XCR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supposedly several states already have this (5 I believe). It's supposed to log how many miles you drive and you pay a tax based on that.

The justification is that since people are moving to more fuel efficient cars and are buying less gas, the states and Fed are getting less revenue from the gas tax to keep roads maintained and this measure is "fair" b/c it taxes those who drive the most.

At least that's what it's being sold to us as.....

I think we all can recognize that this is just a way to monitor your movements (which can be done by cell phone GPS and OBDIII anyway from what I understand).....but I still don't understand why people are in favor of this.

Sean

***edit** My wife said it has passed in like 5 states already....I haven't confirmed; just repeating what was on my morning local news.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
A lot of folks are making a move on this I've heard, how far it is moved through the legislative process is unknown. I recently bought a hybrid and what I say is, "Pick one". You tax my gas purchase and now you're going to tax my travels? One or the other turbo, you don't get both.

The UK has a road tax for this. Which, given the myriad of taxes in that country, isn't all bad. If you damaged your vehicle due to road damage, pot hole, or whatever, the local council has to pay for it. They took the money to fix it and didn't do it so they are considered liable. Happened to my wife's car over there. The insurance company paid the bill to fix it and then went after the local gov't to pay it back.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If true, its a terrible idea. I say a gas tax is a good way to collect road taxes. For the most part it is a system where the more you drive the more you pay. And also for the most part it is the heavier gas guzzling cars and trucks that do the most damage to roads. This chip sysytem would be a nightmare to administrate and cheating would be rampant. I say this will go nowhere.

·
Registered
22,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have a cite for this?

It may be whoever told you this mixed up an idea that was floated and shot down in Boston with the current various EZ-Pass type systems.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/po...ty_holes_in_tax_plan:_Car_chip_steers_debate/
You are confused. My wife told me it had passed in something like 5 states already and has been in place for years already. I am unaware if that is the case or not.....hence my edit to make that part more clear.

I didn't 'hear' about this program from anyone. I saw it this morning on my local news channel.

Here's a link to the story.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/lahood_taxing_miles_022009

It says the plan is being considered by the Transportation Secretary, Ray LaHood.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Sean

·
Registered
22,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dead issue...Just got shot down by BHO himself. Curious he can't find competent people to fill his cabinets :'(

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/fir...ortation-chief-considers-taxing-miles-driven/
Though the spokeswoman for Trans Dept shot it down officially (which she works for LaHood??) from your link....and made it clear that it wouldn't be part of the Obama Administration's agenda.....the article went on to say, "However, most transportation experts see a vehicle miles traveled tax as a long-term solution, though Congress is being urged to move in that direction now by funding pilot projects.

The idea also is gaining ground in several states. Governors in Idaho and Rhode Island are talking about such programs, and a North Carolina panel suggested in December the state start charging motorists a quarter-cent for every mile as a substitute for the gas tax. "
.....among other things.

It may or may not be dead. If enough stupid people think it's a good idea and legislators get behind it....there could easily be a bill and many a President has signed into law bills that appeased the stupid.

I just wanted to post the warning.

Sean

·
Registered
449 Posts
There is no record I can find of it being the law in any state.

The Fox news segment is talking about ideas being floated not plans agreed.

All that would practically work would be an extension of the current toll road system where you can decide to load up credit via an EZ-Pass type box or pay cash when yiu enter and leave a toll road.

The option discussed would be hacked and broken by script kiddie level work in about 10 minutes of hitting the street. Hell, 5 cents of grounded copper mesh acting as a Faraday cage over the GPS receivers would work.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Update on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/20/driving.tax/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Obama administration will not support a policy of taxing drivers based on their mileage, the Transportation Department said Friday after a published interview in which Secretary Ray LaHood called it an idea "we should look at."
In a written statement, the department said, "The policy of taxing motorists based on how many miles they have traveled is not and will not be Obama administration policy."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts