XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting a Man Purse and these seem to get pretty good reviews. With 4 kids under 5 I am always carrying either diapers, wipes, drinks or snacks. Would be nice to do that without a diaper bag. Plus, I could carry some of the stuff I want. Thoughts??

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have the Monsoon Gearslinger and use it when I go ride the R1.

Works great, holds a LOT of gear, and quality is top notch! Doesn't flop around, and getting to it doesn't require me to lift it over my head like my Camelback Hawg - which is especially nice when I'm wearing my textile jacket.

Perfect for carrying both compact and full size personal protection, plus it doesn't look like a yuppie bag.

Here's a review from their website - for exactly what you are seeking: ;D

"Comments: I purchased the Monsoon to use as a Diaper Bag and it is great!! Holds everything I could possibly need for the baby, including toys. I added a SAW pouch to the front flap for carrying a sippy cup and a bottle. Heavy duty, no nansy pansy girly diaper bags for my boy!!"

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Thoughts??
The first one that popped into my mind was "DUDE!!! I'm SOOOOO glad I don't have to change diapers any more!"

Followed closely by

"Poor Az, I sure hated lugging the stinkin' diaper bag everywhere"

Don't sweat it though, as God's Word proclaims "this too shall pass".
Er, no pun intended.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My wife uses the Fatboy as her purse. Fine piece of gear; rugged, lots of storage, and bad-A lookin'.

Though I personally don't like the way the main pocket closes off with the cord -- I know why they do it and can't think of many other ways to keep your stuff inside the bag.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I don't have need for a diaper bag,but how about a military style backpack that has M.O.L.L.E. webbing on the back.I don't know how it would work,but you can load that bitch up with all kinds of gear,and if you needed more room you could always buy a grenade pouch to hang on the back for the sippy cup.... ;D.I bought one one the Sportsmans Guide for I think $30,it might not be "the best" but it has heavy duty stitching and shoulder straps,makes load bearing much easier,and when you no longer need it for diaper duty,you can use it for a spare bug out bag or range use or whatever.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I will check them out. I had the chance to see them in person a while ag and didn't pay them much mind. Now I don't know which one I want to get and need to try a few of them before I decide. No worries though, I have a bit before I get home.

I too will use it when riding. How is that R1 treating you?? Justin sounded a little worried about you riding it, something about an old man riding like his hair was on fire ;)

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I've been hauling a jumbo-s around daily for about six months. Real high quality, stands up well, stores your mags, light, first aid kit, etc., amd eaves plenty of room in the main compartment.

Worth buying, in my opinion.

tk

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Thanks, I will check them out. I had the chance to see them in person a while ag and didn't pay them much mind. Now I don't know which one I want to get and need to try a few of them before I decide. No worries though, I have a bit before I get home.

I too will use it when riding. How is that R1 treating you?? Justin sounded a little worried about you riding it, something about an old man riding like his hair was on fire ;)
Ha! Yeah, he is one to talk. When he returned in October, I went down to visit and pick up my new ride. We rode about 700 miles to various places, while enjoying the sunny Florida weather. We rode over into Alabama one day, and did a lot of local runs (Destin, Pensacola, etc.). We rode up to Valparaiso one afternoon and got a bite to eat - then rode north to catch I-10 (West) so we could drop back down SR87 and into Navarre.

It got rather chilly once the sun went down so Justin (not having a heavy jacket) says he's gonna tuck it and try to get home quickly. OK, I'm game...

So we're riding kinda hard on I-10 about 100-110MPH and I notice all these fricking deer (DOZENS OF THEM) standing right along the soulder. I see him pointing at a few that were particularly close and he pulls in the clutch and gives that Graves exhaust a nice blast. Well I don't know who he scared more - the deer or me! Them deer jumped and I had no time to react - but they went the opposite direction.

When we got back I told him he about gave me a heart attack and he said "Yeah, I thought about that about 1/2 second after I did it."

We laughed, and I wish I could've turned my headlight off for a few seconds to get him back. ;D

We're gonna see about getting together to ride the Tail of the Dragon before he PCS's in the spring.

The weather here in WV is NICE today. Supposed to be in the low 60's and I'm gonna make him jealous and go ride while he is stuck with his GF riding around in my Celica GT.

He'll return on Monday, hang out with the 4th SOS for a couple more weeks, then off to San Antonio / Albuquerque to retrain on a new airframe.

I think he's gonna try to hook up with a Super Huey squadron and stay on the rotor side of the house.

Anyway, I hear you like to ride like you stole it too! >:D

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link and the suggestions, I think I am gonig to try either a Colossal or the Jumbo, haven't decided yet.

As far as riding, lets just say there was a point last year that I was ridig a stretch of Alabama Hwy that for some reason had cops on it everyday at the exact time I went from the Hotel to the Simulator building. Not really sure why, just glad I had my radar detecter on the bike. I like to let loose every once and a while but try to stay less than double the posted limit. >:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
I carry my handgun and seemingly everything else in the Versipack model. Not big enough for diapers but I can speak to the quality of their items. Tough as nails.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been carrying a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack for a year or so. Just had too much "stuff" that I seemed to want/need to carry around. Contact lens case, wetting solution, sunglasses, backup prescription glasses/sunglasses, leatherman multitool, knife, flashlight, and my XD9 or XC45. Easily handles a water bottle, spare mag, gloves et al.

Comfortable to carry with the wide padded strap with easy access to pistol. Drawing motion is very similar to a belt holster once the zipper is open.

Only negative I've found is that I can't find a spot I really like for my cell phone except the main pocket. The smaller version (nonJumbo) has a cellphone holder on the carrying strap. I'd probably go with the smaller version if I carried a subcompact pistol. You also give up the water bottle holder which I thought I would not use much, but find that I use more than I thought.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd probably go with the smaller version if I carried a subcompact pistol. You also give up the water bottle holder which I thought I would not use much, but find that I use more than I thought.
Just an FYI. The smaller Versipack should hold most full size semi-autos just fine. I carried my full size glock in it until I got my XD 40 compact. You just need to make sure you use the holster insert to hold it at the correct angle. I usually carry it with the zipper open anyway, but the zipper would operate normally but just very slightly snug. And yes, the cell phone holder is a big plus.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All great info, I noticed the same thing about the cell on the Jumbo. I know that they make a cell case but worst case I will just leave it in my pocket. I am just waiting to hear from the wife to see if she thinks the Jumbo looks too "tactical" for everyday walking around.

I really like the new products with the dual color Khaki/Foliage. They did everything on it colormatched (no black buckles) and it looks pretty sharp.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd probably go with the smaller version if I carried a subcompact pistol. You also give up the water bottle holder which I thought I would not use much, but find that I use more than I thought.
Just an FYI. The smaller Versipack should hold most full size semi-autos just fine. I carried my full size glock in it until I got my XD 40 compact. You just need to make sure you use the holster insert to hold it at the correct angle. I usually carry it with the zipper open anyway, but the zipper would operate normally but just very slightly snug. And yes, the cell phone holder is a big plus.
My XD45 is just a little to large to comfortably draw from they gun pocket on the standard size Versipack; at least for me. My XD9 is ok in it due to the smaller frame which it shares with the XD40. The new XDm's might also be a probem since they are based on the XD45 frame. I used my jumbo for part of a 2 day concealed carry class I took least year and it worked out very well. I'm really considering getting a XD45 compact (has a shorter grip and 10rd mag, but will also shoot fullsize 13rnd mags) because the length of the girp is the biggest problem with concealed carry in both the Maxpedition Versipack and printing in a holster.

Only negative comments I gotten while carrying the jumbo, or at least the most creative, came from my 18 yo son, who calls it my Maxipad, uh Maxibag...

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do these things scream "Tactical" or "Gun Guy" when you are wearing them out at the store or anything? I have never really noticed anyone carrying them. They will go with everything I wear so no worries there.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Good question! I suppose they could scream 'gun guy', but only if you are toting one around without kids in tow.

Of course, if you have a 'helmet' in the other hand instead of a 'toddler' - I doubt people would think twice about that either.

I think guys that wear shorts and fanny packs in the mall are the most obvious... :duh:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hey, just hang a pacifier off the shoulder strap and stuff a diaper in the side pocket - and that will take away any 'gun guy' thoughts immediately!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts