·
Registered
6,532 Posts
What if Hitler beat us to the nuke?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
What if Hitler beat us to the nuke?

D-Day would have been a whole other story, an entire invasion force annihilated in an instant. At the time they would have had a working device they didn't have an airframe to lift it though. Allied air superiority would have made it difficult for them to deliver it anywhere of strategic value. I suppose a tanked up V2 might've done it (their V3 was supposed to reach darn near orbital velocity and the US) to make England. They were also in collusion with the Japanese and shared material and knowledge. The US, with a little help from other friendly nations, was able to push through the production hurdles first with the massive industrial machine it had. The landscape today would be much, much different.

The chief engineer/scientist for the Nazi atomic effort, can't remember his name, but has been credited with stalling their efforts. For quite some time immediately after the war it was believed they were trying to develop a weapon through more difficult means and didn't possess the know-how to make it happen. After meeting with some of the Manhattan Project folks several years later he basically sketched out their plan on a cocktail napkin for them. He never admitted to it, but it seemed he knew more than he let on.

Didn't HBO make a movie several years back along the lines of a failed D-Day and a peace treaty with the Nazis? Rutger Hauer was in it I think. I have no idea what the plot was though.

And what does this have to do with a wooden stock you ask? Well, if you remember that one time when you went fishing last year you will realize there is no connection.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I've been a huge fan of the genre of literature known as alternate history, and my favorite author of this genre is Harry Turtledove. Many of his books cover wars ranging from the Civil War, to WWII. Usually he writes about a major event or battle and what his take on what would have happened if the outcome of a key battle or decision would have gone the other way. His books are very entertaining and thought provoking. To tie this in with the subject of the OP, on the cover of one of his books, a british soldier is holding an automatic rifle that looks like an XCR with wood stocks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ever hear of the Playstation 3 game Resistance: Fall of Man? It deals with an alternate history where Russia never went commie, Germany didn't go nazi, and FDR lost the election in 36 and the US remained isolationist. Although, the war in the game is with creatures of unknown origin that conqured Russia and went on the offensive in 1950. The US and British soldiers in the game use futuristic looking guns with wooden thumbhole stocks. I think they resemble M14's with Sage stocks more than XCR's though.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
It would be nice. Or at least, it would be nice to live in a world where liberals didn't try to impose their twisted beliefs and lifestyles on everyone else. Personally, I could care less if a liberal doesn't want to own a gun or what have you, but when they try to impose their sick views on everyone else, I draw the line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Everyone email this guy and ask him to design one: http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDsite/IWDHome.html

I e-mailed him a couple years ago about making a wood stock for the xcr and didn't get a reply. Maybe if a couple of us emailed ... lol.

I got one of his stocks for my ak and finished it myself. Looks great now. The fit needed a few modest modifications, but its hard to match every ak model I guess. He has a big wood lathe and cnc machine. He also just came out with a wood stock for the ar recently, so that might work in and of itself. Be nice to have a forearm too of course.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts