XCR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I'd be worried about getting jacket separation if you crank up the juice too high. Bang and then 'Poof' about a hundred feet downrange. Neat too see but a little spooky.

G

·
I shot some 45 gr WWB varmint rounds out of my old 1-8 barrel and they turned into dust about 5 feet out of the barrel.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what would I need, a super fast twist barrel? Or are they made for another .224 round? I am just curious. Some gun has to shoot them, and I am assuming fast.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Sorry Aziator I haven't loaded anything this lite. Have you checked the reload sites? ???

·
Registered
449 Posts
The problem is a lot less about velocity and a lot more about twist rate. Bolt action with a 1:10 or 1:12 should be OK, the XCR with a 1:8 or 1:9, pretty puffs of smoke at about 5 meters as centrifugal spin tears it apart.........

You can reduce velocity by cutting down on powder but you won't be able to reduce spin sufficiently.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I didn't order any of them. Looked like a waste of powder and bullets in the long run.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Aziator, Enquiring minds need to know.... when the fu** are you going to rejoin the shooting community?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like to think I am part of the shooting community now but alas, my M9 just doesn't cut it. I am hoping to be home soon. I will let you know when I do.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yep, I bet those are intended for a very *slow* twist... 1:12 (same as the M16A1 which can shoot 55gr), or more likely, 1:14, which I believe some varmint bolt guns have.

You can calculate the RPM at the muzzle if you know the muzzle velocity and twist rate. I'm sure each bullet has a threshold where it will blow up; and I believe that is normally lower on lighter bullets/thin jackets.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd be worried about getting jacket separation if you crank up the juice too high. Bang and then 'Poof' about a hundred feet downrange. Neat too see but a little spooky.
+1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts