XCR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range last weekend. Shot my XCR for the first time, I really like it! Sighted in the Aimpoint Comp M4S to a 25 yard bulls eye within 7 shots without knowing anything about the click values.

When I tried to adjust the front iron sight ( Troy Folding Front Battle Sight FBSA4F ), I could not get my fingers on the post. Is anyone willing to share their methods of adjusting this sight?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use a pair of forceps and the tip of a very fine screw driver to make the adjustments. Any small thin pair of needle nose pliers would work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a pair of forceps and the tip of a very fine screw driver to make the adjustments. Any small thin pair of needle nose pliers would work.
Thanks! This is what I also thought of doing, but seems like a possibility of finish damage.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks! This is what I also thought of doing, but seems like a possibility of finish damage.
A little masking tape on the tips of the tools will any prevent damage. You could also dip them in plastikote to prevent metal on metal contact, which also should prevent damage.

·
Registered
331 Posts
First, unload the gun
Second, use that tool you linked to and a small screwdriver
You are least likley to bend or scratch the post this way. I don't know how I know this ::)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
THAT TOOL SHOULD WORK IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE TROY HK HOOD. I HAVE THE TROY HK STYLE HOOD & MY AR SIGHT TOOL WILL NOT FIT BETWEEN THE HOOD. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just ordered this from Brownells to adjust my GG&G front sight (per the GG&G) recomendation:

078-015-002 A-2 AR 15/M 16 SIGHT WRENCH $8.75

·
Registered
503 Posts
The field expedient way we always used on the range was the tip of a round. It looks like it's about the same size pin as on a M4 front sight post so I'd imagine it would work.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
The tip of a round is a good field expedient. Why not just buy the M16 sight tool? The AK sight tool won't work on that model as the front post is the M16 style not the AK version.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Got the tool from Brownells today. It works as advertized, and I am still using the expedient tip of the round to hold the detant down - not to please the purists, but because it is handy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The MI front sight doesn't have enough adjustment. I used a small file, though I considered using a larger hammer. It worked, but I had to take about 1/8" of metal off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would recommend against using needle nose pliers as they might chew up the front sight - I speak from experience with this even though I used tape on the pliers. There are other options though, such as the bullet tip. Using tooth pics is also an interesting idea.

Another idea I picked up here is using a new pencil eraser. It will provide enough grip to turn the sight post, but won't harm or mar it in any way. It might only be good for a few uses though before you will have to use a new pencil.

I would recommend just buying the AR-15/M-16 sight adjustment tool.

-K

·
Registered
25 Posts
The MI front sight doesn't have enough adjustment. I used a small file, though I considered using a larger hammer. It worked, but I had to take about 1/8" of metal off.

I had the exact same problem with mine. I unscrewed the front sight post and dremmeled a little bit off the threaded area. This gave it enough clearance to adjust further for me.

-K

1 - 18 of 18 Posts