XCR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an XCR from a guy on the forum that was selling it unfired here in FL. It has the old gas block, so I guess it is almost a year old or so, number 1293 or so I think.

Anyway I put some mobil one oil on some parts like people suggested, then used Break Free CLP, since that is all I could find at my local Gander Mountain. I shot 400 rounds of white box Winchester 5.56 ammo and the only problem I had was 3 cases got stuck on ejection. A new round actually got pushed into the chamber, but the 3 rounds got hung up or something in the opening. That happened on the first 100 to 200 rounds. After that there were zero problems. Took me about an hour with only a few stoppages at the range for new people to put up new targets. I lubed it a few times during the shooting, but when ever I opened up the rifle and looked in on the bolt and other parts, everything still had lube all over it and oil was dripping out of the rifle. By the time I was done, the barrel and the gas block were so hot that any water dropped on them turned to steam instantly.

The range master said he had seen one or two other XCR's at the range before and a few of the guys were interested when I told them it was piston driven and they saw me touching the bolt and rod with my bare hands, and while it was hot to the touch, it was not burning my hand. Then they were VERY interested when I told them I could change calibers by just changing the barrel and the bolt.

So all in all a pretty good day, I am just missing the $300 or so I spent on ammo, but that is done now and all I have to do is order the spare parts, the new gas block, the new trigger when that comes out, and the 3 caliber conversions (especially the 7.62x39 for the cheaper range days).

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Nice report. Don't wait for the new trigger. Just box it up and send it to Bill with a money order for $49.00, which includes return shipping. Read the trigger posts and you will realize it's the best $49 you ever spent. :2cents: ;D

Bill Springfield can be contacted at [email protected] P.S. He does other trigger jobs too (i.e. AR, FAL, etc).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems like almost everyone else here has had him do their triggers, so I will probably get mine done for now and then get the RA one later to compare them.

The factory trigger started out with I guess it is called a two stage, I could pull it a little bit and feel a little stop to it, and then pull through and shoot. But by the 400th round there is no longer that little stopping point. But the trigger is not that bad I don't mind it, but if you are used to light trigger pull I understand why you want to fix it.

I had a trigger job done on my SKS, and I got an adjustable trigger for my M44 mosin nagant I use for pig hunting and while they are not like my friends Thompson Center Encore, they are a lot less pull than the average rifle.

But all in all I have been reading this message board for almost a year and wanting the XCR from the first moment I knew it existed and what it could do. I am almost glad that the military snubbed them because this way Robinson didn't have to sell out to a big company. I like to think of it like Apple versus PC, as I type this from my Mac book pro. I love Steve Jobs because he makes the products the way he wants them and if don't like it then don't buy it, kind of like Robinson. But people do buy it because of the quality and the use of the product, like Robinson.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Hey BML, You get Bill to do your trigger and you WON'T NEED an "improved" trigger from ROBARMS. :2cents: P.S. A bit of Trivia..... bet you didn't know your Mosin Nagant 1944s sites were calibrated with the Folding Bayonette in the extended position. With the bayonet folded the impact will be different. Sited using 147gr bullet as intended. 8)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
BML, thanks for the report and welcome to the forum. You think people were interested when you told them you could change calibers, try actually changing calibers for them, it usually blows their mind.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Damn Aziator, You got that right. Imagine at the range... "Hey Fred got anymore .223?..... nevermind I've still still got 5 boxes of 6.8 (while changing barrels) naw think I'll go 7.62x39 (switch barrels after the 6.8 was done) as I need to shoot 500 rounds that's old." >:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gunner69

I had heard that about the mosin M44. But I cut the bayonet lug off, and ground it down, then put the rifle in a ATI stock. So it is set up as my little back woods pig rifle. It shoots pretty straight, or at least straight enough for me.

I also have a Remington made, build date 1916 mosin that was sent to Russia and actually captured by the Finns, so I keep that one authentic, and it shoots great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts