XCR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out girls and guys. One of the members over at AR15.com wanted me to post this here. If you click down at the link at the bottom of my post, you can read the entire thread, which is up to 7 pages right now. The member by screen name of Charging Handle has proposed trying to get ALL the gun forums together to exchange information, keeping everyone abreast of pending legislation, and responding as a group. If you remember, the gun community got Zumbo dropped like a hot potato within a day for his "terrorist guns" comments. Plus Cooper Arms CEO just crashed and burned due to his contributing money to Obama. This 'project' is just a couple days old. He is trying to get some type of forum up soon. Is a work in progress. Remember as gun owners, we MUST stand together.

Oh, and if you have had a beef with AR15.com in the past, you gotta put it behind you and at least come together for a common goal. Preserve our RKBA.

Here is his post:

Enough whining! Enough whimpering! Enough rolling over and simply giving up! Neither of those things are going to get us anywhere. But diligence and planning can.

Here is another suggestion for how we should organize to fight any new anti-gun legislation:

First and foremost, we must be highly organized. That doesn't mean just this forum. It means we all have to work to ensure that all firearms forums are interconnected and be capable of working together and sharing news if and when that becomes necessary. Obviously, this will largely fall to the site staff. But everyone can help. But to launch an effective counter-effort against the antis, this needs to be done.

How will this be beneficial? News travels fast online. The better networked we are with other like-minded people, the faster we can react to any new legislation that is introduced. But more importantly, by getting as many gun owner groups linked together as possible, it will allow us to develop and implement a particular and well focused strategy, then carry out that strategy. Without that sort of networking, everyone is just running around doing their own thing with no knowledge of what other groups may be doing. It makes any effort far less organized and far less focused.

Imagine if all the firearms boards devoted to AR rifles, AK rifles, M1As, FALs, H&K, Sig, Glock, Smith and Wesson, Ruger, and all other brands and types of semi-auto magazine fed weapons, had a sort of "panel" made up by staff from each of the individual forums to determine what actions to take, where to focus those actions and how to carry them out. It would make our efforts 100x more effective.

Imagine for just a moment that we needed to counter something in the Senate. Imagine how effective it might be if all the boards were connected, agreed on a letter writing campaign to Harry Reid, agreed on the general tone of what the letters should be (maybe even share examples), and contained a time line for when to send them. Rather than letters being sent a few here and few there to dozens or hundreds of people, you could have thousands upon thousands arrive in his congressional mailbox on the same day. See how much more powerful that message would be?

Being organized is the most critical element to winning our future battles. Rather than being like a bunch of independent little islands scattered all across a vast ocean going their separate way, we need to unite into a tightly connected network that shares info, resources, ideas, develops strategies and put into action plans to stop the gun grabbers.

I would highly encourage the site staff here to reach out to the owners and staff of other firearms forums (as well as all pro-gun organizations for that matter) and form a panel made up from key people with each group to head and direct such efforts. It doesn't even have to be anything overly formal. A simple forum where representatives from all groups can meet and plan would be sufficient. Those representatives could then brief their individual forum members about anything requiring attention. It needs to be done right now. Planning needs to start right now. Everything needs to be in place before any anti-2A legislation ever hits the floor. That way, if and when it happens, we can call up said network, pull out the proper battle plan for whatever situation we are needing to deal with and start an effective effort immediately to counter it. This will save time, it will pool resources, it will give us better command and control to steal a military term, it will allow us to better focus our efforts and it will make our voice 100x louder. Think of it as the NATO of gun owners. Any single European nation would have folded almost immediately if the Soviets had invaded during the Cold War. But with all of them and the US working closely together, the Soviets were never able to get that chance. We must do likewise when facing the gun banners. Alone we are piss ants. But together, we are millions of pissed off motherfuckers who can and will be heard.

Simply put, it is time for all pro-gun websites, forums and organizations to join forces in a highly networked community. Since this forum is one of the largest and most influential gun forums on the web (with over 130,000 members here alone), why not we be the one to lay the groundwork to start this effort? As they say, "if you build it, they will come."

And one final suggestion and question: Does the site staff have the ability to send mass PMs or emails to members? Lots of people on these forums never set foot into GD or the Politics forum. Many (and I am included) log straight into the actual forums and never look at the front page. So many people miss lots of important news. By having such a system in place, the site staff could rapidly alert every swinging dick that belongs to this forum of developing situations that require their attention and direct them in a unified manner on how to react to that situation.

Again, maybe I have spent too much time involved with firefighting and emergency management. But I see effective communication and partnership with outside agencies (or in this case, other gun nuts) critical to dealing with any major challenge that requires a unified response. Therefore I would love to see us start networking with other forums and pro gun groups as quickly as possible. It could mean the difference between preserving our 2A rights and political defeat.

Does anyone else like this idea? Does anyone have additional ideas that could be added? And for the site staff, how feasible are my ideas? I am so tired of all the hand-wringing and fear being displayed on this forum. I feel we could put those energies to much better use by being proactive and taking efforts to make sure a new ban doesn't happen, rather than running around screaming the sky if falling.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=784480

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Sounds ike a simple enough plan.

I'll support it, so long as the agenda is clear and just.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I am going to sorta be an 'in-between' here on this forum just to stir interest. I envision this will be some sort of separate forum that hopefully will have all the other forums linked together. I am at work right now so really can't do much, but after this weekend, hopefully we will have more info as this materializes and comes together.

I approached a moderator on another forum last night, he suggested/warned that it may put us on some sort of 'watch list'. Seems plausable to me, but hey, if we keep it clean, and the goal/intent is clear, I don't see where we can go wrong. It is just to share info/RKBA threats/networking etc.

More to come....
Captain92

·
Registered
923 Posts
I will support it as long as it stays on task and does not get sidetracked on topics that are not likely to happen, but focuses on are primary threats to the 2nd Amendment

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I am in and am even willing to contribue. But first thing first, can you get Arfcom to get me back in? As well as XDtalk, and Calguns :D

Sometimes I think gun guys get whats coming to them. They all seem to hate each other and they are quick to ban someone for a little disagreement just as like the Obama anti gun folks are quick to grab our guns. I shoot, reload, and love guns. But somehow I get banned from all these forums. I could easily change SN and go back in, but really, I see no point.

I am a Veteran, Gulf War I paticapant, credit score of 800, no felonies, college graduate, home owner, and a general contributer to society, oh did I mention I love to collect, shoot, reload, and talk about guns?... But yet all these gun forums are quick to ban me because one of the ultra sensitive mod gets butt hurt over an internet argument. I don't have problems with any of the forums but they sure they have a problem with me. Once they realize they can't intelligently argue with Cartmann than the next step is to boot him out.

Calguns: I donated $100 to the Matt Corwin defense funds on Calguns then about 3 months later I get booted from there fore saying Dolphins were not people and making fun of LA SWAT. Ofcourse I got in an argument with a mod so ofcourse I am out.

XDTalk: Team member and contributed to $$ to this forum too. Ofcouse I got into it with a SWAT guy who happens to be friends with a mod, so I got booted from there too ;)

Arfcom: Many arguments but I stuck it through. I contribued $$ and was a Team member for 2 years. Then one day that fool 82nd Airborne decides to ban me because I said th FAL was the greatest battle rifle of all time.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I agree with organizing, no sense in working the problem haphazardly.

But I also have to agree with Cartman here a little. There's a lot of chuckleheads on those forums that couldn't lead there way out of a wet paper sack and most don't even own the firearms they 'worship' as referenced by the many, many "Which one should I get..." or "When I get mine..." threads. I too am a veteran, from former Yugo to Iraq, and was a small arms repairman for the last several years of my career. Whenever I speak up about "the way it really is" with gov't small arms issues I get warned and put on probation by folks who have read a lot of gun rags and never stepped up to the line.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since this idea is in it's infancy, I mean literally only about a two-day old idea, I gotta wait to see what the original poster has in mind. What it looks like is some type of independent forum...not sure yet. I had to read messages today in between taking care of patients and getting my work done. Will hopefully know more in a day or few...and will definitely keep everyone up to speed here. I am pleased so far at the folks who have read this post and expressed interest.

As far as banned memberships etc. I COMPLETELY understand about that. I am not sure if you would even have to be a member there or not as this is supposedly something that would be independent of all forums. I just don't know.

Thanks for reading and you guys support thus far..hopefully something can get off the ground. Will let all know.

Captain

·
Registered
194 Posts
I will support a grassroots forum based effort, however, I think the Dems feel they have been given a mandate to recreate American society in their vision and they will use the past week's election outcome to rationalize a ban of any type as the peoples' wishes.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I am all for organizing the masses, that seems to be the only way. In Gerogia we have seen massive improvements in our Right to Carry laws just in the 12-18 months that Georgiacarry.org has been in exsistence. It is amazing what a grass roots organization can do.

Cartman, I agree with you on the mods at the other forums. 82nd airborne sounds like a tool. he booted one of my buddies recently that is active duty, tour in Iraq with the 82nd, over some stupid argument.

I am still not sure why people think they can boot people for disagreeing, sounds like politicians to me. you don;t agree with me so off with your head...whatever.

As long as the place stays on track I would support but as Red said, how is this going to be different than what the NRA is already doing?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some more info thrown out by the brainchild of this idea:

quote:

"You definitely have the whole concept behind this nailed. That is exactly how we plan to operate. By designating key people from each forum or group to be the point of contact, once news, info or alerts need to be passed along, it can be sent straight to them. Then in turn, each contact person will be responsible for posting that info to the group. It is very simple and straightforward and I don't foresee any major difficulties as long as we maintain the "simplicity" aspect of this all. Basically what it will amount to is receiving a message that is already prepared and ready to share, copying/pasting it, then posting it in a high visibility area of the various forums, or through mass email/IM. It doesn't get much more simple than that. Our organization as a whole will be responsible for the actual information gathering. That way no one group will have to do a lot of work on this. Our project volunteers will handle the heavy lifting."

"I've created this website GunRightsActivism.com, which is in the 'framework' stages right now, but I have some great ideas for information sharing tools to build. Along with this, I have created user-manageable (subscribe/unsubscribe) mailing lists on my list server for both the nation and each of the 50 states. Once I get the web-page built, people will be able to join the national list and the list for their individual state. This will give people the ability to reach out quickly to the community when something needs to happen fast on a local or even national level."

ETA: info sent to Lex regarding this effort since his word is the final say on this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
ETA: info sent to Lex regarding this effort since his word is the final say on this forum.
Sounds like all you'll be doing is posting new threads in the Politics section. I see no problems with this.

Hopefully the volume doesn't get too much. I'd rather see fewer but more informative threads than a new thread everyday about single items.

Maybe a new thread per week with all of the things that are going on that week.

But I'll wait until this project gets into motion before saying what I think about it.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
So how does this new movement propose to be different from the NRA?
Sounds to me like these efforts will be pro-gun.
Which makes it different than nra efforts, which are strictly pro-nra.

Any similarities between pro-nra and pro-gun, are purely coincidental.

·
Registered
448 Posts
captain92,

I totally agree and applaud what you are trying to do. Heck I'll back you 100%, but as Eric said, that ARFKKOM BS, who kisses who's ass, who gets booted because a mod doesn't like you, or the mods buddies, team membership BS, etc. is a huge obstacle. ARFKKOM appears to be #2 in numbers but definitely is low echelon gun forum as far as respect and reputation goes. Oh, BTW I didn't just piss off a lowly mod but lucious Ed Avila himself. I even asked why an all out boot w/o warning, but it is what it is and I wasn't at all surprised for the boot. I stick to my guns. I know what I did but it also a lot of shit like that that will continue to shoot ourselves in the foot. ARFKKOM doesn't want gun nuts who come together and share thought and opinions. Yeah some will get their delicate feelings hurt but how they play the BS politics will keep the best away from that site.

If you can convince Ed Avila not to be a total jerk and try to think like a leader then maybe it might work.

·
Registered
503 Posts
So how does this new movement propose to be different from the NRA?
I don't know enough about the NRA to respond to this-but the NRA is the first thing that popped into my mind reading the initial idea. The NRA is already a well recognized name that has been fighting for gun rights (among other things?). I'm not for changing any current laws-however I am a firm believer that we do need to protect our right to bear arms. After 4 tours in Iraq and securing the beaches in Africa when JTFHOA was still an itch in the nation's crotch, I'm going to have a thing to say before I'm told I can't have a semi auto rifle to protect my home, and homeland. That being said-if it gets stupid, we will get put on a watch list, those of us working for local/state/federal governments are highlighted. That was also put up in another post and a very legitimate point.

So to move from idea to planning...

If members of this forum do want to sign for petitions-could we put a default on the website that a member can pre-sign any anti-gun legislation petitions? My case and maybe that of others in here is that I can be online for weeks non stop, then all of a sudden I may be in a third world country for a month. Of course having a disclosure on what those signatures could be used for should be required to ensure that the individual isn't signing to allow Osama's son to move in next door, but you get the point. The volunteering liaison could ensure that information is kept up to date with other forums and provide the necessary information both up and down the chain.

Bottom line-it looks like our new democracy is going to be making radical changes FAST. Going back to my first sentence, the NRA. Their voice is huge. Perhaps there would be time to see if they would accept the provided signatures to add as endorsement for specific petitions? My current way of petitioning is calling my local congressman, but the louder we speak out, the more clear the message will be.

I hope this isn't a bunch of rambling-I am new to the whole 'gun law' thing and our method of gun control is slightly more liberal overseas. If setting up a pre-sign for a petition against any change in gun laws makes sense, then we should probably get started soon.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So far what is happening is this is going to be a forum SEPARATE from AR15.com. Something like a grassfire organization that hopefully will be linked to all the forums. This is an idea that one of the members came up with separate from the mods on AR15. I TOTALLY understand about the banning BS that goes on/went on etc over there. I am a member on several different forums, have heard the same from numerous members over the years.

The originator of the idea is brainstorming as we speak, the main idea is only to link us together from mass communication/email/alerts as a grassroots group (meaning ALL the gun owners we can reach).

Everyone knows how the 'O' campaign had mass email/text communication at the GROUND/WEB level, this is what they want to do, just so we can all link together on issues, all the forums together at once to respond in a Zumbo fashion to legislation/grassroots defense of the RKBA.

You know, yea, the libotards may do what they want anyways, and probably will, but I am going to go down fighting. We give our $25-35 a year to NRA and other organizations and say we have done our part...I AM GUILTY....have done it plenty of times over the years. These organizations are the heavy artillery in our fight for the RKBA, we as a collective group on the ground are the infantry...this idea is a way for OUR voices to be heard.

Oh, and terrorist hunter, I just read your post. That is an excellent idea! This is what is going on over there with these guys trying to get things together, brainstorming, ideas etc. WE NEED gun owners to present ideas just as you have as this gets going.
Be safe, stay in touch here and I will run your idea by the folks starting this up.

As I get more info, I will continue to post it here, then when things are up and running, will run it all by Lex.

Thanks everyone.
Erik

1 - 18 of 18 Posts