XCR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got (no kidding) at least 400LBS - maybe more - of .357SIG brass I scavenged from work.

Enough to fill a 30 gallon drum and 1/2 of another...

A lot of it is nickel plated Speer cases, so I figured now (post 11/04/2008) is as good a time as any to start.

I'm taking the plunge and picking up a Dillon XL650 (adding all the bells and whistles as I go).

I've checked the usual places (Midway, etc.) - but for you veteran reloaders, who has the best deals on supplies (powder/primers)?

Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Montana Gold makes a fmj bullet designed specially for the .357 SIG. It's accurate and affordable.

tk

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I check the following places for supplies

Midway
Wideners
powder valley
Dillon (sometimes they have good sales on lead and plated bullets)
Berry's plated bullets
Montana Gold
ARF.com

I am sure there are more, I have them all bookmarked at home.

Where are you buying your Dillon from? I got mine from Ed at http://edsbrassandreloaders.com/main.sc

He gave me a smoking price and I think free shipping. I go back to him lots when I need new stuff. He keeps a pretty constant supply on hand too. I ended up getting the works with 3 die sets and caliber conversions (with toolheads).

I also saw a dillon XL650 over on ARF with casefeeder, strong mount and bullet tray set up for .40 cal for $750 plus shipping. May be a good deal, it came with all the case feeder plates. I haven't priced new loaders in a few years but it may be worth looking into.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences loading for this cartridge. I've used plated bullets for my 9mm with good success. But couldn't get a decent load with them in the .357 SIG -- the accuracy was terrible. The FMJs solved the problem, and I've got a real accurate load now using Longshot.

Not sure if I was pushing it too fast for the plated bullets, or if I couldn't get the crimp right.

tk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been buying my 9mm bullets from Precision Delta, www.precisiondeltasales.com
Just ordered 3000- 9mm, 115gr for $67.00/1000 shipped to my door. The 124gr are $72.00/1000 shipped. Minimum order is 2000 bullets for free shipping. Nice bullets. Very nice people to deal with.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hoo-wee, good info fellas - thanks!

I'll pick through it and holler back at ya with some more questions.

I greatly appreciate the leads and friendly tips!

Az - I'm considering hooking up with Roy to get him started as a Dillon dealer. I suspect that with what I am looking to buy, I'll probably account for 1/2 of what his initial (minimum) dealer purchase needs to be.

I'll still check out your guy Ed to see what he has in stock / on hand and work from there.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Have a friend from work whos experimenting with these "black bullets":

http://www.precisionbullets.com/

They're selling 9mm for $65 per k, and claim that they "cost only a few dollars more than the cheapest cast lead bullets, but they give you jacketed bullet ballistics". I'll ask him how they worked out, when I get a chance.

A similar product can be found at https://blackbulletsinternational.com/ for a similar price. Anyone here have any experience with these?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

I'm keeping any and all options open at this point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts