XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone With 11" SBR ? ? ? Short Notice Question

I’m about to submit an order for my first XCR (remember your first time :) ).

I’m tempted to order an 11” SBR, but I’m just concerned with reliability and the possibility or cycling problems (not that I’ve heard of any). I read this thread a few times and it just had me concerned:
http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,311.0.html

kolob stated:
I suggest sticking with a 12" barrel. They can be cut down but we have not tested this length and do not have the time to do so right now. It will probably work. We have found that we like to have 2" plus between the gas port and the end of the barrel.

I know that Robinson Arms offers the 12” and an 11” is not much of a difference, but … … you know how we do it … we just want to push it a bit :)

I contacted Robinson Arms twice, not to sound skeptical or anything, but I feel that I have yet to receive a straight answer as to whether there is any doubt that an 11" barrel could pose ANY problems with reliability or functionality.

Anyways … my local dealer will likely put my order in for my SBR this Monday and I instructed him to order an 11.5” heavy barrel.

Anyone have any experience with the 11” in 5.56? I would like to go with the 11” if there is no reason to be concerned, but the old motto is stuck in my head ‘when in doubt … DON”T”.

Any experience would be MUCH appreciated.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Re: Anyone With 11" SBR ? ? ? Short Notice Question

Read my reply over in the general section. I would expect to have to open the gas port just a little with anything under 12". My 11.5" has to be on setting 4 right now. Before I chopped the barrel I was shooting on setting 2. Other than that it runs great.

·
Registered
702 Posts

I have been talking back and forth with Alex for the past couple of weeks about 11" bbls. and he assures me they work without any problems if you order it from him that way. He said the problems people have experienced is when they cut down longer barrels. I imagine he opens the gas port a little and he also said there have been no problems with 11" and the new gas system. People have had problems with the old gas system and ultra short barrels. My tax stamp should be here in a couple of weeks and then I will shoot on over to Robinson and get may barrel as I live only a few miles away.

I will post pictures and a range report when my project is finished.

MadDog

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks guys.

I just didn't want to buck the system unless it was "approved" by the manufacturer if you know what I mean. I modified my order to the 12" :duh:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts

It is all about the gas block. As long as it is properly sized you will be fine. My 11" shoots fine with "hot" ammo but my reloads have to shoot on setting 4.

·
Registered
681 Posts

The only risk that comes with an 11"er is that it can potentially ruin any suppressor you put on it.
I'd heard that Terra, so I called Gemtech today. Their official cut off is 10.5" barrels. According to them the reason why, is bullet stabilization. Obviously the longer barrels stabilize the bullet and reduce the risk of a baffle strike. He mentioned the fire from short 7" barrels not being good for the suppressor either but the main thing is bullet stabilization. He also mentioned the HK 10.4" barrels were fine as well. He said shorter ones are fine too as long as you have the proper bullet for the twist. I also called POF to ask if they run suppressors on their 9 3/4" guns. They said they always run Gemtechs, and Surefires without any issues. :)

·
Registered
5,177 Posts

I actually spoke to a customer who came in the other day. He's got a Gemtech (I think it was...), and he said it should work fine. If so, more power to him. :)

·
Registered
702 Posts

Terra, that was me that came in. I have an AAC Ranger suppressor and I am currently using it on my 10.5" AR upper. I have been using it for about two years now with no problems. I called Advanced Armament before I used it on my short barrel and they guaranty the can for life on barrels 10.5" and longer.

Terra, I only have one question. Is my 11" barrel done yet?

MadDog ???

·
Registered
702 Posts

Anything for you Terra, just get me the barrel faster! I have a 2-Gun Tactical Match coming up in a couple of weeks and really need to show your handy work off. You know how "boys and their toys" can be ;)

MadDog :duh:

·
Registered
702 Posts

magikbullit, it doesn't look like that any more. I thought the Hogue rubber overmold FF hand guard would run cool enough with the rubber overmolding but I was wrong. After four or five mag dumps it got too hot to hold even with gloves on. That upper now has a D&L FF hand guard which is the same length and diameter but it has oval cooling holes running the length at the 12,3,6, & 9 positions. It still has that awsome MP5SD look.

MadDog 8)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts

That looks good, I need to post some pics of the 9" AR I just built.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts

Like a dream. I am currently testing it for Daniel Defense. They accidentally measured wrong on a few barrels and cut them down to 9" instead of 10". I asked them to build it onto an upper and I would give it a good testing. I will be getting 2 uppers made with this barrel and a 9" rail. I will get some pics of when I get my uppers in.

·
Registered
702 Posts

The 10.5" pictured above is the big brother to my little "Diplomat" pictured below. I can't wait to finish my 11" XCR to complete the family photo.

MadDog :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts