XCR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got me a little problem with a fox eating our chickens... :mad:

Has anyone had any luck with a particular predator call - or can you recommend the best decoy/bait to draw them out of the woods so I can pop 'em?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think we need to chat... I got one coming around way too much too. My cats stay real close to the barn and house now days. Two weeks ago a Fox chase Tiger into the barn. My wife saw this odd puffy thing run by.. (Tiger with his fur puffed) and then turned to see the fox 20 feet away. It stopped, looked at her for a moment and then walked away.

I've been building a shed the past few weekends and have seen him 3 times, coming around on his rounds (1-4 pm). I should have kept a rifle handy. He is large

I have a contract on him for the fall when my brother-in-law is out here hunting deer. I'll see what he recommends.

http://www.murrayslures.com/lure2.html

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At first "we" thought the neighbors dog ate them, but "I" said it had to be a fox - but "we" said DOG. Well, I searched everywhere around the coop and a 20 yard radius and all I could find was dog (big dog) tracks so I bought into the whole neighbors dog theory.

So finally, the GF see the fox up at the coop the other night... and gets worried because she just got some new peeps (silkies) to replace the three rhode island reds that got ate. We have one red hen left...

We've just completed the renovation of the chicken palace with 6' fence and intrusion detection. ::)

I told her the chicken perimeter was now secure, and the fox was as good as gone. Then she says "Well, I guess it's only doing what is natural..." so I say "OK, keep buying chickens for the fox to kill and eat."

Since that time, we've had no more conversation about fox hunting, so I'm free to deal with it my own way.

I'll have a nice clean shot for the setup, and figure I can draw it out of the woods near dusk (around the same time the other chickens disappeared). From what little I know, this is probably the male - while the female stays with the pups.

We have several cats too, and figure it's just a matter of time before one of them gets to be fox dinner.

Ideally, I'd get some lure, a distress call, and a flopping rabbit decoy - FILLED WITH TANNERITE - and the rest would be worthy of video tape...

Roughneck - I've never known of a fox to fall for the cage trap?

·
Registered
98 Posts
My grandfather was a fair trapper and we spent many a morning walking the
trap line. The fox is the toughest to trap. Smarter then most people,
better nose then your best hunting dog and better hearing then a bat.
If you have human sent on any trap, forget it.
Maybe third gen night vision scope from about 50 yds.
Unless you have some fox urine and a clean trap. I'd wait for winter
though so the pelt will be full and wort some $$.

Have fun. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've got a large cage trap somewhere. Let me know if you want to borrow it. I'm not sure how to bait it for a fox and would guess you have a better chance of catching one of your cats, but it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm... I am no expert, but what V said about them being so cunning seems to be right on the money. I think I'm gonna try the distressed rabbit call, wait until just before dark (which seems to be his dinner time) and see what results I can get. If nothing works - I'll opt for the cage and go from there.

This predator has no pressure, and seems to have a den in the 17 acre parcel behind me. The GF saw where he went into the woods, and found a pile of feathers from one of her chickens, so that is where I'll focus my attention. I suspect he's a creature of habit, and havnig had (3) succesful chicken missions - and a spoiled 4th one - he's likely to be spoofed with the distressed rabbit call.

Come to think of it - we HAD quite an abundance of rabbits around here, and I haven't seen any lately... so my guess is that this family of foxes is a recent arrival to the neighborhood.

Maybe that would explain why we've had these chickens for two years, left them out in the yard to roam freely, and no issues with predators?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fox season runs November to February. I've inquired as to what I can do under the premise of "nuisance" and endangerment of pets. Waiting to hear back...

I'm not one to break any rules or regulations intentionally, but will do what is needed to protect the 'livestock'.

Definitely appreciate the additional info.

If I am forced to wait, you can bet I will be ready opening day (night). :sniper:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts