XCR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first came across an XCR in 2008 when I was absolutely broke and couldn't afford one. For nostalgia, I've been contemplating picking up the original setup that I wanted, quad rail with covers, skeleton stock, etc. What are the downsides to these older rifles, except the extremely limited availability of parts?

·
Registered
23,135 Posts
Type 0 sucks for ease of adjustment. You need a tool to adjust it. Nothing really wrong with Type 1, provided you ensure its detent is properly engaged. I think Nate said Type 0 was best for shutting off gas completely IIRC.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I've found that Type 0 is the most restrictive system in my shooting. Original gas ports were much larger. If you're shooting a known combination/setup the reduced adjustability isn't a big deal. It's a wrench, loosen, pick one of four settings, tighten. Biggest downside is you can't get parts from the factory. The gas block is pretty robust but the piston head only works with the old design op rods so if you don't have one, you're SOL. Type 1 was slightly improved with toolless adjustment and some extra settings but seemed like the dial tolerances were pretty large so you got a lot of blow by but it used the same gas tube and the Type 0 and the piston head is compatible with the type 3 block.

Type 3 is an overall improvement and is going to be easier to deal with for spares/ compatibility

1 - 3 of 3 Posts