XCR Forum banner

Aimpoint M4 with LaRue Mount

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Sloan441 
#1 ·
Has anyone had the Aimpoint M4 with the LaRue "Medium" Mount?

They say on their web site that this mount is "LT659-NV (Med. 1.535) for absolute-cowitness and compatibility with USGI night vision mounts".

I'm about to purchase this optic for my XCR SBR I have on order, and I'm not sure what height to get. Any Input on the mount height?

If I get the Tall Mount looks way too high for my liking, but it is compatable with their Aimpoint's 3X Magnifier pivot mount if I choose to get one later.

Ho there is too many choises!

See less See more
#2 ·
I think the medium mount is for use with KAC's RAS rail system.

I suspect the high mount is the one you want for an XCR. If Larue stated it is for use with the magnifier mount, then that's probably your boy. The few I've seen sit pretty high and are supposed to give a lower 1/3 co-witness. Larue M3 mounts sit pretty high as well, and there are lower versions for the RAS. Again, I suspect it's the same deal for the M4.

I need to look into this myself. I was horsing around with my XCR/M4 this weekend and I'm developing a dislike for the QRP. It works well enough, but 90 degree heat and sweaty hands made for some rather difficult dismount/remounts of the sight. I'm thinking the Larue lever would have been much easier to handle than the QRP knob.

#3 ·
LaRue actually list three mounts for the M4, listed:

This mount cantilevers the CompM4 forward to optimize the rail space on M1913 picatinny flattop receivers. The "Tall" mount aligns the CompM4 perfectly in front of the LT Pivot-Mounted Aimpoint 3XMagnifier, LT-Mounted PVS-14 and / or all BUIS units. The "Medium" mount provides absolute-cowitness and is compatible with other USGI-height mounts. The "Short" mount is the correct height for Piston Uppers, like the HK416.

Available in Three Heights:
LT659 (Tall, 1.725) for standard AR15 / M16 / M4 uppers
LT659-NV (Med. 1.535) for absolute-cowitness and compatibility with USGI night vision mounts
LT659-HK (Short 1.395) for HK 416, and piston uppers.

How does your standard mount, co-witness, in the center of the lens? Do you know the height to the center of it, and the height of your BUIS? (I'm not even sure where they measure from?). I tried talking to them about it but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about? It must be a language barrier or something ;D

#4 ·
The QRP isn't an exactly co-witness with my KAC (too many acronyms...) irons. However, it is close. The M4 dot doesn't sit right on the front post, but it's not far off.

This one may come down to personal preference. I actually like rather low-mounted optics. I do have a magnifier, though. It's not super critical that they line up precisely, but closer is better for field of view. Geez, where's my gun. I have to look at this...

Hmm, now I smell like Eezox and propellant. I'm not sure what to think about height. My Larue tipoff sits slightly higher than the M4 with the QRP. There's a fly in the ointment in that I use a Hensoldt magnifier and it's a 1" tube, so it has plastic spacers in the tipoff. This means it would sit a touch lower than an Aimpoint 30mm magnifier. The QRP has a .25" spacer. I can't find my dial calipers, but a rough measurement of the QRP to the centerline of the M4 is 1.5625". That's pretty close to the medium mount. The centerline of the Hensoldt in the pivot-mount is 1.6875"--pretty close to the tall height. So, I'd say if you're going with the pivot, tall is your best shot--unless you have a Hensoldt, then the medium would be near dead on. Frankly, I can't see any real issue with the QRP and the tall pivot. They line up well enough as it is.

I hope a Larue dealer is at Knob next week. I'll definately check these things out if I see any there. If I had to make the call now, I guess I'd go with the tall M4 mount just because of the magnifier. If I weren't going to use the magnifier, then I guess I'd be perfectly happy with the medium. I think you'll just have to make a call whether you want lower 1/3 co-witness or absolute co-witness.

#5 ·
Sloan,

Thank you very much for going through all that for me and gun oil. I kinda like the smell myself, and was wondering if they made an aftershave with that scent ::)

I was planning a trip to Knob Creek but I couldn't get away. Ho well, hopefully some people going will take lots of pics and video, and share them on here ;D

I do appreciate your advise and time. Take care.

#7 ·
I don't know what it is with oddly scented gunoils/cleaners. I use Ballistol as well, and it's unique, to put it mildly (my Microtech Lightfoot smells like licorice). This always reminds me of Ouzo and Jaegermeister, and the epic hangovers both tend to bless you with.

KCR (more acronyms...) is pretty strict on images taken on the range itself. I'm tempted to take my digital camera, but I don't recall their exact restrictions--mainly because I've never cared before. I usually go at least once a year and it's all old hat now. /jaded

Hopefully, some entertaining Larue and Magpul goodies are there. That's the fun part of the Friday gunshow for me. You simply never know what you might run across there. Last Oct. I went down looking for optics and came home with an oddball Bauchop knife. You just never know!

Ahh, price. It ain't cheap. Roughly equivalent, if you include the magnifier. Last I looked, Larue was selling M4 packages with their mount for $702. The pivot-mount is $140. The magnifier...ummm, well, the Hensoldt was essentially something like $35. It was part of yet another Larue package. I don't know if they have any left. An Aimpoint magnifier is about $480.

#9 ·
I called LaRue today to order the QD pivot mount LT649. I had heard someone else that they had an Eotech mounted on the GG&G riser and with that they were the same height. I called Larue and told them I was using the Eotech 553 with built in mount and did they have a pivot mount that would sit a little lower and line up better with my 553. They apperently have one but it isn't listed on the website. I will let you guys know how it works when i get out there and shoot it.

#10 ·
Well,

with my SBR XCR on the road to it's new home, I took the plunge and ordered the Aimpoint M4 with the standard mount. With this firearms being set up for CQB I considered the alternatives and came up with this option that bests suits me. Hell I can turn it on and leave it on without having to worry about battery life. I thought long and hard about what mounting system I was going to use and decided that once the Aimpoint is mounted it will probably stay mounted so the standard QRP2 mount will do me just fine, at least in the short term. I will have to see what mounting heights the M4 is set up with so that I can add the magnifier on down the road.

I ordered mine from Tate Defense of CA: http://www.tatedefense.com/aimpointcompm4.html.

It was $600.00, and that's less than I could have got it for as a dealer at all my distributors.

When it arrives on monday and is set up, I will attempt my hand at some photography, with inspiration from Prizm and his fantastic works of art :thanks:

Be Safe!

#11 ·
That is a pretty good price and a fine optic that you ordered. I am partial to Eotech but I think it is like trying to decide which HD Diesel truck to buy...all three "big" automakers make good ones, and when you pay that much for something you are going to get something good. Just comes down to what you like. I should be getting a package from Larue this week...I am excited.

#14 ·
If you keep the QRP mount, locktite the screws in it. That's the main issue with it, though I never had any problems with mine. However, mine didn't go through any carbine classes either.

I've heard a lot of pissing and moaning over the QRP, but most of it is just the usual internet BS. The only thing I really didn't care for in the mount was the QD knob looks, feels, and sits very close to the XCR's charging handle. I'd rather not have that protrusion that close to the handle. No such worries with the Larue mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.