XCR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has run into this issue, I recently got my Surefire RC2 fitted onto my 9.5" 5.56 XCR and have found that at the lowest reliable setting (1) still throws brass quite a bit further than it does when unsuppressed and running as low as it can reliably. Setting 0, which I've come to understand is essentially a gas cutoff(?) obviously wouldn't work, but if I could get a regulator with options in between whatever port size setting 1 and setting 0 are, that would make it easier to fine-tune my XCR when suppressed.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Without making your own, no. I've asked RA for undrilled dials before so that i could get some custom ports but they didn't play ball.

FWIW, the xcr flings brass pretty well even with a soft recoil impulse on an appropriate gas setting. With a can on, 20' is not uncommon. I had a 556 with a saker that was 50+. I've also found that some of the "0" settings will still allow enough gas to flow to cycle the action. Ymmv

·
Registered
23,091 Posts
You could potentially tig weld one of the holes up with the mildest steel rod you get then redrill the dial to a smaller size....but that's trial and error and would/could require cobalt or carbide drill bits to get through the weldment.

Reactions: GarandCumb

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Without making your own, no. I've asked RA for undrilled dials before so that i could get some custom ports but they didn't play ball.

FWIW, the xcr flings brass pretty well even with a soft recoil impulse on an appropriate gas setting. With a can on, 20' is not uncommon. I had a 556 with a saker that was 50+. I've also found that some of the "0" settings will still allow enough gas to flow to cycle the action. Ymmv
Hmm, maybe I'm a positive case, then. 0 doesn't cycle for me, and 1 throws cases roughly 15 feet. Still, unsuppressed, I had mine throwing cases roughly half of that. Oh well!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
My first type 3 gas setup had "0" work as a shutoff. No movement at all. Subsequent weren't all like that. RA has had some suffering port specs over the years.

Under 15' unsuppressed seems really weak. Most of my XCRs have very positive ejection.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I typically end up apologizing to people to my right on the firing line. The brass doesn’t hit them because it flies slightly forward, maybe 2 o clock. But it’s definitely flying in front of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts