XCR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Just found these forums (and in fact just found out about the XCR) this past week, and this is my first opportunity to post.

Sitting on the couch the other night watching the news about how AR15's and similar weapons were flying off the shelf, my wife looked and me and said "you need to buy another assault rifle". Needless to say, after hugging and kissing her for being the worlds most wonderful wife, i started looking into my options. I've decided on the XCR and am ready to pull the trigger.

We don't have any dealers near here, but i've emailed Roy over at Aussie Arms, and he's going to get me a quote. I'm going with the 5.56 with 16" light barrel. I wanted to wait for the new stocks to come out from RA, but i'm a little nervous about postponing the purchase so i'm going with a M4 collapsible stock, which i will likely swap out once the new XCR stock is available.

I was wondering if people who had gotten the midwest industries BUIS were happy with them, or if i should spring for a set of Troys.

I'm also wanting a VFG, but I've seen mention of trouble with some grips on this gun and i wanted to get some opinions on which ones people have had good results with.

Any feedback or suggestions regarding the XCR will be greatly appreciated. Anyone with an accurate release date on the new stock gets my gratitude and a plate of cookies with a glass of milk :p.

Thanks in advance,

Rodney

·
Registered
652 Posts
MI BUIS are a great piece of gear for the money, Troys are sexier but for that much more they better do more then just sit.

VFG from GG&G is worth every penny, My buddy busted his tango down so pick wisely.

I talk to RA on a fairly regular basis and as of right now they are firming up some structural mods for final prototyping.
I like the wire stock, the thing is so tough. I dislodged a bloated reload case from the chamber during a 3 gun night match. (would have bent a buffer tube for sure!)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Not sure what you heard about the VFG, they mount the same as they would on an AR, so whatever you like on an AR should work on the XCR. Roy will take care of you, he is a good guy to work with.

As far as the stock, as o313 said, it sounds like it will be real nice. I spoke to Alex about it a few days ago and they are putting the finishing touches on it right now.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I put a Tango Down stubby on mine and it was a real bi+ch to get on. I had it DuraCoated to match the rest of the OD Green but I really don't think that could have added the extra thickness that made it a problem. I had to lube it up and the rail still peeled a thin strip of plastic off the VFG when I finally got it into position. I like it though. Light weight and it's the perfect size for me.

As for the MI BUIS. I think they're great for the price. I was able to see about half of this 8" at 50 yds with them. Make sure they're tight and have the right allen set when you hit the range the first time. These were my first 10 shots with my 6.8 last week. When I went to adjust the windage I noticed the rear sight was very loose and guess who didn't have the right allen set.... :duh:

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Ok I don't want to be redundant ,but as others have stated the MI sights are good kit,and frankly for the money about the best value.They are called BUIS for a reason,and unless you are using them as primaries on a regular basis,I can't get spending $300 on a set of irons,that could be spent on better optics or a backup optic.I would after you find where you want them on the rail,I would blue loctite there mounting screws,they can and will work loose.
Again,good suggestion to buy the gun without a stock,which is what I did.You can buy whatever stopgap,you want until you see whether the new stock is for you,then either sell the old one or keep for a backup.I don't know how long it will take for our new communist govt. to start attacking the second amendment,but why not order now while you have the money.
As far as the VFG I recall it seems(could be wrong) about some certain picatinny accessories being a little finicky,I don't remember where it was on here but you might find it by doing a search.I would recommend waiting until you have the gun and try it without first just in case you find it feels different than what your used to using it on.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I have a Bobro short grip on mine... it has plenty of contact patch to hold solid on the XCR rail. The KAC vertical grip does not, and I would not use that one with the XCR. Those are the only two I have tried on this rifle.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great and rapid replies.

It sounds like i can be comfortable going with the MI BUIS.

I like the Tango stubby but the posts about them busting and being hard to mount on the rails have me a bit leary. I'm going to check out the GG&G you mentioned o313. I'll check out the Bobro too NY.

I had originally considered ordering without a stock and just putting on a cheap stock to tide me over, but i decided today to go ahead and spend the money on the folding tube stock to have it as a back up and to see how i like it.

XCR-fin, is that the muzzlebreak from the RobArms site or did you get your own after purchasing the gun? I've not seen a pic of the muzzlebreak that the XCR can be ordered with, so i'm not sure what it looks like.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. They are much appreciated. I have to say, i'm pretty excited to get my XCR ordered and in my hand, and I'm sure i'll be posting plenty for additional advice

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
That brake on Fin's gun looks like the stock one that comes on the 6.8SPC and 7.62x39

·
Registered
356 Posts
XCR-fin, is that the muzzlebreak from the RobArms site or did you get your own after purchasing the gun? I've not seen a pic of the muzzlebreak that the XCR can be ordered with, so i'm not sure what it looks like.
Aziator is correct. That is the RA brake. I would prefer a flash hider but they won't fly in my state. I searched out some other brakes and didn't find one that was any better. Finding one in 6.8 was a challenge. I'm happy with it. It doesn't look half bad and the recoil is next to nothing.

Here is another view of it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aziator, you said this is the MB for the 6.8 and 7.62, so they use a different break on the 5.56? Anyone have a pic of the 5.56 muzzlebreak if it's not the same?

XCR, the first pic looks like you painted your side rails to match your other green accessories, but on the second one it looks black (to me). Just curious which it is. I kinda like the black guns with the earth or green accessories, might have to go that route myself. I also really like that Tango stubby but it sounds like it was way too much trouble to install. So did you order the green VFG and then paint it because it didn't match your other green components? I've heard that if you order green or earth accessories from different companies they tend to be different tones and not go well together...NOT that that's important of course! After all, this aint my date to the prom! ;)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Aziator, you said this is the MB for the 6.8 and 7.62, so they use a different break on the 5.56? Anyone have a pic of the 5.56 muzzlebreak if it's not the same?

XCR, the first pic looks like you painted your side rails to match your other green accessories, but on the second one it looks black (to me). Just curious which it is. I kinda like the black guns with the earth or green accessories, might have to go that route myself. I also really like that Tango stubby but it sounds like it was way too much trouble to install. So did you order the green VFG and then paint it because it didn't match your other green components? I've heard that if you order green or earth accessories from different companies they tend to be different tones and not go well together...NOT that that's important of course! After all, this aint my date to the prom! ;)
Unless I'm mistaken the factory option is the regular A2 flash hider dealio which you can see on Terra's rifle below.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Those are the ODgreen rail protectors from Magpul. You're right about the VFG. I ordered it in the ODG and decided to DuraCoat it partly to have everything match but mostly because I used the Tactical Ultra Flat DuraCoat and the VFG was kind of shiny. The MIAD grip was black and I had the main part DuraCoated odg. The rail covers matched perfectly when they came in so there was no need to DuraCoat.

Here is a better picture of the furniture.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts