XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have heard about AmmoDaily.com from a thread on ar15.com. I can't find the thread so here is a quick summary.

A while ago (4 months?) I started a project to build a website that would automatically scour the internet for ammo prices and put them all in one easily searchable database. When I started the project I actually reverse engineering the shipping algorithms used by the different stores, etc. It was pretty cool but I was having a lot of problems with getting the weights for the shipment calculation. Few online stores say how much their stuff weighs... Anyways, to make a long story short I was using the shipping weights listed on midwayusa.com and the ISP of midwayusa.com banned me because of the heavy traffic I was creating to their store (at least that's my guess). A few weeks ago it appears that I have been unbanned.

After a hiatus of several months I'm slowing picking up this project again. This time I've decided to not worry about the shipping costs (at least not initially). So right now I'm just going to work on the webcrawlers and get as many stores as I possibly can and just list the prices without the shipping costs. I think this will be better than nothing. Eventually I will add shipping.

Anyways, I uploaded a new version today to get the ball rolling: http://www.ammodaily.com

The up/down arrows don't work, but the store and manufacturere drop downs should work. To see the ammo click on the price/round price.

I will use this thread to post updates as I make progress on the app...

It'll probably be slow going so don't hold your breath, but I think it's already very useable.

8)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Lex, You are my damn HERO!!! I was going to order out some ammo and your program just saved me a bundle. Thanks again. Jack

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Thanks for doing all the work, looks like a good tool.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys, I haven't been able to update it in a while. I made some database changes and before I can finish I had some work-work come up that I had to do.

I haven't forgotten about this site, it's just a matter of trying to find time to get it done. But I plan to make time for it soon, this or next month.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Don't you hate it when that "work" thing gets in the way of the real work? :duh:

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm working on ammodaily.com tonight and I'll add the caliber.

I really need to get my butt in gear, too much slacking! I've been working on ammodaily.com for almost 6 months now, I think this is like the third or fourth rewrite of the code.

I think I've gotten the hang of it now and should start to be making more progress more consistently (the problem with rewrites is that they usually set you back by a month where you start essentially from scratch).

Anways, back to work for me! 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
WOW this Forum just keeps getting better VERY glad i joined. Lex I bow to you :bow:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I looked for the 6.5, but it wasn't on the list. Thanks Lex, we can use all the help you can provide. :deadhorse:

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Please note: I have not updated that in a very long time. Sorry.

Every time I start working on it I get sidetracked by something else.

I did make it my New Year resolution to finish that project, so there is a chance it'll get done... soon. ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts