XCR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has tried changing the charging knob/handle itself for something more substantial. More along the lines of an FAL's. Just got my "X" yesterday and upon examining it thats really the only item on the weapon that kinda stands out as a little cheesy(maybe the rubber buttplate also with its obvious pour stub, no biggy there though). I'm sure in practice the charging system works fine but I think a better constructed & slightly larger knob ie protruding greater <-----[ is in order.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Not that I have seen. There are a few guys that beat the snot out of their XCRs and I have yet to hear of a charging handle knob failing. I think Terra commented one time as to why it is built that way.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It seems almost pure FAL to me although I would agree a folding handle like some FAL's would be sweet. I have run an FAL for a while on the road and the fixed charging handle would dig into my back when slung, but the XCR's doesn't for some reason.

I am coming up on 10K rounds through mine and haven't noticed any wear on the charging handle and it seems as tight as it was after break in. It has been too long to remember what it was like new.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on. I recall slinging my FAL all too well. Just aesthetics definitely. Took the XCR out today for the first time and it functioned flawlessly. All milspec ammo. Could not be happier. Just got to get my BUIS dialed in and an Aimpoint M3 on there. Combat ready Nirvana!
Cheers everyone! Good to be part of an exclusive club.
Stu

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I fired a PTR-91 once that pretty much turned me off to folding charging handles. Operating that thing was a big enough PITA while sitting there on a range... certainly wouldn't want to do that under any sort of stress.

My FALs have knobs very similar to the XCR, and that is what I like.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The folding charging handle is on the Aussie/Argentine/Brit/Canadian style FAL. I personally like it as well as their style of "extended" safety. The Belgian safety requires you to shift the hand operating the safety.... a real pain-in-the-ass. About all, other than weight, I don't like on the FAL is the sorry ass "soldier proof" sites. An XCR-M in .308 or .260 Remington would definetly fill my list. :thanks: :bow: :tiphat: :bolt:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts