XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've had my XCR for a couple of months but just recently been able to go to the range - I put about 300 rounds (Winchester and PMR 223) and my girl locked up tighter than a virgin on prom night ! I cleaned and lubed her prior to the range so I'm not sure WTF ? The range officer had to come over cause I couldn't even move the charging handle and I had a live round in the chamber - we were able to get it open with a soft mallet and the range officer said it may be gunk build up in the chamber so I took it home and cleaned every part (including the chamber) like i was getting ready for inspection - I haven't had a chance to take it back to the range but I hope to soon .... I didn't see any huge build up of carbon in the chamber so I'm not sure if this is fixed - anyone else have any issues like this ? I'm a gov contractor who TDY's to the middle east 6 months a year so I'm very farmiliar with the issues with fouling on the M4 but I thought that since this is piston operated, I wouldn't have to be so diligent (lazy is my middle name) with cleaning - any info from those more experienced would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gas setting maxed out .. during a break-in period, I could understand a FTE or a "stove pipe" but to have the bolt jam itself closed and not being able to move it or clear the chamber by pulling the charging handle to the rear is a bit extreme - I think I may have something else going on here.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've been dealing with this issue. I thought I could keep the rifle very well lubed and work through it, but that has not always worked. Alex has asked that I send the upper in, so that is the plan. (Hi Terra!, it was my email)

What's the serial number? Roughly ;D Off the top of my head I'm somewhere in the 1850 - 1900 range, HBAR.

My issue happens more frequently than once in 300 rounds, so you might be in better shape. I'd lube it well and shoot it some more, keeping it on 4 for a while longer. See if the cases are always ejecting the same distance each shot. I have 15' for most, but not always. A 1-3' will sneak in there.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I had two rounds stick in the chamber to wear I could not get the bolt back by hand during the break in period. I had to tap with a rubber mallet to get it open. I never did figure out the cause but I was using wolf to break it in. At 280 I could notice a difference and then at 300 it was like a switch was flipped.

Since then it has been super reliable. Heck I even fed it a couple of rounds of wolf that had been out in the weather for a couple of weeks and had some surface rust on them. The fed, fired and ejected. I know I should not have done it but I was curious.

I'd give it a good cleaning and make sure everything is tight and oiled properly and shoot another 100 rounds. If it isn't smooth and working great by then I would start looking at things again or give RA a call.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have XCR #750 ... I'll use a bit extra oil and run some more rounds through her - I just wanted to check with everyone to make sure that I didn't miss some type of recall or something - I'll keep an eye on it and get with RA if it becomes a reoccuring issue - thanks to all for the advice / info.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Tony, I had one of those with 6.8 the first time I shot it. Turned out to be a little piece of brass that sheared off the case and got stuck between the extractor claw and the bolt face. Pulled the bolt, cleaned it off and has been fine since.

You may want to check the Barrel bolt just to make sure it is snugged down tight. My gun (and my friends) wre pretty good about having lots of brass inside the chamber during break in. Once I passed 300 or so rounds I didn't have any issues. I would say to give it a good cleaning, lubing then shoot some more. If it isn't resolved give them a call and they can help you out.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You know, now that I thnk about it, my buddy's XCR has done that exact same thing a couple of times. Just locked up completely then we'd have to hit it on a table or something to free it up. I don't know what his serial number is but I'll find out. He didn't buy his too long after mine. I've never had this happen, personally and I've shot tons of different ammo in it. My serial number is between 1000 and 1100.

His stoppages are rare. 3 days of carbine class and not one issue. But I know it's happened at the range.

·
Registered
347 Posts
This problem is not XCR specific. I have had it happen to me on an SA58 tactical carbine and that has a completely different means of lockup. I strongly suspect it has to do with gas setting, ammo, and a dirty rifle.

As far as the S/N thing, my first XCR is in the low 300's, and it was purchased summer 06. My second XCR is in the high 200's and it was purchased fall 06. My most recent XCR was purchased late last summer and it is in the low 1000's. On the day that I bought it the same dealer had another XCR with a mid 500's serial number.

Is there some secret code that will let us know when our rifles were made, other than if they have the new gasblock?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Definitely not limited to the XCR. When it happens on an AR it is far worse to clear due to the design of the stock and charging handle. I had one in my .308 Ar and ended up bending the buffer tube. On another AR I had to take a hammer and wooden dowel to the notch in the carrier to get it back.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Jack, that's good advice.

Being an old military guy, I never had it happen in the limited time when I was carrying M1s around. The few sticks I had with the XCR while breaking it in were always cleared by slapping on the charging handle just like we did going to "inspect arms", but if it happens again I'm now armed (pardon the pun) with a better technique.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Jack,

I don't disagree with you but that is the method that bent the buffer tube on my AR and still didn't get it cleared. I keep a 12 inch long 1/2 inch wooden dowel in my range box and put it in the dust cover notch of the bolt carrier and give it a few taps while the butt of the gun is against something solid and the muzzle in a safe direction. It works without doing any damage to the gun. If the dowel gets deformed, I get another piece. This way nothing should damage the gun.

I've tried the other method and felt that the charging handle was going to break on an AR. The buffer tube and the charging handle are the worst two features of an AR in my opinion for these reasons. They just aren't strong enough to clear a really stuck cartridge.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was taught the Pogo method as Jack has suggest. I have only one occasion to use this method and it worked as advertised.

1. Rasie the rifle, while holding the charging handle

2. Bring rifle down while holding the charging handle

The momentum will cause the bolt to move rearward, repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was told that the serial numbers have nothing to do with when the gun was manufactured :dontknow:

My 1st XCR was purchased in July and the Serial # is XL015xx And my New XCR purchased in November is Serial number XL014xx .

That indicates that the serial numbers don't tell the story.That just tells me they grab the Lowers and build as they need them with no particular order or feature set.

My AR Jammed like that and I was told to mortar it....same technique.

collapse stock hold charging handle and slam butt stock on ground (lawn or soft dirt )

The stuck round flies right out....genius ;D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts