XCR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about picking up my first XCR, I've got 7 ar's and 1 M16 which is more than I can shoot, so I may then the hurd and deversify.

Anyhow I was wondering if anyone has shortened the XCR to 7 or 8 Inches. I do realize that this would require moving the gas block back, opening it up, shortening a piston and cutting the monolythic rail, but in the end I would like something like the Knight PDW. Also, I haven't yet decided if I wan't to use 7.62 or 5.56... ???

So has it been done? Am I crazy?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If you build it and don't have room in your gun safe........ ship it to me for proper safe keeping. ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
There is supposedly a factory "PDW" upper in the works from Robarm.

I can't imagine how much money you'd have to spend to even attempt to cut up an existing upper, and for what? an inch or two?

I don't know how you would work it with the barrel either; you'd have to take an existing barrel and plug the gas port, and then drill a new one further back. I've never heard of anyone moving a gas port on an existing barrel. Maybe it can be done? I don't know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a Photoshop of what I have in mind. Striking resemblence

To move the port back I think I would just have to enlarge the port, plug it, and weld the plug into the barrel with water running threw it, then have it turned down to match the OD. Does anyone have a good photo of the gas system on this thing? Could I just have a new piston turned?

Jerad

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
A PDW is in the works, unfortunatley Robarm has said it will probably be a 10 inch barrel. I already have an 11" XCR so I want something smaller. I have thought about buying all the parts and trying to shorten it myself. The barrel shouldn't be an issue, except for getting it to run. Cutting the Upper is easy. It is cutting the piston down and getting it to run that would be the hard part. I may give it a shot when i get back from my deployment.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I remember Alex mentioning his PDW concept would cut 2" off the standard upper. I'd like to see more go too. 4-5"
Yeah, I was thinking 5-6 off the upper would be money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts