XCR Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
All of my sub 16" AR's (and other guns) are SBR'd. Everyone thought I was nuts, but I keep telling them all it takes is for the "AFT" (same thing as the ATF in Joe's mind), to change their "opinion" and voila, instant felon. Too many "out" there? Nonsense! Not their (ATF's) problem....
I'm not overly familiar with NFA items, paperwork, legal status, etc. I understand that suppressors (democrat name: "silencers"), are another NFA item that also require a $200 tax stamp.
Is there any guarantee from the ATF or the US government that a tax stamped suppressor shall remain legal forever, or for the life of the person who bought that stamp, or for any stated length of time?
I ask because in May, chairman joe-potato announced he wanted to outlaw suppressors.

If suppressors are the same status as short barrel rifles, and they are currently going after braced pistols, and tax stamped suppressors, isn't it pretty clear that they will be going after short barrel rifles either next or pretty soon? Especially since this is on the road to his already stated goal of taking away all of the AR-15s.
If that's the situation, getting a tax stamp on everything only delay being turned into a felon by maybe six months?
And I get the feeling they are going to keep the $200, telling the stamp holders that it was the cost of the privalege for the days/weeks/months before the ban.

·
Registered
22,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'm not overly familiar with NFA items, paperwork, legal status, etc. I understand that suppressors (democrat name: "silencers"), are another NFA item that also require a $200 tax stamp.
Is there any guarantee from the ATF or the US government that a tax stamped suppressor shall remain legal forever, or for the life of the person who bought that stamp, or for any stated length of time?
I ask because in May, chairman joe-potato announced he wanted to outlaw suppressors.

If suppressors are the same status as short barrel rifles, and they are currently going after braced pistols, and tax stamped suppressors, isn't it pretty clear that they will be going after short barrel rifles either next or pretty soon? Especially since this is on the road to his already stated goal of taking away all of the AR-15s.
If that's the situation, getting a tax stamp on everything only delay being turned into a felon by maybe six months?
And I get the feeling they are going to keep the $200, telling the stamp holders that it was the cost of the privalege for the days/weeks/months before the ban.
Extremely salient point. The argument to not exercise one's rights b/c the government can simply take them away, means they were never inalienable in the first place...and that government has become "destructive to these ends".

Your point about tax stamps and NFA are duly noted and should be heeded by anyone dabbling in NFA falsely believing they will be exempt. They may be....but only for so long as the tit can be milked. Once it's dry, they will come for those as well.

Reactions: themousethatroared

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sorry, I disagree. I won't concede universal background checks. In order for the UBC to work effectively, you have to have a registration of ALL firearms.
SBR, SBS and silencers (and machine guns and destructive devices) should never have been on the NFA. Ever.
Not even close.

It would work as it does now. No serial number is recorded, just the background of the buyer is checked. But I would like to see anyone able to access the system. That way private party sales can continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not even close.

It would work as it does now. No serial number is recorded, just the background of the buyer is checked. But I would like to see anyone able to access the system. That way private party sales can continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Without a registry of firearms, how would the government know which guns had a check run (and by default said gun owners being checked)?
You are correct that under the current NICS, no serial number is being recorded by the FBI. Ignoring the fact that the serial number is on the 4473, which the ATF have access to whenever they wish. Ignoring the fact that on the 4473 you provide what type of firearm is being purchased. Ignoring the fact that your id number is supplied during the check. OK, so we have your name, address (via the ID number) and type of firearm(s) purchased being provided just to get approval for your right to buy a firearm. If you want to run a private sale background, most FFL's will charge a nominal fee to provide that service. No need for UBC.
So...with UBC in place:
Here's a scenario, during a traffic stop, the firearm in your possession is run for whether or not it had a background check run during the transaction. Without a registry, how would anyone know if a background check was tied to a specific serial number?

41 - 44 of 44 Posts