 gas tube is specific.

If you want to use the above setup in a newer gun:

Swap out the old block for a Type 3
Or
Swap out new gas tube for a Type 1(no longer produced)

If you can't source a Type 2 BOLT quickly, I'm thinking you could chop the tail end of a Type 1 bolt off to make it compatible with the current style carrier and firing pin. I'm betting the 556 tail will still be fine for most of your shooting needs. Another member has run a Type 1 bolt in a Type 2 carrier without the Type 2 firing pin installed. I don't build guns for a living but it seems to me that setup significantly increases your chance of a OOB
Thanks Nate....I think I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate your expertise.

I just got a 300 BLK conversion and noticed the firing pin has changed (I should post a pic tonight)...wondering now if the firing pin channel in the bolt is now different to accommodate the enlarged portion of the pin towards the tip. I'm assuming this design is an answer to broken firing pins in the Type 1 and type 2 guns.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Latest firing pin is a bit beefier. Not sure how much clearance there is in the bolt channel but figured if you're willing to chop the tail on a type 1 bolt it wouldn't be much more effort to open up the channel some.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.