XCR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,I'll admit my eyesight ain't the best,it's a contrast issue for me.I can see it better indoors than out.Well this isn't a new idea,but I thought I would share with anyone else having this problem.I used a white crayon to rub into the depression of the numbers,rubbed off the excess and voila'.This isn't the greatest pic,but you get the idea.I also did the safety while I was at it:white for safe,and red for fire.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used white nail polish to get the same effect. Paint it over the numbers and wipe off the excess with a cloth dipped in a little nail polish remover. BUT! be carfull, I spilled some on the side of my gas block and now have a unique winter camo job on part of my gun.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
312 Posts
I did mine with testors model paint (enamel). Looks just like yours. I dont let it dry more than a minute. To wipe it down, I use mineral spirits. A cloth for the initial wipe off then blow it to eveporate then maybe Q-tips if more is required around the letters. I think the evaporate step is cruetial to keep it from smudging the lettering as much as poss.

I did have my XCR detailed with white, looked really cool. Now the rifle is solid brown and I'm gonna do the lettering in black.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
331 Posts
Here is what a spare can of silver paint, a tooth pick and 5 minutes can get you.
I sprayed the paint on a plate and used the tooh pick as a paint brush. Those numbers are small.
Paint seemed to go everywhere except in the number.
So I ran the side of the tooth pick over the number.

The result looks weird. Think about rubbing a pencil on a paper pad to see what was written on the sheet above. That is the effect. The second picture shows this best.

I could not get the lighting right and the flash was too much.

Now most of the time I could not even tell there were numbers on the valve. So this is a big improvement.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have always used a "china marker" which you can pick up at almost any hardware store or the internet. It doesn't melt or smoke and looks pretty good.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I used the Testors paint toothpick and patch method. It also helped me to fold the patch over a razorblade to get a nice sharp edge to 'wipe' the paint off the non-engraved areas. I did the same on the gas block, but I don't have a picture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts