XCR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you guys familiar with this stuff?
http://www.drtammo.com/

If it's effective it might not be a bad choice for a home-defense round: Good stopping power, but less likely to penetrate a bunch of walls.

Second question: What are your best sources of .308 reloading components? No matter how I figure it, it looks like it will cost me about 42 cents per round using new cases. But there's some good German surplus on the market for that price, so unless I can find some way of trimming the cost, it makes as much sense to get my brass from the surplus.

However I found a source for once-fire .308 military brass -- 10 cents a case for 1,000 cases. Any trouble with using cases fired through a machinegun? Probably a little harder to resize, but any other reasons?

thanks

·
Registered
874 Posts
Never heard of it but from the looks of their page they take pride in their product and should be pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have heard of it but it was in Cheaper Then Dirt

G

·
it's frangible ammo. Almost all frangible ammo is the same terminally. they come apart too soon and fail to penetrate deep enough to reliably destroy vital organs.

Call it by another name and make claims that it's the best in the world, but it's still the same old tire bullshit story. same kinda thing the "blended metal" bullets were claiming when they got shot down in flames. A pig is a pig no matter how you market it.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
With MG fired brass you'll usually end up losing a higher percentage from culling out bad cases. The brass will get worked a little more on that initial sizing which will translate to a few less loadings down the road, but I use it all the time and don't have any problems with it.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Machine guns have looser chambers so the brass life isn't as good. Other than that go for it. If you only shoot one .308 consider resizing it and from then on just resize the neck. That will stretch the life of the brass somewhat.

Whenever comparing reloading to susplus, make sure you figure in apples for apples. Surplus tends to be 145-147g tips and not that consistent bullet to bullet, because more surplus .308 of the last 20 years was intended for machne gun use, not precision rifle.

There are a few places that sell .308 once fired brass, such as weideners. Weideners also sell some milspec 168g tips that are quite consistent and an alternative to lower weight ball tips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts