XCR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... a ZSU-23-4 barrel. :eek:

If you don't know what that is, just google it. It's a 23mm.

I've had some strange requests in the time since I started my own shop, but this takes the cake. I wouldn't even know where to get a parkerizing tank long enough to refinish something like that, without having it custom fabricated (which I could have done, but at a high cost).

I guess I could offer to DuraCoat it.

The guy said he restores military vehicles. I didn't know we had Russian AAA vehicles around here.

ETA: He has 5 of them. Now I'm thinking about trying to do it, just for the pictures for my brochure. I'm interested in whether these are display only or are really parts from NFA items. I always thought barrels on big stuff like that were painted like the rest of the vehicle.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
If it works it's a destructive device but I doubt it. Anyway the ZSU eats barrels with many only lasting a few hundered rounds.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Tell him to drive his BMP over to the house so you can get "family pictures" and match colors. Good Luck on that one.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
The ZSU 23-4 was my main threat when flying helicopters, at least before we took out all the AAA. We got ambushed once trying to grab one as a war trophy, something about a CH-47 hovering in the middle of the day trying to hook up a sling load in bad guy land :duh:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Orbiting about a mile away, keeping overwatch. I guess Haji saw us a few hours before when we stopped at the start of the mission and looked at it. He was ready when we came home. We didn't get it but he didn't get us.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Get them boyz across the way to go in there after hours and grab it for ya! They like that shit... the same as you!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We got ambushed once trying to grab one as a war trophy, something about a CH-47 hovering in the middle of the day trying to hook up a sling load in bad guy land :duh:
Wikipedia has the ZSU weighing in at 19 tonnes (metric/1000kg per tonne). From what I remember from Air Assault school, the CH-47D has a sling weight capacity (front and back hook/dual sling config) of 26,000 lbs. 1kg = 2.205 lbs x 19 tonnes (19k kilograms) = 41,895 lbs = WAY over the max sling load weight of that aircraft.

Of course, my memory may be bad on the slingload weight of the aircraft. Wiki may also have bad info on the vehicles' weight. I used to know all that stuff, but it's been a couple of years.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Back in the Falklands war we had most of our aircraft disabled on the way. We ended up with eight Harriers and two Chinooks. At one point the pilots who flew troops and equipment accross the island, were exceeding max load by over 50%. I can't say much for the state of the gearboxes or engines post use but those helicopters did the work.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
We reguarly carried way more than we were suppused to, but I also mis-spoke. It was a 23-2, the towed 2 barrel version.
Red, I emailed him on his balad account.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Cool - he said he sent a message to you as well. Hope y'all can hook up. BE SAFE

1 - 14 of 14 Posts