·
Registered
923 Posts
Very Nice

I think that my next pistol purchase is going to be a XD45

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Sweet! It looks gigantic compared to my regular XD-40 Service 4". Maybe it's just the camera perspective. The shape of the grip seems different and enlarged. Interesting. I will be looking to get a little sub-compact soon, kinda like the one Terra has cus I want something small for concealed carry so I may get the new XDM. Strangely on the Springfield Armory website they don't have a section for the XD-M where they list the models available like they do for the regular XD.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet! It looks gigantic compared to my regular XD-40 Service 4". Maybe it's just the camera perspective. The shape of the grip seems different and enlarged. Interesting. I will be looking to get a little sub-compact soon, kinda like the one Terra has cus I want something small for concealed carry so I may get the new XDM. Strangely on the Springfield Armory website they don't have a section for the XD-M where they list the models available like they do for the regular XD.
Lex the cool thing is, this thing is hardly any bigger than the XD-40 service model.

I have the XD-40SC (over 3000 rounds), and an XD-45 (over 5000 rounds).

I love 'em both!

The XD-45 is my favorite handgun out of a large collection. 8)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I too am a XD-lover. I had 4 at one point but now am down to two. a 9mm tactical that looks like it's seen action in Iraq (love it) and a.45 standard I carry in my car. My favorite .45 of all time is the XD45 tactical. Shoots super soft and accurate, just too big to carry so I sold it.

Badman, I looked at one of those new pistols last week but when I found out I'd have to buy all new magazines for it I said hell no. I have countless magazines for the old 9 and .45. They did that just to make a buck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've got 2 XD 9s and a XD-45 and really like them. They are very simple to operate and service. Also very reliable. I've had to have the springs in a couple of my 45acp hicap mags replaced, but Springfield's lifetime warranty covered it.

One of the 9s is my carry piece, but only because I still shoot it better than the 45. I keep working my skills with the 45 because I would really like it to be my winter carry weapon.

The new XD-M looks like a 40SW on a modified 45acp frame with a 4.5" barrel (maybe that's why it has more capacity and need new mags). Good concept for a LEO service weapon, especially since they should have a manual thumb safety available for those that insist.

If you don't like the trigger, there are a couple of places that specialize in XD trigger jobs. I've had all three of mine done.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew the mags wouldn't match. These hold 16 rounds of .40. They had to be bigger to get that many in. I ordered two more from Springfield this morning. Faxed them my 03 FFL and got the dealer discount. ;D

The trigger on the (M) has less travel and quicker reset. It feels just like my XD-45 service and XD-40SC triggers did when they were new. To me the XD have pretty damn good triggers to begin with.

A few hundred rounds down the pipe and some dry firing will smooth it out even more, and I'm not sure I'm quite good enough to need much better than what these come with right out of the box. :-\

Time will tell. I may get to the range for a few rounds with this thing tomorrow morning. I've got an itch. >:D

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I think it looks kick ass and I am going to buy a XD-45C version of it for looks alone when they come out.

Not that there is anything wrong with my XD-45. It has been a great gun, fairly accurate, and very reliable. It's just that the XD-45 is boring and I want something cooler.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got out to the range this morning. Took my 14 yr old along (caddy ;D), and we put the first 200 flawless rounds thru the new XD-40 (M).

Gun shot to POA, and I was able to achieve 4 inch groups at 50 ft. offhand. I know the gun will easily do better than that, but it has been a while since I last shot.

All-in-all, a great gun! I'll be keeping this one. May even try it in a few IDPA matches. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
My Minotaur MTAC Holster for the XD40 (not M) came today! This thing is so sweet :)

I can run and jump with it, i can sit comfortably, bend down, etc. with very little if any discomfort. And the only thing visible are the small black clips that sit on the belt.

The only thing I'm not too thrilled with is the amount of force required to pull the gun out. The holster has to bend to be able to conform to your body and this causes the handgun to be wedged in there pretty tightly so it requires a significant amount of force to pull out it. I guess that won't be a big deal with enough practice though. I didn't expect it to be as smooth to draw as a regular outside the belt holster, so it's fine.

Overall I'm very happy with it.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=95

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Nice setup Lex, looks like a nice tuckable holster. I don't ever use my VM-II as a tuckable, though I have the clips to do it. maybe i will try it next time I am home.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
are there any differences between this xd and the old ones other than the cosmetic changes?

and nice holster lex. I carry my g27 in a ctac every day. If it's too tight on draw, you can adjust the retention screws on the side of the holster if you hadn't noticed them ;)

eta, answered my own question... they look darn nice-I want one in 45 at some point...

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
If it's too tight on draw, you can adjust the retention screws on the side of the holster if you hadn't noticed them ;)
There is no way to adjust this. The unique thing about these minotaur holsters is that they are a hybrid of kydex and leather. This makes them extremely flexible, the holster literally bends to conform to your body, the leather does the bending and the kydex has no choice but to follow along because the kydex half is very thin and it is only a half (the other half being leather) so it has no structural integrity to maintain the proper shape.

One thing I will try is raising the holster so that less of it is compressed by the belt, this may alleviate some of the issue. But when I purchased it I knew there were going to be some issues with the flexibility since it was designed to be flexible! ;)

I'm merely stating a predicted fact here and not complaining :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts