XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking to a friend who's looking to put 40 grain V-max or similar (Sig Sauer/Winchester/Fiocchi) polymer tipped .223 varmint rounds in her XCR-L 5.56 (16" bbl) for home defense.

Before she spends the $26-50 a box (20-50 rounds), does anyone run these in their XCR-L and do they feed okay? I've had issues with softpoints in my .308 XCR-M (first gen). I know my newer model M runs them more reliably, but still has occasional failures to feed with SP ammo. Just wondering if the L's suffer from the same issue and I've only shot HP and FMJ through mine, so I don't have any data points.

I just don't want her to spend the money on the varmint rounds if they aren't going to be reliable.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I saw some of these, but haven't had a chance to order any yet. I do have issues with polymer tipped 6.5g occasionally diving in the mags. Probably less of a factor with something like pmags and 5.56

·
Registered
22,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw some of these, but haven't had a chance to order any yet. I do have issues with polymer tipped 6.5g occasionally diving in the mags. Probably less of a factor with something like pmags and 5.56
I guess I should probably just have her stick with slightly heavier 45 grain HP ammo, to be sure they'll function unless someone here pops up with polymer tip experience.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I guess I should probably just have her stick with slightly heavier 45 grain HP ammo, to be sure they'll function unless someone here pops up with polymer tip experience.
If it’s really for home defense, that is the best option anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it’s really for home defense, that is the best option anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why is it 'better' than 40 grain poly tipped?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’ve shot the 62 grain Hornady Tap rounds without issue Sean. I know they’re not available anymore but I have used those with success and I’ve shot the 7.62x39 Hornady 123 grain SST without issue.

·
Registered
22,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I'd wager if they work with those....40 grain should have similar performance.

·
Registered
22,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
841 Posts
About 5-6 years ago I bought about 700 rds of reloads from a guy near by that was getting out of shooting, about 50/50 FM and hp.
He also had about 80 maybe 100 rds of polymer tipped in the ammo box.
No problems with it.
Why these instead of hp?

·
Registered
22,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
About 5-6 years ago I bought about 700 rds of reloads from a guy near by that was getting out of shooting, about 50/50 FM and hp.
He also had about 80 maybe 100 rds of polymer tipped in the ammo box.
No problems with it.
Why these instead of hp?
Not sure....she read some article or anecdotal reports about the 40 gr. hitting over 3200-3600 fps even out of shorter bbls and basically due to the bullet design, high velocity and low projectile weight that they break up pretty quickly if you miss inside a structure. I think it's primarily about worrying about hitting a neighbor by accident.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I’ve shot the 62 grain Hornady Tap rounds without issue Sean. I know they’re not available anymore but I have used those with success and I’ve shot the 7.62x39 Hornady 123 grain SST without issue.
What I would like to know is where to find those Hornady x39s, they are scarce!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've been waiting on barnes 7.62 to come back in stock so I can reload. Their 55 and 70gr are great out of the short barrels, but the 62gr have trouble expanding

·
Registered
22,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What I would like to know is where to find those Hornady x39s, they are scarce!
Hornady can suck it after that fiasco with the vaccines.

Reactions: willpgn

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hornady can suck it after that fiasco with the vaccines.
We all choose our battles. There are few options for medium game hunting rounds in x39 so if Hornady makes one, I’ll still buy it, but I understand why others may choose not to do so. In this case, I wish that more people would boycott because I can’t find that ammunition anywhere! ;)

·
Registered
22,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We all choose our battles. There are few options for medium game hunting rounds in x39 so if Hornady makes one, I’ll still buy it, but I understand why others may choose not to do so. In this case, I wish that more people would boycott because I can’t find that ammunition anywhere! ;)
Totally your prerogative.

Kind of a related/timely video:

·
Registered
186 Posts
This video within this thread implies that people are being “cowards” when they don’t boycott, say, Hornady. But the problem is that there are other freedom principles at stake other than the notion that businesses shouldn’t force employees to vaccinate. There’s also freedom of contract, freedom of policy choices within private enterprise. I think that Tom or another poster hashed this out in another thread. My choice to not boycott Hornady isn’t based on me opposing their action yet turning a blind eye to it, it’s based on weighing what is at stake and I think the bigger threat to “freedom” is virtue-judging and how it leads to tyranny of the majority and a kangaroo court of public opinion that isn’t always based on evenly reported fact. This reminds me of the millennial who organized a petition to tell Trader Joe’s if they didn’t rename some of their products, the signatories would boycott. Trader J responded: sorry, we don’t make decisions about how to run our business based on petitions or boycotts.
Another aspect that is all to familiar to me is people virtue judging and “voting with their wallets,” while they then buy plenty of products from companies that aren’t transparent at all about their operations or externalities. If there was a full report about company policies about all the usual ammunition makers it would be a different matter but I wouldn’t assume that Wolf or Rem or Barnes or whoever are doing so much good across the board that Hornady’s PR nightmare is that much worse. I’m guessing that if I boycott every ammunition company whose policies are distasteful to me, I’d be reloading. :) Again, it’s a personal choice to boycott or not.
(And where does it end? Does one boycott health care providers because they required employees to vaccinate? Because nearly every health care provider has done that. In condemning one witch hunt it seems to me it would lead to others.)

·
Registered
22,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This video within this thread implies that people are being “cowards” when they don’t boycott, say, Hornady. But the problem is that there are other freedom principles at stake other than the notion that businesses shouldn’t force employees to vaccinate. There’s also freedom of contract, freedom of policy choices within private enterprise. I think that Tom or another poster hashed this out in another thread. My choice to not boycott Hornady isn’t based on me opposing their action yet turning a blind eye to it, it’s based on weighing what is at stake and I think the bigger threat to “freedom” is virtue-judging and how it leads to tyranny of the majority and a kangaroo court of public opinion that isn’t always based on evenly reported fact. This reminds me of the millennial who organized a petition to tell Trader Joe’s if they didn’t rename some of their products, the signatories would boycott. Trader J responded: sorry, we don’t make decisions about how to run our business based on petitions or boycotts.
Another aspect that is all to familiar to me is people virtue judging and “voting with their wallets,” while they then buy plenty of products from companies that aren’t transparent at all about their operations or externalities. If there was a full report about company policies about all the usual ammunition makers it would be a different matter but I wouldn’t assume that Wolf or Rem or Barnes or whoever are doing so much good across the board that Hornady’s PR nightmare is that much worse. I’m guessing that if I boycott every ammunition company whose policies are distasteful to me, I’d be reloading. :) Again, it’s a personal choice to boycott or not.
(And where does it end? Does one boycott health care providers because they required employees to vaccinate? Because nearly every health care provider has done that. In condemning one witch hunt it seems to me it would lead to others.)
Ah...so you're the one he offended? LOL....it's one man's opinion. Nothing says you have to agree.

Further, he addressed the fact that he's not perfect in this either.

And yeah, I pretty much am boycotting all "health care providers" since they suck most of the time anyway. Looking at a naturopathic doctor now actually....one I'll pay out of pocket just to avoid the corporate docs that have time limits on discussing our health and the vast majority of which simply want to prescribe a pill for the symptoms (from which they often get a percentage) rather than determining the underlying cause of the issue. If the pills were a cure, how come so many are still on them?

Again, these are my decisions and no one else is required to agree or follow them. That's the freedom of choice thing America was built upon.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I’m not offended! 😂 Another principle upon which the nation was built is that we do business with each other, even when we don’t agree on lots of things, even important things. I actually think it’s of utmost importance that we interact with those we disagree, especially when the interaction has nothing to do with the content of the disagreement.

·
Registered
22,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’m not offended! 😂 Another principle upon which the nation was built is that we do business with each other, even when we don’t agree on lots of things, even important things. I actually think it’s of utmost importance that we interact with those we disagree, especially when the interaction has nothing to do with the content of the disagreement.
The offended thing was tongue in cheek...hence the LOL. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts