XCR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still trying to decide what scope to get for my XCR. Right now I am using a cheap AIMPOINT knock off and it is doing ok and I am using a Tru-Glo 2x Red Dot and it is doing ok, but I want a scope that has a little more magnification about 6 or 7 power but I do not want to lose the ability to use the scope at close targets. I have been looking at the Millet DMS-1 and I really like the reticle and the fact that it can be used with or with out batteries the only problem is I want it to have a little more magnifaction, I have also been looking at two of the NCStar Mark II Tactical Scopes and the look like they are ok but I have had 1 bad scope from them before and I do not know if I will trust them now. The reason I want to have so much magnifaction is I am going to use my XCR as a hunting rifle this fall if the 7.62 x 39 kit is out and I want to be able to recognize the size and gender of my target. If anyone has any suggestions for scopes I would appreciate it. I am looking to spend no more than $ 350 - $ 400 on the scope and the mounts and I hope to get a scope that has magnifaction of either 1-6 or 2-7 power that is illuminated and preferably will operate with or with out batteries. Thanks For Your Help

Here is a link to the scopes I am looking at

http://www.ncstar.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=34

http://www.ncstar.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=40

http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/catalog/tactical_dms

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would look at a Burris Fullfield II in 2-7 but the only problem is I don't think they have an illuminated reticle. If you want to look at a 3-9 with illuminated reticle, I bought a Burris Fullfield II for my XCR but it doesn't fit my needs and I am looking to free up some cash for a new scope for my precision rig.

I have about 100 rounds through it and I am sure it will have some ring marks, other than that it is good to go. It has been to the range three times and spent the rest of the time in my house.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have the Millett and I love it for what I'm using it for. I'm going to be using it for plinking and general target practice. The glass on it is very nice and the red donut works pretty well too. For the $200ish that you'll pay for it I think you would enjoy it. It is 1-4x magnification so you could adjust it. I dont have the blessed ability of being able to keep both eyes open very well, so I can't tell you about it and compare it with aimpoint or ACOG.

Anyways I like it. It is a bit heavy, so keep that in mind. I dont have an exact weight but you can definately tell a difference.

Another pointer if you get this and plan to keep your BUIS on there you might want to get the high rings. I got the mediums and had to take my back BUIS off.

G

·
you really need to use the search function on this. it has been discussed several times and the answers remain largely the same.

that said, after looking at the scopes you are considering I would reccomend that you buy a "Famous Maker" scope or something made in CHina from CDNN that sells for the "under $30" range I'm sure you'll be happy. >:D

heres the bottom line dude. you get what you pay for. quit trying to half ass it. spend almost the same money on your scope as you did on the rifle (or at least half) is the rule of thumb.

Burris (the exception to the rule)
Leupold
Nightforce
Schmidt and Bender

those are the only names you need to know. everything else is a wasted side journey., but what the fuck do I know, I actually shoot my guns (a lot!!) under field conditions and NOT from a bench.

·
Registered
356 Posts
you really need to use the search function on this. it has been discussed several times and the answers remain largely the same.

that said, after looking at the scopes you are considering I would reccomend that you buy a "Famous Maker" scope or something made in CHina from CDNN that sells for the "under " range I'm sure you'll be happy. >:D

heres the bottom line dude. you get what you pay for. quit trying to half ass it. spend almost the same money on your scope as you did on the rifle (or at least half) is the rule of thumb.

Burris (the exception to the rule)
Leupold
Nightforce
Schmidt and Bender

those are the only names you need to know. everything else is a wasted side journey., but what the fuck do I know, I actually shoot my guns (a lot!!) under field conditions and NOT from a bench.

Wow. Really letting him have it eh. Not to question your experience under field conditions, but I think you're missing Swarovski, Trijicon and Unertl. I agree wholeheartedly with the "getting what you paid for" comment. I only use Schmidts and Swarovskis on my hunting rifles which have been used under plenty of "field conditions" of their own. I have a TA55 ACOG on my .223 but field conditions have been limited to paper hunting, but not one sheet has escaped it. I only say Unertl due to its extensive use by the USMC Scout Sniper in the past few decades (since replaced by the Schmidts). Just my :2cents: though

That said, none of this answers the original poster's question. I searched the optics I could think of when it was originally posted but, like Jack A Sol was unable to come up with any constructive suggestions. The price range/power/illumination criteria pretty much eliminated anything I could think of.

G

·
LOL ;D >:D ;)

I'd start with the Burris XTR-14. spend the extra dough.

if that aint gonna cut it for ya price wise then maybe look at some of the russian optics.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am still trying to decide what scope to get for my XCR. Right now I am using a cheap AIMPOINT knock off and it is doing ok and I am using a Tru-Glo 2x Red Dot and it is doing ok, but I want a scope that has a little more magnification about 6 or 7 power but I do not want to lose the ability to use the scope at close targets. I have been looking at the Millet DMS-1 and I really like the reticle and the fact that it can be used with or with out batteries the only problem is I want it to have a little more magnifaction, I have also been looking at two of the NCStar Mark II Tactical Scopes and the look like they are ok but I have had 1 bad scope from them before and I do not know if I will trust them now. The reason I want to have so much magnifaction is I am going to use my XCR as a hunting rifle this fall if the 7.62 x 39 kit is out and I want to be able to recognize the size and gender of my target. If anyone has any suggestions for scopes I would appreciate it. I am looking to spend no more than $ 350 - $ 400 on the scope and the mounts and I hope to get a scope that has magnifaction of either 1-6 or 2-7 power that is illuminated and preferably will operate with or with out batteries. Thanks For Your Help

Here is a link to the scopes I am looking at

http://www.ncstar.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=34

http://www.ncstar.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=40

http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/catalog/tactical_dms
You want a quality 2-7 scope that has a lit reticule option that is $350, or less?

I think that, given the capabilities of the 7.62x39 round, a 2-7 power scope is a bit much.

There are many good hunting scopes under $350, but I cannot think of one, other than the Millet DMS-1, with a lit reticule that I would trust.

IMO, the NcStar scopes are good only at separating you from your money.

I say go with a Bushnell 3200 1.5-4.5x32 Firefly and leave the lit reticule stuff behind.

With that said, if you want a lit reticule under $350, try the Falcon Menace 1.5-5.

Their Optics line is assembled in China using Japanese glass, and they are not supposed to that bad.

Falcon Menace 1.5-5 scope. Currently Out of Stock, call for availability.

If you want to go cheap, then try the Vector Optics line.

They are made in China and seem to be good for what they are, a cheap scope made in China. They have the typical bloom issues when the lit reticule is too bright, but what do you want for ~$110 to $125, FOB from Shanghai?

Vector Optics 1.25-4.5x26 Hunting Riflescope Etched Illuminated Reticle

Vector Optics 1.75-6x32 Riflescope Illuminated Reticle Turret Lock System

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
In your situation I would choose the Millet. I have never handled, nor shot, the Chinese scopes. I agree the NcStar is a "piece of shit." :2cents: P.S. Remember...... spend cheap get cheap." OPTICS deserve as much $$$$ you can come up with. Accuracy well be optimum with quality optics.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that you get what you pay for I was just wondering what the best scope for the money is I am trying to save some money on the scope so I can get a new vehicle and a couple more weapons. The scope does not have to be illuminated I would just prefer it to be. I know that having a high magnification scope is a little over kill for 7.62 x 39 but I like having the magnifaction to better see the target/ animal etc.. I had a cheap 6x NCStar scope on a M1-Carbine and the recoil of the weapon broke the scope, but I did not know if I might have had a fluke or not but now I see that they crap scopes like I thought.

Thanks for the help I would still appreciate some more suggestions though

·
Registered
48 Posts
Never skimp on accessories when you can help it. Sometimes you can find value. Most of the time all you do is lose your money and have a broke/torn or damaged POS item. But at least it was cheap.

Here are some scopes that will fit your needs. Some are better than others. You really need to go and look through some of these to get a feel for them and what your needs are.

Burris FFII 2-7x35 (either std. or their so-called tactical) ~$175.00 to $250.00
Bushnell 3200 1.5-4.5x32 w/ FireFly ~$200.00
Bushnell 3200 2-7x32 ~$200.00
Leupold VX-II 1-4x20 ~ $300.00
Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 ~ $300.00 to $350.00
Nikon 1.5-4.5x20 Monarch UCC Shotgun Scope ~$250.00 to $270.00* (Line Discontinued, but still can be found)
Nikon 2-8x32 Monarch ~$290.00 to $300.00
Nitrex Optics 1.5-5x32 Riflescope ~$285.00 to $300.00
Vortex 1.75-5x32 Diamondback ~$160.00 to $170.00
Vortex 2-7x35 Diamondback ~$170.00 to $180.00
Vortex 2-7x32 Viper ~ $300.00

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is part of the problem none of the local gun shops carry this types of scopes so I can see them before I buy one. I never even was able to look at a XCR before I bought one.

Between trying to stockpile ammo, buying some more weapons, buying the 7.62 x 39 , and a new vehicle, I am trying to save some money where I can so I am trying to get the best I can for the money

Thanks for Your Help

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is part of the problem none of the local gun shops carry this types of scopes so I can see them before I buy one. I never even was able to look at a XCR before I bought one.

Between trying to stockpile ammo, buying some more weapons, buying the 7.62 x 39 , and a new vehicle, I am trying to save some money where I can so I am trying to get the best I can for the money

Thanks for Your Help
If you want a KISS scope, go for the Simmons 4x32 ProDiamond Master Shotgun Scope.

I have two of these. One on my Winchester 1300 slug barrel and the other on my NEF Ultra Slug 12 gauge, which I had reamed out for 3 1/2" magnum. I need every mm of that 4" eye relief and every ounce of its 11lb 2 oz weight when I fire my 3 1/2" Lightfield slugs. :eek:

I do not recommend many Simmons scopes, but this one is not that bad.

Fixed 4 power
Fully Coated Optics
4" Eye relief
Waterproof
Shockproof

They have held up...so far. Not only that, but I got them for under $90 each.

Just a thought. As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I am going to get the Vortex Viper 2 -7 or the Vortex Crossfire 2.5 - 10, they look to be good scopes for the money and I like the Versa-Plex C3 Reticle on the Vortex Viper, My Question now is has anyone used either of these scopes or any other scopes made by Vortex

Thanks Again for Your Help

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This Scope is just going to be more of a hold me over scope until I can afford a better scope for sure, and I find out if when I get into Law Enforcement if I can use my own Rifle as a Patrol Rifle.

The other reason I want to try to save some money on the scope is I am enrolled in a handgun training with Pat Goodale class in about a month and a half and I am paying off that class and stockpiling ammo for it, I am also looking at taking a class for the Carbine from Perroni Tactical Training Academy, I am just waiting on a reply from them on some questions I had.

Once I find out if I am going to be able to use my Rifle as a Patrol Rifle I am probalbly going to get the 1.5 -4 Leopuld Scope.

The only other weapon I have plans to buy in the near future is a Pistol probably a 9mm and maybe a M44 Mosin Nagant but that is going to wait awhile I think.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
48 Posts
This Scope is just going to be more of a hold me over scope until I can afford a better scope for sure, and I find out if when I get into Law Enforcement if I can use my own Rifle as a Patrol Rifle.

The other reason I want to try to save some money on the scope is I am enrolled in a handgun training with Pat Goodale class in about a month and a half and I am paying off that class and stockpiling ammo for it, I am also looking at taking a class for the Carbine from Perroni Tactical Training Academy, I am just waiting on a reply from them on some questions I had.

Once I find out if I am going to be able to use my Rifle as a Patrol Rifle I am probalbly going to get the 1.5 -4 Leopuld Scope.

The only other weapon I have plans to buy in the near future is a Pistol probably a 9mm and maybe a M44 Mosin Nagant but that is going to wait awhile I think.

Thanks for your help
I would not sweat it too bad.

FWIW, the Burris FFII's are made in the Philippines.

Japanese optics are getting too $$ for many people. South Korea, Thailand, and the PRC is where many scopes are made/assembled now. Fact of life.

Considering how few companies around the world actually make optics, there are a lot of newer companies that are "private labeling" the same scopes essentially.

Now that Leupold has bought Redfield, I forsee them using the Redfield name to bring imports in and get allow the Leupold brand to consentrate upon the high end imports or assembled in the USA optics.

The Leupy 1-4x20 VXII is a real nice scope to put on a carbine. No lit reticule (Leupy's lit technology suxs!!) or BDC (though you can order a BDC through their custom shop for ~$50).

Not a big fan of their VX-I line and would avoid their Rifleman line altogether.

Good luck in your classes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tacweapon,

One more thing, the Leupold 1.5-4x20 Mark 2 tactical scope you spoke of is nothing more than the VX-II 1-4x20 Hunting Scope repackaged with the optional custom shop reticules as standard.

Oh, Leupy is charging more because it says 'Tactical' on the scope.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That Leupy is a ways down the pipe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts