XCR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im thinking about buying a XCR to go along with my Ar-15. My question is this, If I put on a Acog TA01 on a plain jane XCR is my eye going to be close enough to the acog so i can see through it? With my Ar-15 i have to collapse the stock 5 positions down just to get within 1.5 inches of the Acog from my eye so i can see through it.

Thanks
-B

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I tried the TA01-NSN on my XCR and it worked fine. To me it works better on the standard XCR stock over the M4 stock because your cheek is on the soft foam part and not the tube.

But problem is cheek weld. It is about 3/4th of an inch higher than a standard M4 with M4 stock.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have an ACOG on my XCR and have no problem with the eye relief with the folding stock. There's plenty of rail even with a BUIS. The red dot that is mounted on top of the ACOG is a bit high however and requires me rotating the rifle maybe 30 deg ccw to get a good plant for it. It's a little strange but it works just fine.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The problem with an ACOG on an XCR is the higher height above bore.
"What bullet was used to calibrate the ACOG scopes?
The TA01, TA11, & TA31 (.223) were designed for the 5.56mm, 20 inch barrel, 55 grain bullet, and M16/AR15 carry handle mount. The TA01B & TA11C(.308) were designed for the 7.62mm, 20 inch barrel, 168 grain bullet, and M16/AR15 carry handle mount. The TA01NSN was designed specifically for the US Special Operations Command SOPMOD M4 Carbine. To meet their requirements, the reticle bullet drop compensator and range finding stadia lines were based on the trajectory of the 62 grain bullet from a 14.5 inch barrel, flattop mount (Picatinny rail Mil.Std.1913)."

I use a The TA01NSN on a 16" AR with 55 grain bullets and the 5.56 BDC is pretty much spot on. However, that scope was made for the flattop mount. So the height above bore is correct. Any difference in calibration is a result of ballistics.

However, the ACOG on the XCR rides higher, and therefore will not be capable of reproducing the same trajectories using a 100m zero.
"Does bullet weight and/or barrel length effect the reticle bullet drop compensator and range finding stadia lines?
The real issue is not the bullet weight or barrel length, but muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, and the distance from height above bore. The difference in trajectory from bullet to bullet or barrel to barrel is usually less then the MOA thickness of the stadia lines."

Just something worth thinking about. You might consider an ACOG without the BDC altogether, like the TA01LAW.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
So im thinking about buying a XCR to go along with my Ar-15. My question is this, If I put on a Acog TA01 on a plain jane XCR is my eye going to be close enough to the acog so i can see through it? With my Ar-15 i have to collapse the stock 5 positions down just to get within 1.5 inches of the Acog from my eye so i can see through it.

Thanks
-B
Not a problem. The only recommendation I would make is get a model with a fiber illumiated ret. The reason being is the TA01NSN sucks against low light and dark backgrounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts