XCR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard plenty of "yea you could but its heavy" or whatever, I'm just looking for actual experience. Chances are when I get to pull the trigger, so to speak, I'll have to either decide on not having a 7.62 version at all or dealing with a over-bored can on any other caliber I have.

Anyone with details? Looking at published specs, the 7.62 cans weigh about 1/2 pound or less over the 5.56 models. Of course at the business end, that extra mass has a greater effect. I think I could deal with it (maybe just shorten thing up a bit >:D, there goes another $200)

Danno

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
They work just fine. Of course you won't get the suppression a caliber specific can would give you, we're talking details there. I won't argue over decibel levels because there is a difference but if you want a "do all" can, they'll work just fine.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Check out this place http://silencerresearch.com/ They just finished a .308 shootout and shoot some of the cans on a 5.56. Thar same day they did a 5.56 shootout. I know it is a pay site but when you are going to spend upwards of $1000 on a can with the tax, what is $35 to see some unbiased results?

you can also go over to silencertalk to hear more.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yeah, they just did the shoot a month or so ago and just released the results about 2 weeks ago (I am guessing, the days all run together for me). There were apperently some suprising results in both tests.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Shot a 762SD on my XCR some time back and I really couldn't tell much difference between that and my M41K. Heavier and a touch bigger is all.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Shot a 762SD on my XCR some time back and I really couldn't tell much difference between that and my M41K. Heavier and a touch bigger is all.
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus with most quality .308 cans on a 5.56

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Heck, I shot standard velocity .22LR out of a 9MM AAC Avenger can on full auto Uzi (conversion) and it was WAY quieter than a dedicated .22LR can.

Maybe it had to do with the volume of gas able to be captured in the larger Avenger can?

I dunno - but I was pleasantly surprised...

I've been shooting .22LR (using JAC bolt convrsion on my AR's) through my AAC M4-2000 Mod7 and AAC Ranger with better performance than my .22LR specific AAC Pilot, but there are folks that say not to shoot smaller calibers through larger bore suppressors as it makes the bullet unstable, etc.

I see no issue, and am considering getting an AAC 762-SD, Cylcone or SCAR-H SD to serve double duty, but here is my question...

The 5.56 rifles generally have 1/2 x 24 barrel threads while the 7.62 generally have 9/16 x 24 barrel threads. The AAC site gives no specifics on the thread size/pitch options that may (or may not) be available for mounting a 7.62 flash hider/mount on say a 5.56 barrel.

Or am I overlooking the obvious, and you simply screw the 7.62 can onto whatever (e.g. AAC) flash hider adapter you have and let 'er rip?

I know (first hand) that the newer M4-2000 cans with fine thread (51 tooth) ratchet does work on the older (18 tooth) flash hiders - but not vice-versa.

Keep in mind, I am only speaking of AAC here, and not trying to mix/match cans and adapters.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
AAC makes the flashhiders available in different thread pitches so that you can use it on a different caliber.

You are correct about the gas volume expansion. Usually if the can is made for a larger weapon it will be bigger and therefore have more baffles/room to trap gas/etc.

I would hesitate to shoot .22 through a non rimfire can only becasue of the possible leading, size of the can has nothing to do with the bullet stabilization. If you are going to get a baffle strike you are going to get it with the baffles made for the gun before you get it on larger baffles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts