XCR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. This question applies to multiple calibers hence why it is over here. Now for those of us who enjoy shooting but weep at the thought of having to buy more ammo ($$$), I'm hoping to compile advice from the experience of this forum. I will soon have an XCR in 5.56 and a kit in 7.62. I will primarily practice with 7.62 since it is cheaper, but I also want to buy some decent 5.56 for longer distance and more accurate shooting. I'm hoping for advice on good solid brands that will get the job done without breaking the bank. I've seen $100 difference between wolf 5.56 and PMC 5.56 for 1000 rds. I'm trying to learn about ammo but all I ever come across are flame wars about whose ammo is better. So any and all advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Prvi has 69gr and 75gr loads are decent but are better priced than Rem, BH and the like. Check Wideners.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Black Hills is the best target ammo I have shot but it definitaly will break the bank. I f you are looking at decent long range accuracy it might be worth looking at some 223 hunting ammo, especially what the people who hunt coyotes and prairie dogs use for long range shots.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Load your own, with prices where they are you'll save a bundle.

·
Registered
449 Posts
For 5.56, for your mix of cost and accuracy I would suggest getting into reloading.

Buy your first, say 500, of good quality loaded commercial ammunition as the brass will last longer and serve as the kick off point.

A good starting idea for your requirements can be read here.

For the New Reloader: Thinking about Reloading; Equipment Basics

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238214

Questions on Costs of handloading. PLEASE READ -Updated Apr 22

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=18835

Oh, basic rule of thumb for the XCR, don't shoot smaller than 55gr or larger than 75gr,

Less than 55gr and the barrel twist will rip the bullet apart
Greater than 75 and you either REALLY compress the propellant (possible Ka-Boom) or you cannot load from a magazine due to the overall length being to great

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reloading sounds like the best way to go, but I have nowhere to keep the equipment. So for now I have to stick with buying factory stuff.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
See if you can hook up with a friend at a range and use their rig for loading. It's so much cheaper then buying.

·
Registered
449 Posts
TaylorMP

Depending on how much ammo you realistically expect to load you can get a kit quite literally small enough to store in a large shoe box.

An example could be the Lee hand press kit, good for about 50-70 rounds an hour

For the next step up there's the single stage press, good for up to about 75 rounds and hour

Then there's the turret, a semi-progressive good for 100-125+ rounds an hour

Each of these can be mounted and unmounted and stored away in a couple of minutes.

When I started out with the turret, I cut out a piece of scrap wood 6" x 4" x 1", drilled and counter-sunk 3 holes for the mounting bolts and got 2 small wood clamps so I could mount it to the dining room table without leaving a mark. Took me 5 minutes to set up and that included going down to the basement to pick it up...... ;)

A bucket of cases, a bag of bullets, a pound of powder, a tray of primers and suddenly there's 250 rounds.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought the Lee Classic Turret kit from Cabelas. I have never reloaded before but have been wanting to for awhile. I read some good press about it and it seemed like a good kit for someone getting into reloading. Now I need to get a bench, dies, powder, manuals, etc. Hey wait a minute...I thought this was going to be cheaper than buying factory loads! Oh well, it should be fun and a bit therapeutic.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
As far as reloading and being cheaper, it's in how you look at it. You still spend the same amount on your components but in the end you get to shoot more. If you load specialty bullets for hunting or matches you'll save against factory loaded but, still, you end up spending the same amount to load enough for the season. Then of course, the value of your time to do it.

I reload everything I shoot. Buying factory ammo for me is an rarity.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I even buy Winchester Rangers, strip the bullets and put my prefered charge in.

·
Registered
568 Posts
http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/ Is a good information resource.

My experience with hand loading is that I don't save money, I shoot a lot more for the same price.
When I find the components I like I watch for close outs and bulk specials then get together with a buddy to split costs.
I can load 5.56 for as little as 15 cents a round.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts