XCR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my xcr is almost broken in, i've been sighting in the ring sights and eotech. at 50 yards with a 25 yard pistol target i kept all 10 shots inside the 4 inch ring. I feel good about it, the black rings are about an inch and a half in diameter and almost dissapear when i look through the sights, im very pleased so far and have only had to miss feeds. I love this gun and cleanup is superb, even easier than an ak

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Are you shooting offhand or from the bench at 50 yards?

·
Registered
18 Posts
im very pleased so far and have only had to miss feeds.
???

That is pleasing? Were you using a known bad magazine? Poor quality reloads?

Anyhow that is great you like the gun. I hope to have one in the next couple weeks..... however I will not be happy at all if I get function problems with quality mags and ammo.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Keep practicing. At 50 yards you whould be able to hold 0.5" off a bag and 1" off hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm sure that i could hold a tighter group with a target designed for that distance, the black part on the target is smaller than the front sight post at 50 yards so it's hard to see where it is in relation, i'm going to purchase some rifle targets and see how much better i do. also the two missfeeds are out of 240 rounds, that's less than 1% and the gun still isn't technically broken in yet

·
Registered
18 Posts
also the two missfeeds are out of 240 rounds, that's less than 1% and the gun still isn't technically broken in yet
That cool, not trying to be a downer.... hopefully you just have a sketchy magazine. Just for reference I have 3 ARs and 2 M1As all bought new that have never had a single malfunction of any kind. I have 2 XD pistols, never a single malfunction. Just shook out a new handgun yesterday (Ruger LCP). 3 boxes of ammo and perfect function. Assuming I use good mags and appropriate ammo, which I always make an effort to do, I consider this normal for a properly builit firearm.

I know on this site there is an idea of a "break-in" period. "Break-in" is a good idea to verify a firearm doesn't malfunction before relying on it.... to prove that it wasn't fouled up in manfacture. Conversely it is the time to identify and pull a gun that does demonstrate function issues. I don't believe in the theory of "shooting off the rough edges" so that it will eventually become reliable.

Any gun, mag, and ammo combo that I have used in any gun that did malfunction, continued to be unreliable regardless of round count. In my experience, if a combination doesn't work at some point, it won't work at any point. Over the years I have wasted many hundreds of dollars of ammo through new problem guns waiting to pass a "wear-in period" only to have a problem persist. Now I try several mags, and try several types of ammo. If a problem can't be linked to a mag or ammo issue, the gun goes back to the factory.

It isn't normal for a maintained gun to malfunction unless something is dimensionally haywire. In my experience, most commonly the magazine was built wrong (normally too much space between the feed lips when welded together) or damaged (normally bent feed lips). I am big on measuring magazines with dial calipers. Once you have identified mags that work and those that don't, you can cull out other questionable mags based on their dimensions. Or there is a problem with the ammo, dimensional or otherwise, but these are comparatively few and far between.

I should get my XCR this month - I have high hopes, and expectations. Looks like a great rifle.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think RA is pretty clear and fair about breakin and how many rounds it takes.

That said, I took mine to the range and ran about 60 rounds through it. Not a single fail to feed or extract (see note), and I had dialed the gas valve back to 1 to see if that would stop the brass denting.

The one failure was with a round that had no powder in it. I had to drive the bullet back out. Interesting as it stuck in the end of the rod, and kept pulling itself back in, I would look for the bullet and not fine it. Pretty funny.

My brother who has a S&W AR liked it, thought the trigger was better. He is happy with the Smith (and I don't blame him, it shoot very well, nice quality gun). XCR apeals to me and we are both happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts