XCR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sportsman's Guide has a Fire Field 5mw green laser for $60. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? For that price I wouldn't worry about warranty coverage, just as long as the device isn't going to break in two the first time I fire the rifle.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You get what you pay for.
You've owned one and you're speaking from experience, or are you one of those guys who used to raise his hand in class and tell the teacher that you don't know the answer, just to hear the sound of your own voice?

Using your logic, there are many rifles that are better than an XCR simply because they are more expensive.

I'm not suggesting this laser is anything other than a piece of crap, because I have no way of knowing if it is or not. That's why I'm asking. I'm not one of those people who leaf through a catalog looking for the most expensive items just so I can brag about how much it cost me to get "the best." I'd rather use a resource like Consumer Reports or a forum like this to get valuable feedback from others who may have real experience with the things I'm thinking of buying. "You get what you pay for," doesn't, by itself, tell me one little thing about this product.

So, with all due respect, unless you have something else to say about Fire Field lasers, shut the fuck up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bravo !!!! If cost were the only measure of a product then all the "Yuppies" would have the best gear....even if they didn't know how to use it

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think that it is important to note that even if some of us use weapons of various types in our respective lines of work, whether you are LE, military, contractor, or security - the fact still remains that the vast majority of us are "issued" equipment in those situations... I"m sure there are situations where individuals have the option to use their own personal gear in their line of work but normally the "lawyers" will not allow that to happen so we take what we are given to do to the job.
If we could all afford "Mil spec" equipment, we would all have it but simply put, if someone is looking to purchase a piece of gear for target shooting, hunting, or home defense then its our responsibililty to give our opinions and experience on that piece of equipment knowing full well that it does not have to adhere to the strict standards of the military or LE.
I have never been able to use my personal gear for work and I sure can't afford to buy the same quality of gear that I am issued so I guess what I'm saying is - the opinions of fellow forum members means a lot when it comes to making a decison on what toys to buy.
BTW is it just me, or are the girls that work at RobArms hot? Something about a women that knows weapons makes me want to have another future Ex wife :D

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
This is my opinion,I know no one asked for it but here it is.We should give each other the benefit of the doubt about the intentions of others statements before we are rude to each other.It's a public forum,and we all have the right to express opinions,however we shouldn't be offended if someone answers our question in a way we don't like unless they are confrontational when doing so.That said I think we should all try to make suggestions that are relevant and that are constructive to the conversation based on experience.
As far as that particular laser sight you are referring to I have no opinion because I've never used one.The Sportsman's guide is great to do business with however and they will take it back if you are unhappy with it.It's generally true you get what you pay but there are exceptions,take the XCR for example,To me it's more than twice the rifle than some on the market are for little more than half the cost in some cases.The point is don't judge by price judge by performance.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It always amazes me that I can compose a reply that is correctly spelled and punctuated, grammatically error-free, and generally well-written, and the only words that will elicit a response are the last four. Out of 190 words in my second post, "shut the fuck up" draws the biggest gasp. I thought gun enthusiasts were made of tougher stuff — I was wrong. I will henceforth wear kid gloves when posting on this site.

Here's the thing: When I started this thread I selected "immediate email notification" of subsequent replies. I do this when I am trying to learn something and getting an email every few hours because someone posted that they don't know anything isn't helpful and it isn't necessary. Of the five replies to the original post, exactly zero have been constructive feedback related to the question. (Although dont_tread_on_me's response was partly informative because he has experience with Sportsman's Guide.)

So, while I appreciate the support and suggestions of etiquette, I'd enjoy even more a thread that contains only answers related to my original question.

You know what? I can't control you people. Do what you want. Whatever.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I was originally going to send this to you in a pm since it's not related to your question,but I felt that I needed to explain myself better publically so no one gets the wrong impression.Anyone that's read very many of my post's knows I'm not afraid to use a few expletives,therefore I'm not what you would call "sensitive".Please don't misunderstand me,my intention was not to scold anyone,I'm not the forum police.We have a pretty nice group of folks here and the reason for that is that we for the most part respect each other even when disagree,sometimes very hotly.My only thought was to try not to jump to any conclusions about what someones intentions are unless they are obviously rude.I also mentioned the fact that if a person wasn't going to post something constructive,it serves no purpose although you have the right to post your opinion,that doesn't mean you should.My apologies if you were offended by my remarks.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have not had any experience with the Fire Field laser, but I have used a Sightmark that was similar in build and in specs, it did have a red laser and not the green but what I found was that it was not very helpful in daylight I could not see the beam on target past 15 yards and the pressure switch was not very responsive, that was with the Sightmark and not the Fire Field but things are similar between them.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I hate to bring up the dreaded arfcom, but they have a "lights and lasers" forum where you might find some reviews. IIRC, some of the modestly priced green lasers have performed well for some of the members. Sorry I can't give you any info on the specific model you're asking about.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
What are the other numbers on the description? For $50.-$60 dollars off the shelf in the USA, is pretty cheap. A lot of them are intended for pointers and the first recoil may just "put them off line forever"....llol. I'll help if I am able.

Sportsman's Guide has a Fire Field 5mw green laser for . Does anyone have any experience with this brand? For that price I wouldn't worry about warranty coverage, just as long as the device isn't going to break in two the first time I fire the rifle.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
A lot of times with less expensive electronic items like that, the components are often perfectly sound. What varies and causes many problems is the way they are put together. Sloppy solder connections account for a lot of the variability, especially for things that are going to get banged around.

So what you end up with is kind of a crap shoot, maybe it'll work, maybe it'll just work for a while. I believe Sportsmans Guide has a good return policy on most things, so you can at least feel a little more comfortable you won't lose your money. Or if like some folks I know, you're enough of an electronics geek to just pop it open and fix their work.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
652 Posts
You get what you pay for.
I think that it would have been better put to say all the previous "cheaper" lasers have been a total wastes of money. Maybe it's the first good buy.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I don't disagree with what Killswitch said in the least. However, that goes both ways.

One of the shooting instructors at C2 (in Va Beach) related a story about how two guys just got back from a gunshow and dropped about $2200 each on "Tacticool M4's". One guy's group was all over the place so he asks the instructor to take a look. He looks through the "Aimpoint" mounted on the gun and swore he was looking at a 16minute pink dot. He looked real hard at the rifle and asked what the guy paid for it. When he told him, he promptly told him he should've done some research. He could've bought the gun and kit for under $800. The dude swore the guy selling it to him said it was a real Aimpoint. Then the other guy asked him how to tell if he had an authentic Acog. He explained how the ACOG was two pieces pressed together with matching serial numbers on each half. "Shit." said the guy dejectedly. Obviously in this case both guys didn't know what they were looking for/at and got taken to the cleaners.

A good friend of mine always says "Buy once, cry once." For the circles he's referring to, you're NOT going to risk your life and your Team mates lives on shitty/cheap gear. Noramlly there's a reason why some gear is more expensive. Does brand name come into it? It sure's shit does, but it's because they've normally proven themselves to work, and that's why those groups use them. That and because that stuff's issued anyway and they don't have to go out of pocket.

In most civilians cases you don't really need to go all out for "the best" gear because you won't shoot it like you're a Frog/SF and you certainly won't abuse it like you're one. In those cases than I'm sure that laser will do just fine. Just don't be surprised when that thing shits the bed the first time you accidently drop your rifle on the side it's mounted on.

Bottom line some kit is overpriced garbage, but often times it's expensive because it's good. Buy what you want man. It's a free country.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
There are three risks with cheap lasers.

1: Recoil sensitivity. It may not stand up to abuse.
2: Focus. The dot might be a bit on the large side and not cleanly focussed.
3: Temperature. Many cheaper laser diodes don't function well or at all at low temperatures.

That said, for the price it may be worth the risk. Many of the higher prices parts use the same diodes and electronics as cheaper brands. If it fails on you , send it back. If it works, great.

As for temperature issues, worst case mount it above the barrel so heat shrouds the devies and it should work within a few shots.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts